Menu

MCT Users - Can I pick and choose which books?

jina

I am considering adding in MCT Island next year or over the summer with my 10yo. I know we want to do Grammar Island...and Sentence Island looks interesting, too...but do I "need" to do the Building Language or Music of the Hemispheres books for it to all fit together? We will probably get Practice Island also - so we can follow up with what we learned in GI...

Thanks!

No, not really. I think BL and MotH add a richness to the program, because you see things like poetic devices pop up in SI, and it's fun to see the connections But IMO they are supplementary, and not totally necessary to the program. If you decide to continue on with the Town level, you will see all the information from MotH again in Building Poems.

No, not really. I think BL and MotH add a richness to the program, because you see things like poetic devices pop up in SI, and it's fun to see the connections But IMO they are supplementary, and not totally necessary to the program. If you decide to continue on with the Town level, you will see all the information from MotH again in Building Poems.

Great, thanks. If I continue to Town level...will I need to have had Building Language to be able to use Caesar's English I?

Great, thanks. If I continue to Town level...will I need to have had Building Language to be able to use Caesar's English I?

I couldn't remember exactly how Caesar's English was set up, which is why I didn't say anything about it earlier. :tongue_smilie:But now I've pulled out my book, and it looks like many of the stems from Building Language are covered again in CE1 at a much faster pace.

Building Language focuses on Latin stems like re, sub, port, spect, etc. It only introduces one stem in each lesson. It has cute little poems and encourages the student to write their own poems using those word roots.

Caesar's English I alternates lessons on Latin stems (where it introduces 5 stems at a time) with vocabulary lessons with words from classic literature that are derived from Latin. Lesson 1 covers the stems bi, sub, de, pre, and super. Lesson 2 covers the words countenance, profound, manifest, prodigious, and languor. It focuses on how the words and stems are used in real literature, discusses real Latin phrases, and emphasizes how similar certain words are in English, Latin, and Spanish.

HTH. I tried to do Town level with my dd when she was in 4th grade but it was really too advanced for her. Island had been just right for end of 3rd/beginning of 4th grade (maybe a little bit of a stretch for her, but it was okay). Now that I'm looking over these materials again, I think she'd have a lot of fun with them for the summer after 5th grade, especially now that she's learning both Latin and Spanish. Thanks for getting me to look at them again. :D

No, it is possible to jump in at the "town" level without previously having done MCT assuming that the child is ready to handle to challenge level.

I have decided to skip MoTH at the "island" level with my DS because I think it might be a bit too advanced for him when we do "island" next fall. It looks like all the information in MoTH is repeated in Building Poems so I'll just wait until he does "town".

There is no question that you should get the Practice Island books (or just the TM if you are willing to write out 100 sentences). There is a lot of grammar education and reenforcement that you would not want to miss. It is critical.

Building Language is a gentle and inspirational introduction to thinking of Latin as a romantic "word-bridge" to our past. It plants a nice seed, but is it absolutely "essential?" No, probably not.

The poetry books operate in a different plane of existence. We have (but have not yet used) the Town level book, Building Poems. The Island level book, MotH is really sophisticated. Some elements are easy to grasp (especially with the graphical elements so well complementing the lessons), with ideas like alliteration, assonance, consonance, eye-rhymes, etc., being "easy."

But MotH also includes a pretty deep introduction to formal elements like meter that are uncommonly advanced relative to the rest of the level. As I say, I have not yet reviewed the Town level poetry book, but I strongly doubt I'd want to jump in to poetics at a higher level than the Island books.

Bill