Menu

Spelling Workout

aly9712

Hi;

We do not pretest here either. We do every list and every workbook activity - except the writing at the end of the lesson. They test on the entire list every week and some times the lists are easier than others. It is a good break and I find the easy lists or easy words on some lists give them feelings of success to keep them motivated. We just started SWO E and have loved the program here.

I do not protest... Each list is more about the spelling rules being learned than the individual words, so we do not skip lessons.

:iagree:

My son is a very good speller, and last year in 5th when we did SWO F, he only missed 4 words the entire year (and never studied for the tests). So I knew if we did the pre-tests that he'd miss very few words. But I thought the vocabulary, prefixes/suffixes/roots, and spelling rules were important enough not to skip. If I just wanted lists of words, I'd probably download something free somewhere.

Our process is similar to "Classically Minded"'s. We pretest just for the fun of it (she typically gets 0-2 wrong). We then do the full week's activities, although we often drop, simplify, or otherwise modify the final writing assignment. Words missed in the pretest get written five times each, and we add them to an ongoing list of words that are tested as part of future memory work.