Menu

math question

craftymama

I'm looking at math programs. Is there a way to determine which level my child is at? He's six and should be in first grade, but when I read the first grade materials I think we've covered most of it. The question then becomes did I cover it well enough? So, is there an assessment to give me a better idea?

Most math programs have a placement test of some sort. Pick the program, not the level. Once you have decided on a program, use the placement test to determine level. It's not that unusual for bright kids to learn addition and subtraction on their own before they start first grade. If the placement test places him in 2nd grade level of the program you've chosen, start there. If there are certain topics on the placement test that he missed, you could cover those on their own.

In first grade, I would want to make sure my child has:

- been given a good understanding of place value - ie, 23 is 2 tens, 3 ones

- learned addition/subtraction within 20, though I wouldn't expect all the facts to be memorized yet - they should know how to figure it out even if recall isn't instant

Now depending on the program, there may be more. For example, some programs introduce multiplication in first grade, and some do multi-digit addition/subtraction in columns (probably not including regrouping). That's why you need to take a placement test for the program you have selected. The scope and sequence will be vastly different, depending on the program you choose.

I wouldn't say that "most" publishers have placement tests. Saxon, ACE, CLE, and Alpha Omega do; publishers like ABeka, BJUP, and Rod and Staff do not.:) Teaching Textbooks has placement tests, but they don't have first or second grade.

With a 6yo, I'd just start with first grade arithmetic.

I wouldn't say that "most" publishers have placement tests. Saxon, ACE, CLE, and Alpha Omega do; publishers like ABeka, BJUP, and Rod and Staff do not.:) Teaching Textbooks has placement tests, but they don't have first or second grade.

Every publisher I've thought about using has had one, but I've never looked at A Beka, BJU, or R&S for math. :)

I'd still say "most". I can name off the top of my head more that do than don't. ;)