Menu

And all this time you thought fiber was good for you...

I think that they have an agenda-to sell their book that starts with the premise that fiber is bad for you.

And, their answer to any possible detractors will be, "but you have to read the book to decide!" which you can order from them or Amazon. :lol:

I doubt that they are a reputable source of science, but this is just my first impression.

Fiber is found in nature almost wherever sugar/carbs are found. Fruit, grains, vegetables. Fiber has been shown to be highly beneficial long after Graham cracker dude was dead and buried. I am sorry, but honestly this site is a good example to me that you can find anything on the internet. Anything.

Extremes in fiber are not good for you. Certain medical conditions require you to watch your fiber intake. But fiber does have it's place.

:iagree:

Too much fiber depletes one's body of essential minerals. I guess, as with everything, moderation has its place.

:iagree:

Too much fiber depletes one's body of essential minerals. I guess, as with everything, moderation has its place.

Well, you can overdose on beta carotene eating too many carrots. Turn yourself orange (I know 2 people who have!) Doesn't make carrots bad for you. Just that pretty much too much of anything is not a good idea.

Well, you can overdose on beta carotene eating too many carrots. Turn yourself orange (I know 2 people who have!) Doesn't make carrots bad for you. Just that pretty much too much of anything is not a good idea.

:iagree: I suffer from IBS-C (C for constipation). The body needs a certain amount of fiber to move things along YKWIM.

Well, you can overdose on beta carotene eating too many carrots. Turn yourself orange (I know 2 people who have!)

Of course. :iagree:

Doesn't make carrots bad for you.

Yep, true that. :)

Fiber is good for you, not bad for you. I hope you didn't think that I meant that fiber is bad. I didn't say that. Most of us do not need to be concerned about having too much fiber.

pretty much too much of anything is not a good idea.

oh man I know A lot of people that would love to hear that...throw out that salad it has way too much of that fiber stuff:lol:

:lol:

I thought the article was hilarious. ;) Some truth, some opinion, a lot of wild sensationalism... All sorts of fun.

Now, when it comes to fiber, I'm all for eating the fiber that comes *naturally* in *whole* foods. I think taking additional processed fiber (including stuff like psyllium husks) is probably a bad idea for nearly everyone. But consuming generous quantities of fiber in terms of what naturally occurs in leafy green vegetables, whole fruits, nuts, seeds, and (for some people) whole grains and beans is *good*. Sucking down a milkshake with "fiber" added, or weirdly supplemented health foods... No, there's no good evidence to support doing that.

Yes! I eat quite a bit of veggies and fruit and they all have natural fiber. Somewhere he mentioned that he thought natural fiber was okay as it occurred in fruit, perhaps he means not to supplement with fiber on top of that. Could be I misunderstood his stance when I read it the first time.

And yes, the articles are all on the entertaining side which is why I got sucked in. :lol: