Menu

Keys to Algebra ??

My youngest son has some mild learning problems that affect his math ability. I think immaturity for his age is a factor. I am considering using Keys to Algebra with him this spring. Could it be considered Algebra 1? If not, how could I supplement it to become Algebra 1? OR Should I just consider it PreAlgebra and choose something else for Algebra 1?

Thanks!

Oh... he is currently in 8th grade. We will be beginning our 9th grade courses over the spring and summer as he completes each 8th grade subject.

I would consider it pre-Algebra.

My middle dd was having problems with something in Algebra. We tried LoF then Key to, now Saxon. She still wasn't getting it with Key. This year, finally, she gets it and is doing well.

I always wonder if I had just waited, is it a readiness thing or did I finally find the right program? It's the same thing with reading. They have to be ready to learn it. So reading and algebra, going through several programs before it clicks. Did you finally find the right one or did it take long enough that your child's brain was ready?

But Key to covers things individually. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of review. It's like they hammer it just about to death and then move on. I really think it would be better to hit Key to for those concepts that your child doesn't get and then go back to whatever else you are using.

I would consider Key to Algebra more of a prealgebra level. Also, for that level I would suggest Derek Owens. There are free online videos at Lucid Education. For my dd, for 8th grade prealgebra, we decided to go with Chalkdust Math. I found a pretty inexpensive older edition of the math text (Aufmann) and there are videos if you need them (also can find these inexpensively) but that is not a requirement. I am thinking of also using the Key to Algebra books along side this text. Not sure how I am going to combine them exactly. Maybe do a unit in the Chalkdust text and then do a book or two of the key to algebra books. My dd just needs lots of practice in math, so every bit helps and she is familiar with Key to books so I kind of want to stick to what works. My idea for including the Chalkdust math text is so my dd can get used to using a math text as she approaches high school.

For when you get to Algebra you might want to consider Algebra A Fresh Approach. It is a simple presentation of Algebra in a workbook format. They also have Algebra II and Geometry.

Algebra A Fresh Approach

Edited by txhomemom

I think a big portion of the problem is a readiness issue. This child did not learn to read until age 9. There are some other problems with math but a huge factor is maturity and readiness. We are going to do Key to Algebra. I hope we'll be able to finish it and most of a regular Algebra 1 program (maybe TT) by June 2013.

Thanks again y'all. :D

He's 11th grade and really struggles with math.

We switched from key to Algebra over to Systematic Math (the algebra modules) about 2 months ago. He is *really* understanding it! The teacher on the videos is NOT the most exciting dude ever to teach, but he sure does know how to help the student truly understand.

I always wonder if I had just waited, is it a readiness thing or did I finally find the right program? It's the same thing with reading. They have to be ready to learn it. So reading and algebra, going through several programs before it clicks. Did you finally find the right one or did it take long enough that your child's brain was ready?

I find this very interesting. DS was a late reader (9ish). He did not learn to read until after I gave up trying to teach him, so I know it wasn't a matter of finding the right program. Boy, what a frustrating time for us. After that experience, I tried to expose him to different types ofprograms to see if he was ready for it. If it caused too much frustration, I held back. In elementary he struggle mightily with any math curriculum. In 8th grade (and he is on the older range for his grade) he suddenly picked up pre-alg and algebra and has gone on to geometry in 9th grade. I know these were developmental issues. He ended up using Saxon for pre-alg and algebra--a program we looked at around 5th grade and nearly did me in! He has always presented himself as academically advanced, primarily due to a well-develop vocabulary and a near photographic memory and yet he struggled with so many academic basics.

To supplement Key to algebra, you might consider Khan academy (free online lessons and practice).

http://www.khanacademy.org

The resources at Khan have benefited DS greatly. He can search for any concepts he does not understand and in this way it has helped fill in various gaps he had. Even though he is officially doing geometry, he works on more advanced math via Khan academy. Great free resource for all sorts of topics.

He's 11th grade and really struggles with math.

We switched from key to Algebra over to Systematic Math (the algebra modules) about 2 months ago. He is *really* understanding it! The teacher on the videos is NOT the most exciting dude ever to teach, but he sure does know how to help the student truly understand.

I thought I knew all the math curriculum out there. Just finished checking out Systematic Math. May be just want I'm looking for.

Thanks