Menu

Books about drugs for kids?

A friend of mine is preparing to have the "drug talk" with her 2 boys soon (they are 12 and 9), and asked if I knew of a good book that she could use. I figured I would turn to the Hive and see if you all had anything to recommend.

She wants accurate info, not DARE-like scare tactics, but written at a an appropriate level for her boys. Any ideas?

You might try this sight for articles or book suggestions. They will be from a conservative Christian perspective. Dh and I have been attending conferences and I remember references to books about drugs and advice for parenting teens through these issues but I'm drawing a blank right now in titles or authors. I will check my class notes tomorrow when I'm back in the office but in the meantime there are some great resources here.

• 5 months later...

Has she spoken to them about other peer pressure issues she could relate it to? When I discussed it with my kids I didn't use books so I can't help you out with titles. What I did was discuss WHY some people try drugs. Explaining how it often feels good in the moment to use them. We discussed many forms of drugs and the effects they have on the body. In our case our old neighbor boy was mainly a pothead but tried a few other things too. Even though many believe smoking weed is okay, by living next to him and seeing him 20 yrs old, living in his momma's basement, no high school diploma, no job no future becuase he spent his days drinking and smoking pot it brought that message home to them. Now I did go online and show them before and after pictures of meth users and we talked at length about the risks with that one and how it is different from other drugs. We roled played different scenarios where drugs may be present or offered. And I shared my person experiences. I have never used drugs, I am one parent that can say that without lieing to them BUT I spent most of my high school days with the users and sellers. It was a weird situation in that I never agreed with drug use, but those were among my best friends, they all knew my beliefs on it, so all through high school no one ever even offered me any let alone tried to pressure me. So I was around it all the time. Most of those friends had been through the same "just say no" program at school in 5th grade (it wasn't dare back then, it was just say no with a big rooster mascot). Obviously those programs are not the answer. Mainly because I think they do focus on fear mongering, and not telling the kids that yes it will feel good when you first try xyz drug but it isn't safe because of abc. I know many of my friends back then initially felt lied to because they couldn't see how something painted as so evil could feel so good kwim.

I started talking with them about drugs at around age 8 and have never stopped. The same goes for smoking, drinking and sex. I have not found a book to be necessary if you are just open with your kids and matter of fact.

ETA: dang it I should have seen the dates on the OP, sucked into a resurrected thread...

Edited by swellmomma

?? There wasn't a link in the last post...

No idea why this old thread just shows up but I never realized there was no link in the original so just in case your friend hasn't had the talk 5 months later...here's the website. It is a biblical counseling site and there are links to resources about drugs and other issues in the resources and bookstore section.

http://Www.nanc.org

We used some documentaries on netflix as well. Might be intense for a 9 year old, but the one on crystal meth was scary as heck, and followed real people. It showed the teeth falling out, etc. As that is a drug that is on the rise, cheap, and horrid, I really wanted to cover that one well.