Menu

Do ceiling fans really work with vaulted ceilings?

We moved into our new house in Jan. and it has a very tall vaulted/cathedral ceiling without a fan. It can get quite toasty upstairs but down in the room with the vaulted ceiling (and hard-wood floors) it can be quite chilly. I've heard that having a ceiling fan can help distribute the air a bit better. Is that true? Will I notice a difference in the winter? Or, is it only helpful in the summer?

TIA.

We have ceiling fans in two rooms with vaulted ceilings. Both fans hang down several feet from the ceiling, with metal rods for the wiring and - I think - slightly different mounting bracket.

I just googled and came up with quite a bit of info on it. But where you buy your fan should be able to assist you.

I can reach the chain pulls fairly easily.

We have a vaulted ceiling downstairs in our living room and our upstairs has a loft which is open to the living room (I hope that makes sense). We had a lot of trouble with our upstairs being hot and our downstairs being cold so we installed a ceiling fan upstairs in the loft area and we have one downstairs in the living room. It controls the temperature a lot better in the winter and in the summer. We have the upstairs one rotating counter-clockwise and the downstairs one rotating clockwise but on a very slow speed.

Do they have remotes for fans that change the rotation direction of the fan? The ones I've seen don't. You still have to change the direction manually.

We have a vaulted ceiling downstairs in our living room and our upstairs has a loft which is open to the living room (I hope that makes sense). We had a lot of trouble with our upstairs being hot and our downstairs being cold so we installed a ceiling fan upstairs in the loft area and we have one downstairs in the living room. It controls the temperature a lot better in the winter and in the summer. We have the upstairs one rotating counter-clockwise and the downstairs one rotating clockwise but on a very slow speed.

Do they have remotes for fans that change the rotation direction of the fan? The ones I've seen don't. You still have to change the direction manually.

That makes perfect sense because it's how our house is configured too. I was wondering about putting another fan in the loft area. Thanks for this.

One other suggestion: write down the types of light bulbs the fan takes. When they burn out, you'll either need to hire an electrician with a big ladder to change them or rent a ladder (I rent one at Home Depot when necessary). It's good to be able to buy the bulbs in advance, especially if you're paying an electrician by the hour.