Menu

CM Users

tuzor

I am going to blend many of CM ideas into our days for next year. If you used other methods prior to following CM did incorporating CM into your day make it easier less stressful or the opposite?

Particulary if you did not purchase a boxed curriculum like MFW but followed a guide like AO, SCM or HUFI.

Thanks!

We started with Enki Education here. With ENKI we did ALOT of the narration part since its part of the curriculum. I started incorporating little things from CM this year, like reading nature stories, and drawing outside. I am incorp. little things now that are easy and plan to more coming in the Fall with History and Geography.

We started doing short lessons recently and that has been a big hit here, too.

I will be :bigear: for how others have done it, too.

The more I read CM's original writings, the more CM I desire to be! I think there are misconceptions out there that CM is too gentle, etc., that just aren't true. Anyway, I admit I struggle with getting many of the CM 'extras' in. So what we've started is a monthly 'Arts Day.' Our first was awesome! We read about our current poet, composer and artist. Also in the plans are reading Lamb's Shakespeare, art projects, and nature study. Not every thing every month...but most. Then throughout the month we read poetry from our poet, display an art picture from our artist, etc.

I've also been trying to get out to our nature centure more often, since I stink at getting nature study weekly! The other topics, I just pick who I have materials on, or maybe who is in our history time period. This has helpe me immensely. I used to schedule these things every single week and my week felt cluttered and I often didn't get to them:( Now it is more enjoyable and more a part of life. Anyway, HTH some:) Gina

P.S. Oh, and we also use living books, narration instead of comprehension qu., short lessons when young, etc. For memory work, I LOVE the scripture memory system at http://www.simplycharlottemason.com. I also incorporate poems, science and history facts, etc. into it.

I've been through phases of Waldorf, CM and WTM. I've never used any of the curriculum you mentioned, so take this with a grain of salt. We are now using mostly WTM/CM with only a pinch of Waldorf. It depends on what I'm trying to add in as to whether CM makes our days less stressful or more so. Trying to follow someone's interpretation of CM's writings definitely makes our days more stressful. I also get more stressed if I try to follow CM without taking into consideration the time period in which she wrote. If I read her writings in light of my dd and our modern world I am able to pull valuable insights that make our days smoother and richer.

The more I read CM's original writings, the more CM I desire to be! I think there are misconceptions out there that CM is too gentle, etc., that just aren't true. Anyway, I admit I struggle with getting many of the CM 'extras' in. So what we've started is a monthly 'Arts Day.' Our first was awesome! We read about our current poet, composer and artist. Also in the plans are reading Lamb's Shakespeare, art projects, and nature study. Not every thing every month...but most. Then throughout the month we read poetry from our poet, display an art picture from our artist, etc.

I've also been trying to get out to our nature centure more often, since I stink at getting nature study weekly! The other topics, I just pick who I have materials on, or maybe who is in our history time period. This has helpe me immensely. I used to schedule these things every single week and my week felt cluttered and I often didn't get to them:( Now it is more enjoyable and more a part of life. Anyway, HTH some:) Gina

P.S. Oh, and we also use living books, narration instead of comprehension qu., short lessons when young, etc. For memory work, I LOVE the scripture memory system at www.simplycharlottemason.com. I also incorporate poems, science and history facts, etc. into it.

I started using the memory system but then dropped memory work. Now the little memory work I do manage to cover really has no rhyme or reason. Its just when I remember to do so or feel guility because I see it there on my planner as a box that goes unchecked. I will have to pick it up agian.

I am horrible about incorporating nature. Where we live is not nature friendly if that makes sense. Our area is just concrete and homes made of brick and often times I feel that going out in our backyard that is filled with nothing will not count as nature. There is a man made park filled with sand and a jungle gym but it is not what I consider nature (though it is outdoors). There is a song I am not sure of the name but a verse says "Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky, and they all look just the same. And the people in the boxes all went to the university and they came out just the same." This describes my neighborhood perfectly. In order for me to get nature in I need to get out of my neighborhood and drive away from the planned neighborhoods etc. which is not always possible every week.

I've been through phases of Waldorf, CM and WTM. I've never used any of the curriculum you mentioned, so take this with a grain of salt. We are now using mostly WTM/CM with only a pinch of Waldorf. It depends on what I'm trying to add in as to whether CM makes our days less stressful or more so. Trying to follow someone's interpretation of CM's writings definitely makes our days more stressful. I also get more stressed if I try to follow CM without taking into consideration the time period in which she wrote. If I read her writings in light of my dd and our modern world I am able to pull valuable insights that make our days smoother and richer.

I too try to take what I have read and make it applicable to our current time.

. . . I am horrible about incorporating nature. Where we live is not nature friendly if that makes sense. Our area is just concrete and homes made of brick and often times I feel that going out in our backyard that is filled with nothing will not count as nature. There is a man made park filled with sand and a jungle gym but it is not what I consider nature (though it is outdoors). There is a song I am not sure of the name but a verse says "Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky, and they all look just the same. And the people in the boxes all went to the university and they came out just the same." This describes my neighborhood perfectly. In order for me to get nature in I need to get out of my neighborhood and drive away from the planned neighborhoods etc. which is not always possible every week. . .

There is a benefit to going deeper into nature even if you only go every couple weeks or once a month. Also, a backyard bird feeder is a wonderful way to incorporate nature study. There are even books geared toward backyard nature study. Remember, we are part of nature. In spite of our best attempts, we truly can't escape it. It is all around us--even in the city and suburbs.

I am going to for next year. If you used other methods prior to following CM did incorporating CM into your day make it easier less stressful or the opposite?

Particulary if you did not purchase a boxed curriculum like MFW but followed a guide like AO, SCM or HUFI.

Thanks!

I used to "blend many of CM ideas into our days" and now things CM wrote or edited are my guide.

Here is a curriculum that is concise and easy to base your own plans off of. It from the very beginning of CM's Parents Union School. It is for the second class, and I *think* that is about 3rd and 4th grade. ETA: I was wrong it's for 4-6th grade.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/Programme01II.shtml

Here is a weekly schedule for the school, which may help you plan.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/PR/PR19p899Timetables.shtml

Edited by Caribbean Queen

I've used AO as well as a few boxed CM curricula choices. CM's methods have felt natural for me - certainly not stressful. I found her early on, though. I also dabble in Waldorf methods, but I'd say 85% of our style is CM. We do the following:

- - short lessons

- - pure copywork (no formal writing program as of yet though I am exploring options for next year or the year after)

- - beautiful, rich, living books

- - narration

- - storytelling

- - nature stories

- - nature study

- - geography - mapping according to places we read about; I always have a globe or map handy during read-aloud time; I've been pleased to see just how well this natural method works with dd

- - time for handicrafts and outdoor play

- - spelling, getting a complete picture of the word in your mind and holding it there; always correcting as soon as you spot an error - never allowing a misspelled word to stick with the child

- - composer study/artist study - - this feels more like a delicious box of candy rather than school; we often incorporate both into a girls' only tea and listen to selections from our composer during dinner

- - I can, I ought, I will (this comes in very handy when dd claims she can't do something - - and I know perfectly well she can at least attempt it!)

I strayed from CM in the following areas:

1) grammar - dd fell in love with grammar thanks to Grammar Rock and Grammar-land, so we studied it formally early on.

2) habit forming - I admit CM would most certainly frown upon my efforts in this area. I could definitely do better, both with forming dd's habits and in refining my own!

3) memory work - dd has performed on stage since she was almost 5; since she is steadily involved in plays, I've allowed her lines to stand in for formal memory work

Edited by kimmie38017

I love CM. Our homeschool is almost exclusively CM. I have found that it creates such a nice atmosphere. There is no more whining about workbooks (although my DD4 still LOVES her workbooks and insists on doing them). We just read from quality literature. I get a lot of ideas from Mater Amabilis, AO, HUFI, SCM and LBC (Living Books Curricula). I also look at SL booklists, VP books, and ask for recommendations on here.

Since my kids are young, I do a mostly CM style unit study approach. Right now we are studying South America so I am reading living books and living picture books about the region, we are doing crafts, cooking food, learning about animals, reading stories from the regions, listening to music, etc.

For science, I think that NOEO fits great into CM if you want something a little more intense than nature study for younger kids. My kids also do nature study, but they were wanting a little more for science.

I also agree that CM isn't "gentle" in the sense that most people think of gentle: i.e. easy. It is gentle in that your day flows smoothly, there is less complaining, and the kids are really learning without realizing it. :D I consider CM to be very rigorous. It takes a lot of effort to listen attentively and then narrate back. That is a lot harder than answering a few comprehension questions that basically make sure that you were not asleep during the reading. If you look at CM's sample exams, you can see that it definitely was not easy material. I think I would fail almost all of them. :lol:

I do think that planning for CM is a little more difficult (mostly because there are too many great books and you need to pare them down). I am sure it is easier to just go off a pre-made schedule, but I really think the effort is worth it (and it isn't really that big of an effort). Our days flow so much better. The kids are excited about learning and they really retain the information (that is the biggest difference in my opinion).

SCM sells artist study packages which are great, but they are really easy to do yourself. I just buy a calendar when they go on sale (this time of year is great for that). I cut out about 6 pictures and we do one a week and then switch to another artist. I will read a short biography with the kids if there is one or else I just give them a quick overview. I laminate the pictures so the kids can really handle them (but that isn't necessary) and then we hang them in our kitchen "art gallery." HUFI gives a great overview of how to do picture study.

Sorry to talk your ear off, but I just LOVE CM! I could talk for years about it!

I used to "blend many of CM ideas into our days" and now things CM wrote or edited are my guide.

Here is a curriculum that is concise and easy to base your own plans off of. It from the very beginning of CM's Parents Union School. It is for the second class, and I *think* that is about 3rd and 4th grade.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/Programme01II.shtml

Here is a weekly schedule for the school, which may help you plan.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/PR/PR19p899Timetables.shtml

Do you find that your days are easier/shorter and you are able to get everything done or is that a challange?

I love CM. Our homeschool is almost exclusively CM. I have found that it creates such a nice atmosphere. There is no more whining about workbooks (although my DD4 still LOVES her workbooks and insists on doing them). We just read from quality literature. I get a lot of ideas from Mater Amabilis, AO, HUFI, SCM and LBC (Living Books Curricula). I also look at SL booklists, VP books, and ask for recommendations on here.

Since my kids are young, I do a mostly CM style unit study approach. Right now we are studying South America so I am reading living books and living picture books about the region, we are doing crafts, cooking food, learning about animals, reading stories from the regions, listening to music, etc.

For science, I think that NOEO fits great into CM if you want something a little more intense than nature study for younger kids. My kids also do nature study, but they were wanting a little more for science.

I also agree that CM isn't "gentle" in the sense that most people think of gentle: i.e. easy. It is gentle in that your day flows smoothly, there is less complaining, and the kids are really learning without realizing it. :D I consider CM to be very rigorous. It takes a lot of effort to listen attentively and then narrate back. That is a lot harder than answering a few comprehension questions that basically make sure that you were not asleep during the reading. If you look at CM's sample exams, you can see that it definitely was not easy material. I think I would fail almost all of them. :lol:

I do think that planning for CM is a little more difficult (mostly because there are too many great books and you need to pare them down). I am sure it is easier to just go off a pre-made schedule, but I really think the effort is worth it (and it isn't really that big of an effort). Our days flow so much better. The kids are excited about learning and they really retain the information (that is the biggest difference in my opinion).

SCM sells artist study packages which are great, but they are really easy to do yourself. I just buy a calendar when they go on sale (this time of year is great for that). I cut out about 6 pictures and we do one a week and then switch to another artist. I will read a short biography with the kids if there is one or else I just give them a quick overview. I laminate the pictures so the kids can really handle them (but that isn't necessary) and then we hang them in our kitchen "art gallery." HUFI gives a great overview of how to do picture study.

Sorry to talk your ear off, but I just LOVE CM! I could talk for years about it!

Can you tell me how you plan your year. After you have complied the lists of books do you just divide the books by trimester? Do you plan for the year or trimester? How much time do you spend every week planning. This is where I need to cut some time out.

Yeah, it took me a while to get going with the SCM memory system, too. I put it off even though I heard how good it was. Then I sort of did it, but not consistently. I'm so pleased now that we've finally more fully incorporated it. We do it regularly, but only M-R. For monthly review items, instead of tabs for days 1-31, I made tabs for Week 1 (M-R), then Week 2 (M-R), etc. I just knew we wouldn't do it every day:)

I feel so much more peace about memorization now. Scripture memory was sporadic. And it used to frustrate me when my kids just could not seem to remember 1776, etc. Now we can just enjoy our books, and when we come across something I want them to know for life (not every little detail), I jot it on a notecard in our SCM system...different colors for each subject. Right now we're learning states and capitols and I'm jotting those into our system, too. I like having memory work as one part of our day (no more than 10-15 min.), rather than always wondering if they're remembering enough!

For planning, have you looked at SCM's, "Planning Your CM Education?" It's been a great help for me...I live by the downloadable schedules, and it helps me ensure all our CM bases our covered. They give lots of different scheduling ideas. I spend some time over the summer figuring out our schedule using SCM and AO books (and Truthquest History guides). It takes a bit of planning, but then I hardly do any all year, except a bit of tweaking if something's not going well. I schedule things generally speaking so I don't have to do it every week....like 2 pages of math, 1 ch. of history (and they have an ongoing history reader list), etc. HTH some! :)Gina

You weren't asking me:), but something I do a little differently than most CM'ers is schedule semesters rather than trimesters. Maybe not ideal, but I work much better only thinking about exams twice a yr. rather than three, and I choose to schedule one poet/composer/artist per semester...which simplifies scheduling. I really need simple, if you can't tell:) Gina

Do you find that your days are easier/shorter and you are able to get everything done or is that a challange?

Our days are short. My kids are younger so they are more on the level of this program. http://www.amblesideonline.org/Programme01I.shtml We don't do knitting, Swedish exercises, French, or Saxon history. We do sewing, plus composer and artist study, which are in subsequent programs. We do US history and my year old does typing. My 6 year old has 2 more years to go on this level and she needs it. My oldest is sucessful and ready to move to the next level.

According to CM, my oldest child should start Latin and Plutarch's Lives next year. Many later programs included learning piano. I am going "lite" on those things. He will be using a children's version of Plutarch. The version CM used is not appealing or easy for ME to understand. I might get to some Latin root words study, or else we won't do any Latin at all. My son is playing a plastic recorder because I don't have money for a piano and lessons. I might get the children in some lessons with a fluent Spanish speaker, and then we would study at home as well. If I can't swing it, then we will not study a foreign language. Unless a native speaker is involved I don't think it is worth my time.

So, all this is to say, we don't do it all. It isn't because we run out of time or it is too hard (well, Plutarch's Lives is too hard.) It is because I am not interested in full-on Latin, Swedish exercises and knitting. I can't afford proper music and Spanish classes. Maybe I will develop interest in Latin and knitting this summer, who knows. It seems if people are not claiming CM is too "lite," they are scoffing at the thought of doing it all in the 21st century without a nanny, cook and maid. I disagree with that. CM is do-able. If I has the interest and a bit more money I could do it all.

Ack, I put the wrong grade level on the link I put in my previous post. That was for grades 4-6, according to Ambleside Online.

Yeah, it took me a while to get going with the SCM memory system, too. I put it off even though I heard how good it was. Then I sort of did it, but not consistently. I'm so pleased now that we've finally more fully incorporated it. We do it regularly, but only M-R. For monthly review items, instead of tabs for days 1-31, I made tabs for Week 1 (M-R), then Week 2 (M-R), etc. I just knew we wouldn't do it every day:)

I feel so much more peace about memorization now. Scripture memory was sporadic. And it used to frustrate me when my kids just could not seem to remember 1776, etc. Now we can just enjoy our books, and when we come across something I want them to know for life (not every little detail), I jot it on a notecard in our SCM system...different colors for each subject. Right now we're learning states and capitols and I'm jotting those into our system, too. I like having memory work as one part of our day (no more than 10-15 min.), rather than always wondering if they're remembering enough!

For planning, have you looked at SCM's, "Planning Your CM Education?" It's been a great help for me...I live by the downloadable schedules, and it helps me ensure all our CM bases our covered. They give lots of different scheduling ideas. I spend some time over the summer figuring out our schedule using SCM and AO books (and Truthquest History guides). It takes a bit of planning, but then I hardly do any all year, except a bit of tweaking if something's not going well. I schedule things generally speaking so I don't have to do it every week....like 2 pages of math, 1 ch. of history (and they have an ongoing history reader list), etc. HTH some! :)Gina

I have not looked at Planning your CM Education. I have looked etensively at HUFI and AO but I will compare. I have thought seriously about the SCM planner. I can't justify the cost though perhaps the 30 day free trial will change my mind. That's why I am afraid to try it. :lol:

Our days are short. My kids are younger so they are more on the level of this program. http://www.amblesideonline.org/Programme01I.shtml We don't do knitting, Swedish exercises, French, or Saxon history. We do sewing, plus composer and artist study, which are in subsequent programs. We do US history and my year old does typing. My 6 year old has 2 more years to go on this level and she needs it. My oldest is sucessful and ready to move to the next level.

According to CM, my oldest child should start Latin and Plutarch's Lives next year. Many later programs included learning piano. I am going "lite" on those things. He will be using a children's version of Plutarch. The version CM used is not appealing or easy for ME to understand. I might get to some Latin root words study, or else we won't do any Latin at all. My son is playing a plastic recorder because I don't have money for a piano and lessons. I might get the children in some lessons with a fluent Spanish speaker, and then we would study at home as well. If I can't swing it, then we will not study a foreign language. Unless a native speaker is involved I don't think it is worth my time.

So, all this is to say, we don't do it all. It isn't because we run out of time or it is too hard (well, Plutarch's Lives is too hard.) It is because I am not interested in full-on Latin, Swedish exercises and knitting. I can't afford proper music and Spanish classes. Maybe I will develop interest in Latin and knitting this summer, who knows. It seems if people are not claiming CM is too "lite," they are scoffing at the thought of doing it all in the 21st century without a nanny, cook and maid. I disagree with that. CM is do-able. If I has the interest and a bit more money I could do it all.

Ack, I put the wrong grade level on the link I put in my previous post. That was for grades 4-6, according to Ambleside Online.

Have you found a good latin program for vocabulary and root words only?

Yeah, I've heard raves about the organizer. But I'm pretty non-techy and what we're doing now is working...so trying to save the $$:) The Planning Your CM Education guide is nice because you can use it with any combo of CM curriculums...whatever fits your family best.Just pick your books and plug them in. We use AO lit. and some of their history spines, SCM history readers and character books, and a combo of both for other things:) Gina

Can you tell me how you plan your year. After you have complied the lists of books do you just divide the books by trimester? Do you plan for the year or trimester? How much time do you spend every week planning. This is where I need to cut some time out.

Question 1 - Yes, days are easier, because CM's methods work very well with how kids naturally function; yes, they are shorter, because we work hard to finish school by lunchtime as recommended by CM. Schooling only in the morning means that we have to "do school" for more days out of the year, but it is wonderfully worth it. As for getting things done - the only things that are really at risk of being left out are the CM "extras" (artist study, nature study, composer study, Plutarch, etc.). We often do these at tea time (yes, we have tea time every day, even non-school days), which really helps in terms of consistently getting them done.

Question 2 - We use mostly AO, with some HUFI, so we plan on a trimester schedule. AO has the books for each year already divided up by week, so all I have to do is translate that into daily schedules. For the AO/HUFI elements of our homeschool, I plan by trimester; for everything else, I plan by year. We homeschool continuously and year-round, though, so I have the luxury of not having to plan all programs to be completed in a standard school year.

As you can probably tell, I am a huge CM fan. Her methods can be hard to implement but are so worth it. HTH,

SuperDad

I do find that it is easier to get everything done. Our days flow much more smoothly. The short lessons are very good, especially for my young children. They are really into whatever we are learning. I am trying to learn when they are starting to lose interest so I can stop before that happens. This is something that is probably very different with every child.

I don't organize things for the whole year. We school year round and are very flexible with our schedule. We will take days off when the weather is nice or to go on a nature hike or whatever. My kids are still very young. We are mostly using a CM-style unit study approach right now. For January and February, we did South America. I had a few core living books. I would just read about a chapter a day. I had other picture books that I added in. We did a couple of countries a week. I spent about an hour making a basic plan for our entire study (I basically went through everything and listed which was for each country). Then, I would plan a week or two at a time. It basically takes about 20 minutes a week to plan, but this includes printing out coloring sheets, etc. (My kids pay much more attention when coloring.)

When my kids are older, I would plan out more than this. I think you could plan out the whole year in a day. This whole blog is an amazing help, but this post is extremely helpful for this topic. Also, SCM sells a wonderful DVD about planning your CM curriculum. I also really recommend these DVD's. The best book I have found on CM is When Children Love to Learn. Of course, her original writings are the best.

The biggest thing with CM, is to take the leap of faith. Once you try it, I doubt you would ever go back. Our days are calmer. The kids are learning and excited about learning. There is still complaining, but it is much more rare. The whole family can learn so much together. My kids vocabulary has increased dramatically. It is amazing!!!! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Have you found a good latin program for vocabulary and root words only?

I saw one in real life and it looked like it was designed for someone to cram for the champion spot of a vocabulary bee (which doesn't even exist, right?) I've heard good things about MCT Caesar's English. Since we are supposed to start studying grammar soon, I have read reviews of Grammar Island, and it looks good as well. I have mixed feeling about Music of the Hemispheres and Sentence Island and I am not sure the program is worth the money for me. We just started the free book Grammar Land.

If you used other methods prior to following CM did incorporating CM into your day make it easier less stressful or the opposite?

No matter what I am using, even if nothing I am using for school is particular CM (like right now), the more CM philosophy that I manage to pull into our lives the easier our day becomes.

For a quick pick-me-up, I recently read Smooth and Easy Days. It is free on Simply Charlotte Mason.

HTH-

Mandy

I can't truly express how much better my CM-inspired year is going compared to my incredibly stressful hodge-podge year from the year before.

This is my second full year homeschooling and the more I learn about CM's methods and work them into our lives, the happier we are. I'm using a curriculum that I created based loosely off AO. I've gleaned things from other CM-based curricula, too, so my year doesn't correspond very well with one of the AO years.

Charlottle Mason's ideas just feel so right for us. My daughter has multiple special needs and yet she is very capable and intelligent. As long as DD responds well to this educational style, we'll be using it.

Last summer I spent a few weeks gathering my ideas, booklists, etc. Then I made a loose weekly schedule for us to follow. Our weeks really vary, depending on medical appts, therapy, vacations, field trips, etc. Plus, my DD has good days and bad ones. There is no rhyme or reason to it. So, I have to be flexible. Having a list for the week keeps me from being stressed. Many weeks we achieve more than I anticipated and sometimes we achieve far less. Overall, we're doing well for the year.

Each week we cover the following:

Daily

Cursive handwriting (HWOT)

Math (we use Math Mammoth with some MEP and Khan Academy)

Silent reading (just added this in this month)

Reading aloud from K12 readers and other sources (she reads to me)

Literature with narration (I read to her)

Family read aloud

Phonics (this week we finished her last phonics book. Yippee!)

1-4 times per week

Spelling (not the CM way)

Latin and Greek roots

History (we use SOTW, mostly)

Geography (using living books)

Nature Study

Nature Reading

Scripture Study

Science (using living books and My Pals are Here)

Biography (with written narrations)

Dictation

Composer Study

Artist Study

Art

Music listening

Recorder playing

The lessons are short and interesting. I don't find it hard to work everything in. In fact, I'm enjoying this year much better than last year. It's more relaxing and fun now.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Wow! I purchased the SCM Planning your Charlotte Mason education last week. It has been great. I have had to stop because I don't have all my resources. But the planning feels very easy not forced. If that makes any sense.

I do find that it is easier to get everything done. Our days flow much more smoothly. The short lessons are very good, especially for my young children. They are really into whatever we are learning. I am trying to learn when they are starting to lose interest so I can stop before that happens. This is something that is probably very different with every child.

I don't organize things for the whole year. We school year round and are very flexible with our schedule. We will take days off when the weather is nice or to go on a nature hike or whatever. My kids are still very young. We are mostly using a CM-style unit study approach right now. For January and February, we did South America. I had a few core living books. I would just read about a chapter a day. I had other picture books that I added in. We did a couple of countries a week. I spent about an hour making a basic plan for our entire study (I basically went through everything and listed which was for each country). Then, I would plan a week or two at a time. It basically takes about 20 minutes a week to plan, but this includes printing out coloring sheets, etc. (My kids pay much more attention when coloring.)

When my kids are older, I would plan out more than this. I think you could plan out the whole year in a day. This whole blog is an amazing help, but this post is extremely helpful for this topic. Also, SCM sells a wonderful DVD about planning your CM curriculum. I also really recommend these DVD's. The best book I have found on CM is When Children Love to Learn. Of course, her original writings are the best.

The biggest thing with CM, is to take the leap of faith. Once you try it, I doubt you would ever go back. Our days are calmer. The kids are learning and excited about learning. There is still complaining, but it is much more rare. The whole family can learn so much together. My kids vocabulary has increased dramatically. It is amazing!!!! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I keep seeing this book When Children Love to Learn so I guess I need to go and read it. I read two books from Catherine Levison. I could not put the books down. I am eager to implement these strategies into our day. In addition I also purchased Laying Down the Rails to aide me habit training for my boys.

Wow! I purchased the SCM Planning your Charlotte Mason education last week. It has been great. I have had to stop because I don't have all my resources. But the planning feels very easy not forced. If that makes any sense.

I keep seeing this book When Children Love to Learn so I guess I need to go and read it. I read two books from Catherine Levison. I could not put the books down. I am eager to implement these strategies into our day. In addition I also purchased Laying Down the Rails to aide me habit training for my boys.

I am in the midst of reading this book right now and I second or third the recommendation. It is very good! I have to take it slow though so I can soak it all in. Check it out from your library, you won't be sorry.

As for the scheduling, you and the others on here are much braver than me. I took the easy route and we are using MFW. I love the CM feel of this curriculum. Hopefully I can continue to feel more comfortable and then eventually do it on my own.