Menu

How will you "label" yourself when you are an empty-nester?

When we homeschooled, I labeled myself as a "homeschooling mom." Now that ds is in bricks and mortar school, I label myself as a "stay-at-home mom." If you have no plans to work after your children are all out of the house, how will you label yourself?? A "stay-at-home wife"?

Please no debates about whether labeling oneself is good or bad. I am just curious as to how you identify yourself if people ask you what you do when you are an empty nester parent who doesn't work outside the home.

This is interesting b/c I've been thinking about what I will do when the kids start to leave the nest. I feel somewhat like I will need to work at some point to help with college. I don't want to, but I also don't want them to have college debt. I have a soon-to-be 14 yr old and a 2yr old. I feel like I want to give the two yr old the same life and advantages I gave the fourteen yr old. But, I also want to help out the family with additional income. :confused:

So, I have no idea what I will be calling myself in during those years. In my perfect world, I would love to continue to be a homemaker! I have NO desire to work outside the house. I love being available for my children and my husband. But, we will see what happens!

I'll be starting over on a career of some type. When dd finishes high school I hope to be finishing up my master's. Since we can afford to only put one person through college at a time, I hope when dd is finished with school that I can go to work on a doctorate. Maybe I'll be able to call myself Dr. Parrothead.

When we homeschooled, I labeled myself as a "homeschooling mom." Now that ds is in bricks and mortar school, I label myself as a "stay-at-home mom." If you have no plans to work after your children are all out of the house, how will you label yourself?? A "stay-at-home wife"?

Please no debates about whether labeling oneself is good or bad. I am just curious as to how you identify yourself if people ask you what you do when you are an empty nester parent who doesn't work outside the home.

what's an empty-nester? seriously - they graduate from college - and move home! (supposedly 1dd is saving for a house and hates living by herself anyway. 2dd had the reality check that living on her own cost more than she thought while also a full-time grad student. very convienent going to grad school here.).

Reminds me of the joke - how many children do you have? three. How many live at home? five, two got married. (at least I havent had that happen.)

then we started over, so I figure I have at least another 12 odd years . . . . by then, I *better* be able to say I'm a grandma.:glare: