Menu

Power converters -- I'm totally clueless

Dh just found out he needs to go to Italy Saturday morning. He called me a few minutes ago to say he needs a power converter (adapter?) that he can use for his alarm clock, and also to recharge his iPhone and laptop.

What the heck am I looking for? The last time I went to Europe was so long ago that we didn't have cell phones -- can you imagine? Plus I was in high school, and didn't really care about dragging around a bunch of gadgets.

Can I just wander into Walmart and pick something up to stick in the outlet? Do I have to get a fancypants adapter with USB ports? Or 2 different things -- one for the computer stuff, and one for the alarm clock.

I'm not an expert, but what I remember from my trip last summer is that you need an adapter to fit the outlet prongs and a converter to change the voltage. Most things I had (curling iron, cell phone, computer) seemed to be dual voltage and just needed the adapter. I think the device may tell you what the voltage is. You can get kits at Target & Walmart that include both a converter and adapter.

The charger on most computers will be dual/voltage. Check to make sure, but if that is the case, you only need an adapter to make the plug fit in the prongs. Apple sells a special adapter to change out the plug on its chargers to fit European sockets, but you can just use an adapter with the entire plug you usually use.

It is likely that you would need a converter as well as an adapter for an alarm clock. I would suggest just setting an alarm on his phone rather than taking an alarm clock. If an alarm clock was absolutely necessary, I would purchase a small battery operated alarm clock--it will be lighter and easier to pack (and probably cheaper) than purchasing a converter just for an alarm clock.

An alarm clock won't work because the cycles are different, not just the voltage. Just get him a battery powered alarm clock. Things with a heating element won't work for the same reason, unless they designed to be dual voltage.

Read the computer manual to see if it's dual voltage. Many of them just have a switch, then you would just need a plug adapter.

His iPhone is not going to work unless he jailbreaks it and swaps out the sim card for a global one.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

We bought a converter and adaptor (came together) at Best Buy. It had a chart with which adaptor was needed in which countries, and which countries only needed the converter. It was not expensive.

It is easier to leave the phone at home because international calls are very expensive. Stick to email and Skype instead of the phone.

Apple has the World Travel Kit.

The iPhone can convert the 220V on it's own, but your U.S. wall charger won't work on the European wall outlets.

You don't need special cords for your items, you just need special plugs for the European wall outlets. So your cords plug into those special plugs, that then plug into the wall outlet.

He wants to use his iPhone for various other applications besides being a phone, I believe. Or else it's a 4S -- isn't that considered a "world phone"?. Anyway, it's a work phone, so I have pretty much nothing to do with it. He's making the trip to look over a business they're considering acquiring, so you'd think they'd provide usable phones, but who knows.

And his alarm clock is also a white noise generator, which is why he travels with it. When traveling by car he actually takes a noisy fan along to run at night, but obviously that's not going to work going by air to Europe.

Unfortunately, he's in a car somewhere on a cross country trip, with the alarm clock packed away in luggage and the computer in his briefcase, so no chance to check any further info regarding voltage. At least now I know what to ask/say next time he calls.

Thanks for the info so far! He had visions of me needing to order stuff to be shipped here by Friday, but knowing that we can probably hit up Target, Walmart, and Best Buy and/or the Apple Store helps.

We bought the adapter(s) we needed at a hardware store in France (and Bath, England). It's actually quite fun to have to solve problems like this overseas!

England and France have different adapters (& voltage).

If he's staying in a NICE hotel, they may have adapters for you to rent!

I do know you can get some at Tosche Station.

"But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!" said in my most whiny Luke Skywalker voice.

"You can waste time with your friends when your chores are done."

Oh....sorry. I'm no help. :blush:

Bwahaha -- actually, it's the best answer yet!

Be careful of roaming charges on cell phones. I read some article that in some areas, your phone is constantly roaming because it is updating info. Some came home from Italy with a huge phone bill and they didn't use their phone at all. I think they said you should turn it off when you aren't using it.

Be careful of roaming charges on cell phones. I read some article that in some areas, your phone is constantly roaming because it is updating info. Some came home from Italy with a huge phone bill and they didn't use their phone at all. I think they said you should turn it off when you aren't using it.

Phone bills go directly to his employer. We don't deal with them at all. Thanks, though, for the tip if we ever take a personal phone over.

Phone bills go directly to his employer. We don't deal with them at all. Thanks, though, for the tip if we ever take a personal phone over.

Obi-Wan (with a small wave of his hand): "Phone bills go directly to your employer."

Stormtrooper GailV: "Phone bills go directly to my employer."

Obi-Wan: "You don't deal with them at all."

Stormtrooper GailV: "We don't deal with them at all."

Oh gosh....I am in some weird mood tonight. :blush:

:smilielol5:

Edited by ~AprilMay~