Menu

Ground beef recipes - I need lots of them!

We have half a cow in our freezer, from my parents. (They are so sweet!) ...But I have to admit I have no clue what to do with all the ground beef.

I was a veggie for 20 years. We are (obviously) carnivorous again, but I am still squeamish about cooking beef, ground beef in particular.

Any ideas on items I can make ahead and freeze? (Can I thaw the meat long enough to cook it, then quickly freeze it again, or is that a no no?)

We have multiple allergies, so some foods are out (mostly nuts and seeds, a few other items). We're also gluten-free - spaghetti sauce is great but we don't do gluten-free pasta very often so I don't want to fill the freezer with spaghetti sauce.

I have a good chili recipe, and DH sometimes makes burgers. But we need more ideas!

Any help would be wonderful.

Edited by Spryte
Terrible typo!

I think it's fine to thaw, cook and freeze to reheat. At least, I hope it's fine, because I've certainly done that many times.

Meatballs can be gf - and they don't have to be with spaghetti. You could eat them on gf buns as meatball sandwiches or just on their own.

We use ground meat for tacos a good bit - you can't make and freeze that, but it's really easy to thaw and cook it quickly.

Any ideas on items I can make ahead and freeze? (Can I thaw the meat long enough to cook it, then quickly freeze it again, or is that a no no?)

Yes, you can thaw it and cook it and freeze again.

I like to make buritto filling. I use garlic, onion, maybe turnip or carrot if I have excess of either, peppers, and tomatoes, plus some seasoning. I might add a can of corn if I want to stretch the filling even further. And I might add beans. I freeze it in one-family-meal portions.

Another option is shepard's pie - for that, root veggies are nice, or perhaps mushrooms, and I add a "white sauce"/gravy made with beef broth instead of milk. Top with pastry, biscuits, or mashed potatoes.

I also will sometimes freeze just the plain browned meat, in single-meal portions. That lets me add it to whatever dish I'm improving.

I often cook ground beef, drain and then freeze it. It's so handy for putting a meal together at a later date. I add water (at least half as much as the ground beef) while cooking. It prevents splattering and spitting. Then I drain in a collander. I think adding the water while cooking helps more of the excess fat drain away when draining.

In addition to the already mentioned, I will add: enchiladas (use corn tortillas), meat loaf (I use oatmeal not crackers/bread/stuffing in mine), super nachos (taco meat, beans, lettuce, tomato, salsa, etc on corn chips), lasagna (use zuchini instead of noodles for gf), and like the sloppy joe baked potatoes, you can also do taco meat potatoes!