Menu

How much control do parents have over 16 year old?

Guest carltoi

Guest carltoi

Once a child turns 16, how much freedom are they legally granted, is it illegal for parents to restrict them going to certain places that are within the law etc.

I understand that children are not allowed to leave home without permission, but regarding day to day situations like going to parties etc, is it legal for them to restrict their child going providing there are no illegal evets taking place

Where I live, unless the child is legally emancipated before age 18, the parents get to say "no," assuming there is no abuse or neglect in saying "no." For example, if you're talking about school or medical visits, there's probably a different standard.

I'm assuming there isn't another parent out there telling the child "yes."

Realistically, of course, short of chaining or locking the child (which may not be legal beyond a point), absolute physical control is not realistic. You gotta have some help from the child's conscience, common sense, etc. But no, she can't call the cops on you for saying "no" to a party.

I understand that children are not allowed to leave home without permission, but regarding day to day situations like going to parties etc, is it legal for them to restrict their child going providing there are no illegal evets taking place

I think you answered your own question.

Depends on the state. And things may have changed since I was 16.

In Washington state at 16 I could put a lock on all my medical records. This was the first step towards emancipation. In Arizona I just moved out. My mom threatened to report me as a runaway, so I called the DA. I was informed that so long as I had a roof over my head, food, and was not in an overtly dubious situation (illegal drugs very present), they would not do anything.