Menu

Dr. Hive; Is this Fibro., adrenals, or something else?

Can you stand another Dr. Hive thread? My dh is pushing me to go to the dr and I need to know what to ask him. Someone has suggested Fibromyalgia, but I am not sure. If it is, what should I ask the dr.?

Here are my symptoms:

Joint pain (last 18 mos) It comes and goes, sometimes the joints 'pop' a a lot when I move. It seems worse in the hips, shoulders, and arms, but also occurs in the ankles, back, neck, etc. The last few months it has been so bad that I can't stand in one place, but must be constantly on the move (hence Dh's insistence on a dr. visit). Sometimes it wakes me up in the night.

Incredible lack of energy. Sometimes my muscle strength is so low I can't open a jar or carry something. I also feel like I need to sit down a bunch, and can never get going. Some days are better than others.

Low level nausea. This comes and goes, but is very frequent.

May or may not be related: I have this weird rash around my mouth that no one notices (because it is my lip color), but sometimes feels like it itches or burns; I also have brown spots at my forehead that seem like they are spreading.

I have always been very healthy and active, and this is making me unrecognizable to all who love me. I need to get off my butt and do something about it!

Thanks! (Today is a 'bad' day, or I would not have posted. I appreciate any and all responses, as I really need to figure this out).

:grouphug: That sounds unpleasant. I'm glad your DH is hassling you.

Get your thyroid checked. Ask specifically for these tests: TSH, free T3, and free T4. Often docs neglect to order the correct tests for T3 and T4, because they don't know the difference.

Ask for routine bloodwork, and also get vitamin B12 and vitamin D checked.

Do you live somewhere Lyme disease is a risk?

Any history of autoimmune disease in your family?

Any GI problems (other than nausea)?

If your primary care doc can't find anything, I'd probably ask to be referred to a rheumatologist and then an allergist.

If all else fails, consider trying a gluten free diet.

:grouphug:

:grouphug: That sounds unpleasant. I'm glad your DH is hassling you.

Get your thyroid checked. Ask specifically for these tests: TSH, free T3, and free T4. Often docs neglect to order the correct tests for T3 and T4, because they don't know the difference.

Ask for routine bloodwork, and also get vitamin B12 and vitamin D checked.

Do you live somewhere Lyme disease is a risk?

Any history of autoimmune disease in your family?

Any GI problems (other than nausea)?

If your primary care doc can't find anything, I'd probably ask to be referred to a rheumatologist and then an allergist.

If all else fails, consider trying a gluten free diet.

Thanks, jplain~ I am printing your post so that I can take it with me. We do eat gluten-free, and it does seem like when I go 'off the wagon' I feel worse. We are in a Lyme area, too, so that is something I will ask about. Sigh.

Thank you!

Can you stand another Dr. Hive thread? My dh is pushing me to go to the dr and I need to know what to ask him. Someone has suggested Fibromyalgia, but I am not sure. If it is, what should I ask the dr.?

Here are my symptoms:

Joint pain (last 18 mos) It comes and goes, sometimes the joints 'pop' a a lot when I move. It seems worse in the hips, shoulders, and arms, but also occurs in the ankles, back, neck, etc. The last few months it has been so bad that I can't stand in one place, but must be constantly on the move (hence Dh's insistence on a dr. visit). Sometimes it wakes me up in the night.

Incredible lack of energy. Sometimes my muscle strength is so low I can't open a jar or carry something. I also feel like I need to sit down a bunch, and can never get going. Some days are better than others.

May or may not be related: I have this weird rash around my mouth that no one notices (because it is my lip color), but sometimes feels like it itches or burns; I also have brown spots at my forehead that seem like they are spreading.

I have always been very healthy and active, and this is making me unrecognizable to all who love me. I need to get off my butt and do something about it!

Thanks! (Today is a 'bad' day, or I would not have posted. I appreciate any and all responses, as I really need to figure this out).

Please get checked for Lyme disease....Western Blot...and ask them to check for co-infection as well. Many of your symptoms sound like Lyme.

Faithe

Fibro is a last resort diagnosis. They'll have to rule out Lime, Lupus, RA, and several others.

Fibro pain is more muscle pain. Not joint pain.

Un refreshing sleep is also a major symptom of fibro.

I hope it is NOT fibro for you. I am in TERRIBLE fibro pain now. I hope you can get a real solid diagnosis for something that can actually be treated and you can get better.

Fibro is a last resort diagnosis. They'll have to rule out Lime, Lupus, RA, and several others.

Fibro pain is more muscle pain. Not joint pain.

Un refreshing sleep is also a major symptom of fibro.

I hope it is NOT fibro for you. I am in TERRIBLE fibro pain now. I hope you can get a real solid diagnosis for something that can actually be treated and you can get better.

Pam, I am so sorry you are in pain. I have been hearing something about low levels of lithium orotate for fibro pain (it's over the counter). If I can find a good link I will let you know.

My pain is hard to describe... when I try to 'find' it with my mind it seems to move. Ugh. I hate this!

Much of what you describe does sound like what I have. I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for 20 years. But fibromyalgia is a syndrome - not a disease. A syndrome is a collection of symptoms (some you listed, some you didn't). These symptoms can go back to a number of different causes. I've had some relief from a number of therapies: thyroid medicine for hypothyroid, high doses of vitamin D for a deficiency, even anti-parasitics for parasites.

Much of what you describe does sound like what I have. I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for 20 years. But fibromyalgia is a syndrome - not a disease. A syndrome is a collection of symptoms (some you listed, some you didn't). These symptoms can go back to a number of different causes. I've had some relief from a number of therapies: thyroid medicine for hypothyroid, high doses of vitamin D for a deficiency, even anti-parasitics for parasites.

Thanks, Jean, I have read so many of your posts on this and appreciate your transparency. I hope I can find a doctor that can help me find the roots of this!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Thank you all so much for your kind words in my distress!

I did find some one to help me start the process. My tests show that everything is in normal range, except for Vitamin D which is extremely low. The dr. feels my adrenals are out of whack (low blood pressure, some sort of eye test, and lifestyle factors) so I am reading an Adrenal book, reducing coffee, upping mild exercise, etc. etc. along with taking extra magnesium and vitamin D.

Most importantly my diet has been very off track even though I have been feeding the family well (I cheat when I am out grocery shopping!). I have gone back on a strict diet and after an initial period of worse nausea and headache I went to sleep for hours and hours in the middle of the day. I woke up from this extended nap feeling better than I have in months! So I obviously need to stay on this wagon!

Thank you all for being good friends and giving me words of advice in this situation! I wish good health back to you and all yours, :grouphug:

Here are my symptoms:

Get tested for Lyme Disease. A Western Blot, not just the Elissas......LOOK at the results yourself. Ask for them. More than 5 bars is positive. This sounds like it could be Lyme.

Faithe

I did find some one to help me start the process. My tests show that everything is in normal range, except for Vitamin D which is extremely low. The dr. feels my adrenals are out of whack (low blood pressure, some sort of eye test, and lifestyle factors) so I am reading an Adrenal book, reducing coffee, upping mild exercise, etc. etc. along with taking extra magnesium and vitamin D.

Most importantly my diet has been very off track even though I have been feeding the family well (I cheat when I am out grocery shopping!). I have gone back on a strict diet and after an initial period of worse nausea and headache I went to sleep for hours and hours in the middle of the day. I woke up from this extended nap feeling better than I have in months! So I obviously need to stay on this wagon!

Thank you all for being good friends and giving me words of advice in this situation! I wish good health back to you and all yours, :grouphug:

I'm glad that you are on your way.

I'm so glad you're getting attention and results!

I was recently dx'ed with "mild" fibro (ha!), and my dr. just kinda shrugged his shoulders. A local friend of mine was dx'ed years ago, and has yet to find a dr. in the region who has helped, so I'm not very optomistic. :glare: I really need to get better about my diet. :tongue_smilie: