Menu

Church Culture and Breastfeeding (Synagogues, Mosques, Temples, etc. included)

What is the culture in your place of worship?  

1. 1. What is the culture in your place of worship?

• Mothers nurse their babies in the services.
    • Mothers go to a nursery or cryroom to nurse.
    • Mothers may go to the nursery or cryroom, but nurse behind a screen.
    • Mothers must find some other corner of the building to nurse.
    • Mothers typically or are expected to pump and bring a bottle.
    • Obligatory Other.

:iagree:Yep, this. Although woman can (and have) nursed everywhere in our building. It's truly up to the mother and what she feels comfortable with. I vote for the Lazy-boy rockers in the Mother's Lounge, but have nursed in Relief Society and in the Primary room as well.

:iagree:

I'll add Young Women's room to that list along with the foyer.

My favorite comment from a primary age girl was that her little sister hadn't learned how to eat like that yet. LOL!:lol:

I voted "cry room/nursery" because that is what most people end up doing. However, I know several people who do nurse in the service and no one minds. I do like that we have the room available. I used it because my babies were never very discreet nursers, plus the chairs in our cry room are nice cushy armchairs and it's just more comfy. We do have a video baby monitor in there that allows moms to watch and hear the entire service.

I guess that depends what 'day' you're talking about. Here's a letter to the editor that was published in an American magazine 200 years ago. It seems pretty much identical to a lot of the complaints that are heard today.

On Taking Infants to Church

Vexatious. :lol:

Vexatious is as vexatious does, methinks. Lord have mercy.

Vexatious. :lol:

Vexatious is as vexatious does, methinks. Lord have mercy.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that even the woman who wrote the reply on the next page -- supporting women who nursed in church -- acknowledged that there were many men who went to the services primarily in order to ogle them. :blink:

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that even the woman who wrote the reply on the next page -- supporting women who nursed in church -- acknowledged that there were many men who went to the services primarily in order to ogle them. :blink:

< clicking again to read reply >

True, LOL. But she gave that "morose old jockey" an earful, didn't she? She sounded like someone who'd post on this board were she still with us today.

Edited by milovaný

< clicking again to read reply >

True, LOL. But she gave that "morose old jockey" an earful, didn't she? She sounded like someone who'd post on this board were she still with us today.

Yes, Sarah Touchstone sounds like she was a feisty spirit. And she had a great name. :001_smile:

I think those might have been the days when a mother would just hoist the necessary parts up through the top of her dress. Not much left to the imagination there! I imagine those oglers would be disappointed with the way things are typically done now, with two-piece outfits or specially made nursing dresses. They might just give up and keep their eyes on the hymn books, instead of the her books. ;)

I posted other, because I honestly don't know.

We belonged to a different church when I was nursing, and when there, I found an empty classroom to nurse in. I sang in the choir, and it was a weekly ritual for me to be summoned from the choir loft to nurse my child. Noone would have objected to me nursing in the nursery, although there was no privacy and I wasn't comfortable nursing in the open. I heard of women nursing during the main service in the sanctuary, but I never saw it myself.

Our current church is much larger, and we joined after the dc were older, so I really don't know the particulars of where nursing mothers nurse, but I can say I've never seen anyone nursing in the sanctuary (I do have a bird's eye view from the choir loft), and, in general, babies are encouraged to be in the nursery during services.

In our current church, this is generally a matter of practicality rather than expectation. It is a historic building, so there is no cry room and the building cannot be renovated for one. (The nursery is in a small building next to the church.) I'm sure some very skinny, very flexible women could nurse their babes on the back-breaking, narrow pews, but I know I couldn't do it... I'd actually be afraid to risk it. I'd probably break something. :D

Usually in our parish it is what the mom is comfortable with. I usually nursed in the pew. We have a room just outside the nave that has a few toys and some good nursing chairs so a mom can nurse and if she has a toddler as well he or she will have something to do. Some moms will also bring their babies down to the nursery and nurse them there.

I have never once in 5 years seen ANYONE nurse a baby in any part of our church. And it's a good thing we weren't here when mine were little because I would have bucked that trend! Really, here it is considered abnormal (aberrant?) to nurse beyond 6-9 months ... My IRL friends have no idea that I tandem nursed, or that my kids nursed til 3.5 and 5 years old.