• Conservative- formal or classical education
    • Liberal- unschooler
    • Liberal- use curricula, but laid back
    • Liberal- formal or classical education
    • Conservative- different approach with different kids
    • Liberal- different approach with different kids
    • Neither conservative nor liberal- unschooler or laid back with curriculum
    • Neither conservative nor liberal- formal or classical education

The thing that bugged me most about the original Slate article was the author's equating "liberal" with "unschooler". I really have no beef with unschooling, but I'm about as politically, religiously and culturally liberal as you can get, and I prefer to use a fairly rigorous, formal education style with my kids. There were many things wrong with her article, but it really got me to thinking about the make-up of the boards here.

So, I'm creating a poll to see how we, on a classical education forum, self-identify.

Thanks for indulging me.

Most "unschoolers" I have run into are very liberal politically, but some are very libertarian. The "unschooling" for them stems from a strong belief in the autonomy of the child and that the child should have the freedom to choose what he/she studies.

Most HSers I know IRL who follow a more structured approach are also liberals because we live in a very liberal area.

The few conservatives I know tend to be either "school-at-home", WTM or other neo-classical, AO or other CM, Core Knowledge, or eclectic-but-structured.

I always come out at the intersection of moderate, conservative, and libertarian on political ideology quizzes and I fall into the eclectic-but-structured category when it comes to HS.

I hate putting people in a box. I think people are individuals and should be treated as such. The stereotypes in that article were as ridiculous as the stereotype that all conservatives drill their kids on Bible and creationism.

Each of my kids gets a different approach based on what works for them. I'm hard to put in a box/label.

I hate putting people in a box. I think people are individuals and should be treated as such. The stereotypes in that article were as ridiculous as the stereotype that all conservatives drill their kids on Bible and creationism.

Each of my kids gets a different approach based on what works for them. I'm hard to put in a box/label.

I know the choices were kind of narrow, but they limit you to 10 poll questions! :D

The article made me cringe with all the stereotypes. The very first unschooler I ever met, before I even had kids, was a conservative Christian. I didn't know what the article was talking about, really, by the term liberal, or what made her equate the term with unschoolers. I don't see what political affiliation has to do with methodology. I understand that she thinks politically liberal people should support public education, but I think she should have addressed that issue separately from the issue of people choosing unschooling/attachment parenting, etc. as a way of life.

I know the choices were kind of narrow, but they limit you to 10 poll questions! :D

The article made me cringe with all the stereotypes. The very first unschooler I ever met, before I even had kids, was a conservative Christian. I didn't know what the article was talking about, really, by the term liberal, or what made her equate the term with unschoolers. I don't see what political affiliation has to do with methodology. I understand that she thinks politically liberal people should support public education, but I think she should have addressed that issue separately from the issue of people choosing unschooling/attachment parenting, etc. as a way of life.

Some issues I lean conservative, some I lean liberal. The writer would probably put me in the conservative camp yet I consider that DH and I practiced attachment parenting - co-sleep, breast feeding, etc. But I choose our history and science to teach down the middle - I want our kids to know about evolution and a view of history that isn't strictly Christian. I want balance. I'm not a literal 7 day creationist. I think God made the world but I'm not overly concerned about how long it took Him to do it or the means He chose to do it.

One kid needs the structure (and boringness IMO) of workbooks. One needs a mix of just about everything. One needs a tutor for his reading.

The public schools they attended we not diverse but they were more diverse than when I was in school. But the schools refused to educate them - claiming their 'issues' prevented that. Since we had neither the money or the energy to fight them we brought them home and I'm sure they've learned a lot more than they ever would in public school. The model just did not work for them. They still insist my oldest is not dyslexic.

Still, I think public schools have their place. I also believe in charters, private, and homeschooling. All of these options should be available so kids can get the best fit for their education.

Some issues I lean conservative, some I lean liberal. The writer would probably put me in the conservative camp yet I consider that DH and I practiced attachment parenting - co-sleep, breast feeding, etc. But I choose our history and science to teach down the middle - I want our kids to know about evolution and a view of history that isn't strictly Christian. I want balance. I'm not a literal 7 day creationist. I think God made the world but I'm not overly concerned about how long it took Him to do it or the means He chose to do it.

:iagree:This is where I stand also.

For the poll I picked the conservative, formal or classical education. But I need to add laid back to that description. For the time being. We will ramp up significantly during high school.

I agree with Parrothead,

I'm laid back during the elementary years, but ramp it up for Jr. High and High School. I do use curriculum programs, but I'm eclectic, I mix and match to find what works for that kid, that year.

I'm conservative, but don't fit neatly into a box- I'm not really a young earth/6 days person, not really sure what I believe there. I try to love my neighbor, even if we are very different.

I thought the assumption that liberal = wealthy + college-educated + white was equally interesting.

Well, affluent, highly educated whites do disproportionately lean to the left politically. In the 2008 election, Obama won among those making <$50k or >$200k. McCain won in the middle-income brackets. Similarly, Obama won among those with less than a H.S. diploma and among those with education beyond a bachelor's degree. The other groups were evenly split.