Menu

Questions regarding HOD CtC

miracleone

For those of you using HOD CtC, did you use ALL including their LA, writing and Science suggestions? If not, what did you use for those subjects? I need a lot of handholding when it comes to teaching grammar and composition. If I don't use their LA program (R&S english and Writing with the Best for writing, will I miss out on what's in their LA guide?) How do you like HOD CtC?

Thank you!

Edited by miracleone
added question

Hi! My 7th grader is using CtC this year. He uses the extension package and all of the LA suggestions and assignments. He uses it pretty much "as is" except we have replaced the science with BJU Life Science 7. He is advanced in Science, especially Life Science, and he preferred to use the BJU. The only portion of of the Science that he is using is the portion that goes along with The History of Medicine book, because I just especially like that portion of the lessons.

I believe you could substitute the LA recommendations with other things if you prefer to do so. I love the LA and have even dropped another spelling curriculum in favor of the studied dictation, which is going great.

Hi! My 7th grader is using CtC this year. He uses the extension package and all of the LA suggestions and assignments. He uses it pretty much "as is" except we have replaced the science with BJU Life Science 7. He is advanced in Science, especially Life Science, and he preferred to use the BJU. The only portion of of the Science that he is using is the portion that goes along with The History of Medicine book, because I just especially like that portion of the lessons.

I believe you could substitute the LA recommendations with other things if you prefer to do so. I love the LA and have even dropped another spelling curriculum in favor of the studied dictation, which is going great.

I am planning to use it with my upcoming 5th grader. She likes notebooking and hands-on activities. Her grammar exposure is mostly things she learned at Classical Conversations and some IEW writing. Did you find the LA easy to follow with answer keys especially for the writing portion? Is CtC right for a 5th grader? We are loosely using SL Core D history right now but I need more structure that's why HOD looks really good and might just fit our needs. Does your son enjoy it?

I am planning to use it with my upcoming 5th grader. She likes notebooking and hands-on activities. Her grammar exposure is mostly things she learned at Classical Conversations and some IEW writing. Did you find the LA easy to follow with answer keys especially for the writing portion? Is CtC right for a 5th grader? We are loosely using SL Core D history right now but I need more structure that's why HOD looks really good and might just fit our needs. Does your son enjoy it?

If your daughter likes notebooking and hands-on activities and also fits into CTC according to HOD's placement chart, then she will probably love it. I have a 4th grader doing Bigger Hearts with the extensions and he would not be ready to do CTC in 5th grade but he truly detests notebooking and can take or leave hands-on activities. The writing in CTC would be too much for him for next year but I think he will do fine with it when he gets there for 6th grade. He will use Preparing Hearts when he finishes Bigger Hearts.

The LA has been very easy to follow. We usually consolidate the assignments from Write With the Best. I mean, he will usually do two or three days worth of the assignments in one day. The lessons are very short and simple to understand. I have never found a need for any of the answer keys.

We really LOVE Sonlight and have done three cores and most of a fourth. However, we now use HOD because I personally (alot of different opinions about this, this is just mine :)) think that HOD challenges them more and that the assignments, especially the writing, are more organized and easier to teach which makes it a better fit for us. With SL, we read ALOT and we talked ALOT and they learned a ton but I didn't feel like they were doing as much as I wanted them to do with the information. We are still reading through the fourth SL Core that we are reading, but I use those books as Storytime for HOD or just as extra reading. We like to read though and I don't worry about fitting the books into HOD's genres.

Both of my sons like HOD alot though they are normal boys and hardly a day goes by that they don't find something to groan about... though that's not always HOD, sometimes it's math, or whatever. The CTC notebook that my son is building is just gorgeous. I am seeing alot of growth in his written narrations. He really does enjoy it but he didn't like the Science in Preparing Hearts (he did that in 5th grade, then used SL in 6th, and back to HOD for 7th). He didn't think it was "Sciency" enough. If your daughter likes notebooking and the hands-on activities, she may just love the Science. We do like the books and read them for extra reading.

Frankly, my sons would probably be happier with just SL but they wouldn't be making the strides they are making, I am pretty sure of that. And, they do enjoy HOD, too.

For those of you using HOD CtC, did you use ALL including their LA, writing and Science suggestions? If not, what did you use for those subjects? I need a lot of handholding when it comes to teaching grammar and composition. If I don't use their LA program (R&S english and Writing with the Best for writing, will I miss out on what's in their LA guide?) How do you like HOD CtC?

Thank you!

You won't miss anything in the guide by doing your own LA in CTC. These are totally separate programs. In earlier programs, HOD used the poetry sections to write or HOD's own ideas, but none of it really, truly corresponds with anything you'd miss in the program.

WWTB is a little tricky but a bit of advice, do not use it for grammar. It uses good classical books (blurbs come with the program) to find some grammar, but it's found in context of what makes a good sentence or paragraph. There are some answer keys in the back and really I use it for writing introduction. DD is learning what makes a good sentence and that's the main issue. That you need description and a decent use of words to convey all senses when describing or talking, creating characters or paragraphs, etc. You learn to write dialogue, fable, descriptive paragraph, etc.

The only thing I'm not using is Dithor, because I like answers and there are none, LOL. Otherwise we use CTC completely as written. As one who needs answers and hand holding, I haven't had too many issues with any of that being a problem. Also if she likes to write, as in narrations, copywork, she'll have her fill. The notebooking pages are really nice and include drawings, writing, timeline drawing, mapping. The questions in CTC in Science you'll need to find to make sure she's correct, but they lead the student in how to find answer by giving the page numbers, so for you, answers are easy to find. Some of it at this point isn't about the right answer it's about learning how to find it and coming up with their own conclusions. Some is having a complete narration vs topical/detail.

As long as she places in CTC correctly you won't have any problems. We do a different math, so it adds time to our day. We take all 5 days to do the 4-day week. My dd likes to talk and discuss as well. We also use CLE LA and not R&S.

We did all the LA except DITHOR. Personally, I think the program could also stand on its own very well without WWTB. We did WWTB, and it's great if you have a child who likes to write and could use input on style, but I think WWTB would be better for grades 6-8. There is plenty of writing in the CTC guide as well as a touch here and there in R&S.

Overall, we loved CTC. It's a brilliant mix of activities, and my son really blossomed in his LA skills that year.

We did all the LA except DITHOR. Personally, I think the program could also stand on its own very well without WWTB. We did WWTB, and it's great if you have a child who likes to write and could use input on style, but I think WWTB would be better for grades 6-8. There is plenty of writing in the CTC guide as well as a touch here and there in R&S.

Overall, we loved CTC. It's a brilliant mix of activities, and my son really blossomed in his LA skills that year.

I agree with your assessment on WWTB being better for older. I use it strictly for informative....a peg hanger so-to-speak. Dithor would be phenomonal if it was a program used with specific books WITH ANSWERS!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!

We are using science as written. Rod and Staff is a bit much for us and we only used it for a bit before changing to LLATL.

We really like the format of HOD, but CTC has been really Bible history heavy. We are about 8 units into it and my dd11 when asked about CTC says she enjoys it but that it is just Bible history. Those are her words and I can tell that she is getting burned out with the amount of Bible in CTC from the history sections to the basic storytime and the extensions when added to the Bible quiet time and Bible study with the Genesis book...I think she feels that she is studying Bible for everything but Language Arts, science, and math.

Edited by OpenMinded

We are using science as written. Rod and Staff is a bit much for us and we only used it for a bit before changing to LLATL.

We really like the format of HOD, but CTC has been really Bible history heavy. We are about 8 units into it and my dd11 when asked about CTC says she enjoys it but that it is just Bible history. Those are her words and I can tell that she is getting burned out with the amount of Bible in CTC from the history sections to the basic storytime and the extensions when added to the Bible quiet time and Bible study with the Genesis book...I think she feels that she is studying Bible for everything but Language Arts, science, and math.

Is it really too much Bible? Is your dd still liking it ?

Is it really too much Bible? Is your dd still liking it ?

I don't think she likes it very much as far as finding it interesting or intriguing. It is Bible history for a majority of the guide. First with Story of the Ancient World and all the reading from the basic and extension packages on to the Bible study and Bible quiet time...sometimes the storytime is reading a chapter from the Bible, then the last 10 units or so is reading straight from the Bible for the history box. She does it without complaint. I have asked her though how she likes it and what she thinks of this or that project or this or that book. She is getting frustrated with it. She always replies, "It is just ALL Bible history." I don't think it is keeping her attention. It is more she has to do it.

We aren't changing curriculum this year and she does like the format of HOD with the 2 page spread and getting a day off a week. I don't think she is liking CTC though. I did look ahead and we will get a little bit of a break with the middle of the guide and when we get to the Rome and Greece books. Then the last 10 units or so are read directly from the Bible for history.

I haven't seen anything about the Chinese civilizations at all from the ancient time period. I may just be overlooking it. I am probably going to stop the Bible study altogether with Genesis. I like the kids doing the Bible quiet time and reflecting on their own, but when storytime is a chapter from the Bible and Reading about History is Story of the Ancient World with a retelling from the Bible and the history project is about tribes in the Bible...then yes it is a lot of Bible history.

For the majority of the ancient time period, it is told as a Bible narrative with CTC. I went to private Christian school and I don't think I studied the Bible as thoroughly as we have so far in 8 units of CTC outside of Bible class and chapel in the 9th and 10th grades. I looked at the description of RTR and the book choices and feel it will be similar as a Bible narrative for the most part. I think we plan to skip RTR and do Rev to Rev next year.

I don't think my dd would handle another year with so much history coming straight from the Bible or a Bible retelling. I enjoy having a religious curriculum. I just don't necessarily want it to be only religious for huge sections. I don't feel that it is well rounded for history for probably 15-18 units of CTC or roughly half the guide. The middle with Greece and Rome seems to give you a break from solely Biblical narrative and focus on those civilizations a bit more from a different perspective.

I think there have been posts about this exact thing on TWTM before and people have said you have to use the basic and extension packages to round it out. I haven't seen that yet. I imagine it will be in the middle of the guide as well. I like that Famous Men of Rome is used in the extension package but wish Famous Men of Greece was used as well.

I am probably going to buy SOTW 1 for the girls to read through on the side or get the audio cd's from the library for them to listen to so that I know they get a thorough overview of ancients. I am hoping that the high school level of ancients and middle ages will be less Bible heavy. I have also seen samples of Mystery of History I and wish it was used in CTC instead of Story of the Ancient World for that time period. I have spent too much money on CTC to change.

Ancients can be such a great time period to study. I just don't feel like we are getting the most out of our study of the ancient time period. I do feel the need to add in some other text to round out the point of view and to give a different perspective. If I would have known how much Bible history CTC entailed, then we probably would have started this year with Rev to Rev or used Timberdoodle's 7th grade package with the girls instead that uses Mystery of History I.

My girls do like the science, poetry (love the watercolor), and DITHOR. We use a different language arts but do still use Write With the Best. I am really liking it with my 6th grader. We are doing a different math as well b/c we were late to the game with Singapore.

I looked at the description of RTR and the book choices and feel it will be similar as a Bible narrative for the most part. I think we plan to skip RTR and do Rev to Rev next year.

I don't think my dd would handle another year with so much history coming straight from the Bible or a Bible retelling.

FWIW we did CTC last year and are doing RTR this year and it is WAY different in the amount of Bible. Much more of a historical feel and less of a Biblical one. (Not saying that either is wrong. :001_smile:)

FWIW we did CTC last year and are doing RTR this year and it is WAY different in the amount of Bible. Much more of a historical feel and less of a Biblical one. (Not saying that either is wrong. :001_smile:)

While we like CTC it is a lot of Bible. So I am happy to see more of a historical feel for next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I felt the same way! I'm considering HOD's Res to Ref, do you know if that is as Bible History heavy?