Menu

Partitioning a dog crate for a puppy... creatively

We just did this for our puppy and it has worked great so far. We stuffed it full of cardboard boxes (two large diapers boxes and a Sonlight box) so that about 2/3 of it is inaccessible and tucked a blanket under and on top of and around the boxes.

And your puppy isn't trying to chew the blanket or boxes? My dh suggested cardboard but I was skeptical (chewing). Glad to hear it's working for you!

Nope, we did a litter of malteeses this way to keep them close to mom while weening them. They could not nurse this way, but didn't cry either. :)

I folded the edges and took extra care to bend the ends too. I thought all about that.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like you wouldn't have thought about it... I think I'm just in psycho first-time puppy mom mode. Your solution is ingenious; going to send dh out for chicken wire tomorrow.

We just did this for our puppy and it has worked great so far. We stuffed it full of cardboard boxes (two large diapers boxes and a Sonlight box) so that about 2/3 of it is inaccessible and tucked a blanket under and on top of and around the boxes.

I'd be very concerned that the pup would chew the blanket, ingest some, block, and then require surgery or worse. I don't think this is a safe arrangement.

astrid

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like you wouldn't have thought about it... I think I'm just in psycho first-time puppy mom mode. Your solution is ingenious; going to send dh out for chicken wire tomorrow.

I just meant that I had similar concerns. :) I thought nothing of it. I am in overtime with my head cold and just answering anything and everything while my stupid mail merges run!

You know. Come to think of it. We still have that crate. We kept all of the puppies but two! :lol: At one time, we had six of those little furry buggers running around. I just yell box and they all run to the crate!

Twist ties freak me out. They have a wire running down their center which could all too easily perforate the gut if eaten.

Get a piece of plywood cut to size (or some kind of board you might already have laying around somewhere) and drill some holes in it and secure it with some plastic cable ties.

Personally, I feel that rigging up some sort of partition in a crate carries too great a risk for my pups. If it were me, I'd buy or borrow a smaller crate or a crate divider until such time as the pup was big enough to be allowed in the entire crate. It can only take an instant for a disaster to happen.

astrid