Menu

How Do You Use Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading?

mom2bee

Just as the title asks, I'm wondering how people use this book.

Do you and your students read from the book together, or do you use a whiteboard, or maybe copy the words out onto a paper with a marker and read from that? I'm leaning towards the final option myself as I only have a small white board about 3ft by 2ft and I don't really like it for reading lessons....

Some of my students don't like reading out of the book, and I don't really like it either...

However, copying out each lessons words onto paper with a marker seems cumbersome and typing them up and printing them may violate the copyright...

Help?

I am using this with a second child now. We do anything but have them read from the book. LOL I write on the white board, chalk board, with magnets, blocks, paints, anything to keep it interesting. We change it up a lot. The kids love it, and they are progressing so very well. I just love it. My daughter does better with the book on the few occasions we have been away from home. We use McGuffey and Bob books for practice, but there are a ton of easy readers out there. I just move through the book doing one new lesson and 2 old each day. I read with the children, pointing out the words. Then practice with our readers on them sounding out similar words. When we get about 10 - 20 lessons done we go back and do a quick review over a few days to see what they have retained. If they missed anything, or are struggling we spend a week reviewing then move on again. Some things were harder than others.... like ank, ink, onk, and silent e. I didn't stay on a lesson though.

I a short beginner book and have them read it once daily, if they are stuck on a word I sound it out and move on. I don't want them frustrated when building fluency. We will read three in a row, then drop the first book and add a fourth in and progressing in that fashion. If they get to where they are struggling, we go back to book one and work our way back up again as far as we can.

Reading it hard work, for them and for us !! LOL

I ended up typing all the words & sentences into a word doc, and printing at a much much bigger size (48 font). It was much easier for me to retype it all than to continue using magnetic letters on the whiteboard, or writing on the whiteboard. It also made review happen a lot more often.

I don't think I have any copyright issues as I am not using the words/sentences I copied for anyone outside my family. I'm fairly sure you can copy/retype as long as you don't share.

We use a whiteboard. It's a small one that we just hold though- it's not on the wall. I write on it and hand it to him. Occasionally I do show him what's in the book and it has helped enormously to have had the binding cut off and spiral bound. It makes it much easier to handle.

We've always started with lesson 27, my kids know their letters and sounds from Leap Frog.

In the very beginning I use magnet letters on a cookie sheet. We can just change or add letters as needed.

Then I work on a small, lined white board writing and adding or changing letters. (I don't think mine are magnetic).

Sometimes it's fun to use white board crayons on the sliding glass door ;)

Sometimes, I write one sentence of the little story on the bottom of a booklet and they get to illustrate each page after they read the sentence.

I've typed out lessons 27-90 in Word with just the student portion, and when they're doing pretty well, we transition to that.

They get a sticker on their sticker chart when they complete a lesson. I made "pathways" like the library's summer reading program. They absolutely love this.

Around the late 80s is when my kids have taken off with reading, then we transition to just using the book. I never actually use the script, I skim it, but I talk my kids through using "my" voice.

Both kids that I've attempted this with thus far have had an aversion to reading out of the book. Lately, I've had my daughter create word cards for her word wall. She writes the word and decorates it with markers and stickers, then hangs it up on her word wall. We then read the words from there.

I also tried copying the words for a lesson into a special notebook and having "tea time" while we did the lesson. This was not as popular with her as the words cards on the wall but maybe it will work for someone else.

I like the idea mentioned above of writing in the different color markers of her choosing and then erasing the words as she reads them. I'll try that next. Thanks.

For both of my children, I only used a white board in the beginning and then gradually transitioned out of it. For my DS, I would write half the sentences on the board, and then he would read half from the book. Once we got to the point where he could start reading early readers, then I used those books as rewards for completing the OPGTR lesson directly from the book.

I ended up typing all the words & sentences into a word doc, and printing at a much much bigger size (48 font). It was much easier for me to retype it all than to continue using magnetic letters on the whiteboard, or writing on the whiteboard. It also made review happen a lot more often.

I don't think I have any copyright issues as I am not using the words/sentences I copied for anyone outside my family. I'm fairly sure you can copy/retype as long as you don't share.

:iagree: I do the same

I didn't discover OPGTTR until dd was pretty far into phonics and was 5 years old. So for her we started about half way through the book and just read from it. Now I'm starting it with ds at a younger age and for him right now I'm using the AAS letter tiles on a white board. I spell the word with tiles and he then touches each tile and makes its sound and then blends it. After we go through the words this way, I write a sentence on the white board and we read it. After he is really reading more one his own, we will switch to just the book.

:iagree:

No copyright violation if you're just using it for your own family and you already own a copy.

DD8 used it as is and that worked fine. For fun, though, I re-typed it using the names of the kids in our family for the characters. I also altered some of the story lines. The kids working on it now think it's hilarious and can't wait to do it! It really didn't take that long.

We had to borrow the book from the library for a long time. When we bought it, the first thing I did was take it to Office Max and have them chop the spine off and spiral bind it. I HATED having to try and hold that huge book open with one hand and point at the words with the other.

After he got bored reading out of the book, I'd just write the words and sentences on the white board or chalk board. For some of the patterned words like ank, ink, and onk, I'd write the ending on the left side of an index card and then write the various beginning letters on the right side of the card. We'd practice those as necessary.

Right now we are reading right out of the book most of the time, but DD is incredibly bored with phonics/reading so we are looking for some new ideas. I like the white board with colored markers idea. I will often write the sentence out on a paper and have DD read it then draw a picture to match.

We rarely read from the book. At first we were creating the words with Melissa and Doug magnet letters on the carpet or a cookie sheet. Then I started writing them down in a notebook for him. Now I've been writing them in "Noteshelf" on my iPad and he uses his finger to draw lines under them as he reads. I'm finding that he can spell the words much easier than he can read them (?:001_huh:?) so I'm considering purchasing AAS1 now rather than later. We talk about the sounds being presented, maybe go over the words on the page quickly, then he fingerspells them in Noteshelf. I also just purchased a lap sized magnetic whiteboard so I'll probably put that to use too. We like to mix it up!

I type up a whole bunch of lessons about once every two or three weeks. I type them in size 16 point and put quite a few spaces between them. I then print them all off double-sided and sit down with my son and do one to two sides, usually between 8-15 sentences. I'll draw pictures for each sentence which he really enjoys; although I think he might try drawing some of the sentences now too.

Since this is my first time teaching phonics I'll add in any notes that I as a teacher need, but I really only open the book when I type the sentences out, as a quick reference, or for the games. We're currently around Lesson 90 and so we'll see if we change things over the next few months or not.