Menu

The best pancakes (for Faschingsdienstag) - ever!!!

Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) is the day before Ash Wednesday, which is the beginning of the Lenten season. Traditionally, a large party or feast is held on Mardi Gras because, beginning Ash Wednesday, people will fast in some way until we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus 40 days later (on Easter Sunday).

My goodness! I found a recipe for German Pancakes on AllRecipes, and we decided to make them for Faschingsdienstag / Fat Tuesday. They were the best I have ever had and we immediately decided that we'd never make them any other way again ;) If you are looking for a traditional Fasching meal, give these a try! HTH someone!

Yummy, but I never had anything like this in Germany. I have never hear of this being a traditional Fasching meal.

What the Germans call "Pfannkuchen" (pancake) and consume in large quantities on Fasching is more a kind of donut.

Yummy, but I never had anything like this in Germany. I have never hear of this being a traditional Fasching meal.

What the Germans call "Pfannkuchen" (pancake) and consume in large quantities on Fasching is more a kind of donut.

Ooops - I saw "German Pancake" and knew that "pancakes" are big here for Fasching. Apparently I didn't know that Pfannkuchen were the donuts I ate all day ;) Thanks for letting me know before I looked like a bigger :ack2:

P.S. The buttermilk syrup was awesome, but beware - you will need a larger pot than you think to cook it, as it bubbles up impossibly high!