Menu

Asynchrony in action.

Rivka

I have to CONSTANTLY remind myself that my son is, in reality, still a baby. I never new this had an official term so thank you for this thread! At 20 months he knows his letter sounds and constantly wants me to show him how to make letters. He is perfectly capable of following 2 step directions "get that toy and go put it back on the shelf". But yesterday he threw a massive tantrum because we had to leave the bookstore where he was playing with the train set. At first I was super frustrated because I thought "you are to old for this". And then I realized I was talking about a 1 year old who still has 1 year old emotions.

• 2 weeks later...

My almost ten year old is writing a book report, a paragraph a chapter, on a book he picked out called "The day we bombed Utah", which is adult non-fiction. "Nana, how do I spell Utah?" "U-T-A-H, spell it back." "U-T-A-Y? That doesn't look right." Later: "Nana, how do I spell bombed?" The book is on his desk next to his paper the entire time. My poor mother.

The other day, my dd7 struggled to solve 3+6. Part of it was stubbornness, but it took her seemingly forever. I even suggested she count on her fingers, but she looked at them and said she didn't remember how:001_huh:.

That same night, she spontaneously came up with this problem while we were eating dinner: "I have some cups of lemonade. I give 4 to you and 3 to dd4. I still have 3 more than Daddy, who has 5. How many did I have to start with?" She figured this out without looking at her fingers, in easily a quarter of the time it took to solve 3+6. :tongue_smilie: Go figure!

The other day, my dd7 struggled to solve 3+6. Part of it was stubbornness, but it took her seemingly forever. I even suggested she count on her fingers, but she looked at them and said she didn't remember how:001_huh:.

That same night, she spontaneously came up with this problem while we were eating dinner: "I have some cups of lemonade. I give 4 to you and 3 to dd4. I still have 3 more than Daddy, who has 5. How many did I have to start with?" She figured this out without looking at her fingers, in easily a quarter of the time it took to solve 3+6. :tongue_smilie: Go figure!

My DD is working on algebra, and will still sometimes do that blank "I don't know what you're talking about" gaze when given a simple addition program. However, she's a human calculator on the live rounds on Mathletics and has no trouble when THEY give her simple operations problems. Sigh....

My DD is working on algebra, and will still sometimes do that blank "I don't know what you're talking about" gaze when given a simple addition program. However, she's a human calculator on the live rounds on Mathletics and has no trouble when THEY give her simple operations problems. Sigh....

So glad to know I'm not alone! My dd is not "mathy" at all, although I have noticed that she gets the concepts pretty easily, even when she can't (won't?) solve simple addition problems. Like your dd, I have a feeling that if I wasn't the one asking the questions, there would be a lot less aggravation. Oh well...

• 1 month later...

Tonight at dinner dd (almost 8) used the following words in conversation: devour, dispose, represent, obviously. There were several others that I forget now, but I noticed because her language was so incongruous with her appearance. She had food on her face, crumbs all over the place, etc. Towards the end of dinner she literally fell out of her chair. We joked that maybe she needs a high chair again! :lol:

This makes me feel so much better, I must say!! We are still memorizing basic math facts; yet, working algebraic equations and multiplying/dividing fractions. In writing, the labor of putting words on paper makes my son squirm in his chair and act as if he is being tortured... but the composition that comes from his brain is more complex and on target than my high school students (I am a high school English teacher). But forget spelling. Sometimes I am not sure where to aim our energies ... the fundamentals or the higher level concepts. The fundamentals bore him to tears. I am hoping, eventually, they will just come to him???? :)

Today during our Thanksgiving meal, my just-turned two-year-old picked up a greenbean, licked it, and said to me, "It's not my preference, Mama."

Last month my 3.5-year-old daughter was being teased by my nephew of the same age. He was hopping after her saying "Arr! Arr! Arr!" She turned and said, "Courtland, you're just a menace!" Then when he wouldn't stop, she ran to me crying.

So at thanksgiving my sister complained that she was going to gain weight if she kept eating dessert, and my ds6 said, "No you won't, you'll gain mass. You can't really gain weight on Earth. If you want to gain weight, you'd have to go to Jupiter or something." Ummm... awkward. This was after he spent the afternoon hiding from the tv b/c The Wizard of Oz was on and he's afraid of the wicked witch of the west.

This is the same child who, at 2, tried to order a Blue Moon b/c he read it on the menu and thought the waitress was actually going to bring him the astronomical variety.

The laughing I have done reading these posts feels SO incredibly good! Thank you all for sharing!