Menu

Math Mammoth Calculator Use?

Roxy Roller

I am thinking about switching to MM. I am wondering if those of you who use MM let your children use the calculator on the questions that Maria indicates. I was planning on waiting until Algebra before I let my DC use a calculator, and I am not sure how to handle this if it comes up.

I believe the calculator is used in 5A, but I am not sure if it is introduced earlier than that. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, I think that you could without harm, and I do.

FWIW, I don't see a problem with a calculator once they have proven that they can handle the computations aggressively, which is typically late Algebra I or after. So many programs now move so fast and deeply through the content, that I can't see it being a problem using it earlier either. You will need to be the judge.

I think that's correct. FWIW, I did not let my dd use a calculator with MM, though I did not assign many/most of the calculator problems.

Thank you, I didn't think about the fact that we could just skip some of the questions.

Yes, I think that you could without harm, and I do.

FWIW, I don't see a problem with a calculator once they have proven that they can handle the computations aggressively, which is typically late Algebra I or after. So many programs now move so fast and deeply through the content, that I can't see it being a problem using it earlier either. You will need to be the judge.

I really do not want my DC to rely on a calculator. I can see that they would need it in higher levels of math, but I think that right now they need to over-practice their basic computation skills.

I really do not want my DC to rely on a calculator. I can see that they would need it in higher levels of math, but I think that right now they need to over-practice their basic computation skills.

:iagree: We use RS and she includes calculator work. I skip those lessons or parts of lessons.

For basic practice with arithmetic? No. Where the use of the calculator is used to reinforce concepts not practiced much... or where the goal of the problem is something OTHER than the arithmetic, then yes.

For example, doing exponents. While multiplying 5 to the 3rd power isn't onerous, nor is 12 to the 3rd, this is a concept that isn't practiced much throughout the year, but still needs reinforcement. The section had problems doing things like 12 to the 12th power. While you might be able to get away without the practice, doing something like 12 to the 12th power w/o a calculator seems like cruel and unusual punishment. I do feel like the extra practice with the concept helps solidify it in their little brains. They don't see exponents very often, it's just a small section, then they won't see them again until later.

I know there have been other sections that have used the calculator. Many were fairly involved word problems (6A). The goal of those problems was more in the process of how you would figure out the steps, than the arithmetic. IME, understanding the process (especially in more advanced math and more complicated word problems) is just as important as the mechanics of the arithmetic.

So... yes. We do the calculator problems, with the calculator. IMO, it's not excessive usage, and still relevant.

For basic practice with arithmetic? No. Where the use of the calculator is used to reinforce concepts not practiced much... or where the goal of the problem is something OTHER than the arithmetic, then yes.

For example, doing exponents. While multiplying 5 to the 3rd power isn't onerous, nor is 12 to the 3rd, this is a concept that isn't practiced much throughout the year, but still needs reinforcement. The section had problems doing things like 12 to the 12th power. While you might be able to get away without the practice, doing something like 12 to the 12th power w/o a calculator seems like cruel and unusual punishment. I do feel like the extra practice with the concept helps solidify it in their little brains. They don't see exponents very often, it's just a small section, then they won't see them again until later.

I know there have been other sections that have used the calculator. Many were fairly involved word problems (6A). The goal of those problems was more in the process of how you would figure out the steps, than the arithmetic. IME, understanding the process (especially in more advanced math and more complicated word problems) is just as important as the mechanics of the arithmetic.

So... yes. We do the calculator problems, with the calculator. IMO, it's not excessive usage, and still relevant.

Thank you for your response. I can see where one might use a calculator with exponents and understanding processes. I guess I need to rethink my original plans. It is nice to know the calculator is not used excessively.

I can see where one might use a calculator with exponents and understanding processes.

See, with the idea that you could "see" where to use it, I would say nope - and no way.

You have to be secure and have over-mastered the ability to do the computations before I would as standard practice allow a calculator. Again, you can't let age but the content determine this too.

With that said, again, I see no harm in letting them tackle HOW to use the calculator. I think that MM started a bit early with this, but learning how to use and using it are different. :) IMO of course ...

If it helps with your decision - Singapore schools allow sixth graders to use calculators for the challenging word problems in test papers (section C, which accounts for 20% of the marks) but not for the computation questions (section A) or routine word problems (section B).

The goal of those problems was more in the process of how you would figure out the steps, than the arithmetic. IME, understanding the process (especially in more advanced math and more complicated word problems) is just as important as the mechanics of the arithmetic.

This is exactly how I approach this issue.