Menu

IEW Question - again

mytwomonkeys

Okay. I'm *entertaining* the idea of Level A for my two children next year. We currently use BJU with the teacher dvd's with my daughter (which I really like) but am thinking of breaking away next year, but I really want/need something solid for both kids. My son will be in 3rd & my daughter in 5th next year. Level A says it for grades 3-5. Does this level really work for both ages? How? What does that look like? I appreciate any feedback. :001_smile:

I did SWI - A with my 2nd and 5th grader last year. Our co-op has the DVDs but we have to use them at church so 2nd grader had to go with us anyway so I'd figure I'd let him have a shot at it. He did amazingly well! Mr. Pudewa is entertaining. He teaches a step by step formula to writing and uses a checklist to help the child utilize all the tools he/she has learned. It worked amazingly well and my kids learned so much from it! This year the oldest (now 6th) is using Medieval writing as that ties in with our history time period and my middle (now 3rd is using Fables, Myths and Fairy Tales.) Both are still plugging right along.

The yahoo group is incredibly helpful with questions and I've received quality assistance over the phone as well. Their return policy can't be beat so you really can't go wrong with IEW! I will tell you, they recommend that the parent purchase the main program which are the DVDs that teach the parent how to teach. They are quite amazing and while I will say that you can do SWI-A or B without them, they are incredibly helpful.

I did SWI - A with my 2nd and 5th grader last year. Our co-op has the DVDs but we have to use them at church so 2nd grader had to go with us anyway so I'd figure I'd let him have a shot at it. He did amazingly well! Mr. Pudewa is entertaining. He teaches a step by step formula to writing and uses a checklist to help the child utilize all the tools he/she has learned. It worked amazingly well and my kids learned so much from it! This year the oldest (now 6th) is using Medieval writing as that ties in with our history time period and my middle (now 3rd is using Fables, Myths and Fairy Tales.) Both are still plugging right along.

The yahoo group is incredibly helpful with questions and I've received quality assistance over the phone as well. Their return policy can't be beat so you really can't go wrong with IEW! I will tell you, they recommend that the parent purchase the main program which are the DVDs that teach the parent how to teach. They are quite amazing and while I will say that you can do SWI-A or B without them, they are incredibly helpful.

thank you very much! my kids are at very different places with their writing ability, so i just wanted to make sure it would be a good fit for their varying levels. i hate wasting money, and it seems i often will buy a new product, only to get the wrong level...wrong thing...bad fit..yada yada. i hate that.

one more question... would you click on the link i shared in my first post and tell me if that includes the dvd's you mentioned. the description there seems to imply that is everything i will need. do you agree? thank you again! very much!:)

I have chosen not to have my 3rd grader (weak reader) use SWI A this year. I think it would be too challenging for him. He is using Just Write and something else I forgot the name of. I think I will have him use SWI A next year when his reading is stronger (he's in vision therapy and is making HUGE strides!)

Becky