Menu

Sleep Apnea?

Can you tell me about sleep apnea? I have been having a lot of problems since about December of last year. A lot of test were pointing to a problem with my lungs. I saw a Pulmonary doctor today and he's convinced it's sleep apnea. I am not as convinced. I have shortness of breath with all activity. Even talking on the phone after about 20 minutes has me completely drained. I have been off of work for about 5 weeks. I wont be able to do a sleep study for at least 3 weeks but they will be sending an oxygen test for me to do at home.

I don't know what they will do about work but I don't know how I am suppose to function if they send me back.

Can you share your experiences with me regarding sleep apnea. What symptoms, signs, how long did it take to feel better and what the treatment was.

I don't have SA but my DH has it to a very, very serious degree. His sleep study showed him waking between 98 and 120 times per hour. But as severe as his was before it was controlled with a CPAP, shortness of breath was not one of his symptoms.

Hope you find some answers soon!

astrid

I don't have SA but my DH has it to a very, very serious degree. His sleep study showed him waking between 98 and 120 times per hour. But as severe as his was before it was controlled with a CPAP, shortness of breath was not one of his symptoms.

Hope you find some answers soon!

astrid

Thank you. Is that where you have to wear the mask? How long did it take for him to feel better? I would imagine as soon as you start using the mask to sleep, your symptoms would improve. Was he tired during the day as well or fatigued?

Thanks again.

Shortness of breath in the day is not a Sleep Apnea symptom I've heard of.

That's what I thought. He says that because I am not getting enough sleep during the night that I am getting tired and worn out during the day. I see shortness of breath with activity as a different symptom but that's why I wanted to see what others thought.

Thank you. Is that where you have to wear the mask? How long did it take for him to feel better? I would imagine as soon as you start using the mask to sleep, your symptoms would improve. Was he tired during the day as well or fatigued?

Thanks again.

Yes. Prior to going for his sleep study, Ray was very tired all the time. He'd fall asleep sitting on the couch. He'd fight to stay awake while driving. And when he laid down in bed he'd fall asleep immediately, and then stop breathing until he let out a loud snore and then start breathing (gasping) again. He was "asleep" throughout the breath-holding/gasp/snore cycle. I BEGGED him to get a sleep study, which he finally did.

How soon did it take for him to feel better? Literally INSTANTLY.

Ray went for a sleep study at 8:00 pm. They spend an hour and a half putting the electrode patches, monitors, etc. on him and then let him watch a half hour of TV and fall asleep. The techs told him that the plan was to let him sleep for two hours and if he fit the profile of someone with sleep apnea, they'd wake him up, put a CPAP mask on him, have him fall back asleep and then monitor him with the mask and compare the two sleep cycles.

WELL. They woke him after 30 minutes because his apnea was SO bad they couldn't allow him to sleep the full 2 hours without intervention. They actually removed the old electrodes and monitors on him and put new ones on, just in case the machinery was going haywire. That's how bad his results were. So finally they put a CPAP mask on him and let him go back to sleep. He slept from about 2:00 am to 6:00 am with a mask, and then they woke him, removed the monitors and he showered then went to work. He called me at noon and said he felt better at work that morning than he'd felt in YEARS. He was literally crying he was so relieved to feel better. After only FOUR HOURS of sleep with a CPAP machine.

His rate was in the "full disability" range, and the doctor has NO IDEA how he was working full time, coaching softball, being a perfectly sweet, kind, patient husband and father. Let alone drive a commuter van to work and work 40 hours managing a busy call center for The Hartford Financial at their home office!!! Prior to the study, the doctor said he'd have the study then see the dr. two weeks later to discuss options. His results were so dire that the dr. called dh the next morning to say that he'd called in a prescription for a CPAP machine to our local medical supply center and he had to go buy it TODAY and not spend another night without it. He'd keep the appointment for 2 weeks hence but there was no way he could let him sleep without one another night. Turns out that dh has a malformation of his soft palate which the dr. feels is the biggest factor in the severity of his apnea. He's not grossly overweight, and he doesn't have a huge neck size as many apnea sufferers are.

His mask looks like this:

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/comfortgel-mask-phillips-respironics.html It just covers his nose, though it's hard to tell in the picture. I know what you're thinking, but he actually can sleep very well with it. He never notices it.

So two years later, dh is a new man. His blood pressure is down, he feels so much better in every single way. I urge you to go ahead with the sleep study. It could change your life; it certainly has changed ours.

Hope this helps!

Astrid

I have sleep apnea and shortness of breathe has never been one of my symptoms. I had the generally tired all the time symptoms and being able to sleep at any time any place problems, but no shortness of breathe.

My CPAP took longer to help me feel better, but I have other sleep problems that make feeling totally better harder (idiopatic hypersomnia), but CPAP did help and I still use my machine every night when sleeping.

I have sleep apnea and so does my husband. Never heard of shortness of breath as a symptom. Being very tired during the day, low energy, sleepy, snoring, waking up more frequently during the night, are all the symptoms I'm familiar with.

I would do a search on sleep apnea and shortness of breath-see if anything comes up.

I was sent for a sleep study because I had daytime fatigue and other health issues but not shortness of breath. I never woke up rested no matter how much sleep I got. I wouldn't have dreamed I had sleep apnea but the doctor was right.

Sometimes those with nighttime breathing issues have issues with breathing/low oxygen during the day but that wouldn't sneak up on you nor leave you winded like that. I don't see your symptoms as consistent with sleep apnea.

Has your heart been checked? Shortness of breath like that is a big flag for heart issues.

Edited to add: if your heart hasn't been checked I'd consider it imperative that it be checked as soon as possible. Shortness of breath is actually a very common initial symptom of heart issues including upcoming heart attacks in women.

Edited by sbgrace

I was sent for a sleep study because I had daytime fatigue and other health issues but not shortness of breath. I never woke up rested no matter how much sleep I got. I wouldn't have dreamed I had sleep apnea but the doctor was right.

Sometimes those with nighttime breathing issues have issues with breathing/low oxygen during the day but that wouldn't sneak up on you nor leave you winded like that. I don't see your symptoms as consistent with sleep apnea.

Has your heart been checked? Shortness of breath like that is a big flag for heart issues.

Edited to add: if your heart hasn't been checked I'd consider it imperative that it be checked as soon as possible. Shortness of breath is actually a very common initial symptom of heart issues including upcoming heart attacks in women.

I had a Echocardiogram and it was fine. I have had blood work and so far things have looked okay. Things started getting worse around the end of December. That's another reason I don't think it's SA but I will do the test just to be sure. It won't hurt to rule it out either. He said my lungs were compromised and small and that I had a small airway. I didn't really like the doctor but I will follow through anyways. If it's negative, I might request a new doctor.

Thanks for the input everyone. I did check things out online before I posted but I thought real life experiences would be valuable.

Edited by fourcatmom

Here's all the info that I have on sleep apnea.

Sleep apnea exists in 2 forms:

Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) – the most common type

Central Sleep Apnea – a more rare version caused by nervous-system problems

OSA

Upper airway becomes obstructed – usually because the throat muscles that keep the airway stiff relax too much, collapse, and block breathing. An apnea or cessation of breath, typically lasts about 20 seconds, and occurs 20 to 30 times an hour.

Because you wake up so briefly, you typically don’t remember it. For that reason, many people go undiagnosed.

Symptoms include:

• Excessive Daytime Sleepiness

• Morning Headaches

• Irritability

• Difficulty Concentrating

• Memory Problems

• Frequent Nocturnal Urination

• Lowered Libido

• Loud and Chronic Snoring

• Pauses in breathing (typically lasting 10-20 seconds) while sleeping

• Gasps, snorts, or choking sounds while sleeping (usually following the pauses)

Causes:

• Extra Pounds

• Nasal Obstruction – allergies, congestion, deviated septum, small sinuses

• Tongue-Nerve Problems – only medical tests can measure nerve function

• Excess Mouth and Throat Tissue – doctor’s opinion needed

• Small Jaw – doctor can determine this

Undiagnosed sleep apnea increases the risk of heart disease, diabetes, obesity, depression, and more.

What to Do:

Lose Weight

Avoid Alcohol

Quit Smoking

Clear Sinuses – saline spray or neti pot

Identify allergens – dairy, wheat, mucus-producing foods like bananas

Try an elimination diet – google it

Quell Inflammation – Diets high in fat, sugar, or processed foods, and a sedentary lifestyle can cause chronic inflammation. This has been linked to sleep apnea. Shun saturated fats, trans fats, refined grains, excess sugar, char-grilled foods, cigarette smoke, and chronic stress.

Strengthen Throat Muscles – Keep your tongue on the floor of your mouth, with your lips closed for about 10 minutes, twice a day. Most patients’ sleep apnea disappears within 1 month of doing this exercise. http://www.silentnighttreatment.com

Acupuncture – helps greatly

Sleep on your side – Elevating your head with extra pillows may also help

Exercise More

Say a vowel rapidly for 3 minutes daily – this soft-palate exercise can reduce sleep apnea severity by 39 percent.

BOOK

Sleep Interrupted by Dr. Steven Park

5326507.jpg

I am a sleep tech and yes shortness of breathe can be a symptom.

Get the sleep study they will run a 8 hr ecg and see if there are heart abnormalities that do not show up on the shorten studies run during the day.

We see people who come in with your symptoms all the time and you may not have enough apnea the first half of the night to get started. That is more common than not as REM is when most apnea occurs as your body is paralized during REM and your REM period is long the closer you get towards morning. So dont walk out discouraged You tech should not give you any results. And if you walk out with a machine with out seeing a dr first. Dont trust the lab! Results in how you feel are going to be different for everyone. Some people wake up and feel awesome some people it takes a few weeks.

I am a sleep tech and yes shortness of breathe can be a symptom.

Get the sleep study they will run a 8 hr ecg and see if there are heart abnormalities that do not show up on the shorten studies run during the day.

We see people who come in with your symptoms all the time and you may not have enough apnea the first half of the night to get started. That is more common than not as REM is when most apnea occurs as your body is paralized during REM and your REM period is long the closer you get towards morning. So dont walk out discouraged You tech should not give you any results. And if you walk out with a machine with out seeing a dr first. Dont trust the lab! Results in how you feel are going to be different for everyone. Some people wake up and feel awesome some people it takes a few weeks.

Thank you for the feedback. I will do the test I am just worried about work in the time being since it's going to take a while to get the test done. I think I might need to look into some short-term medical leave until I can figure all this out. I don't know where SA fits into being excused from work. The last time I went into work, I knelt down to speak to a child and I fell over.:confused: I didn't really loose my balance, I just fell. It was really weird and I have never experienced that before.

And thank you Negin in Grenada for all the info as well. That was pretty much what I had found online but with some new info too. Every case is different but I do always seem to be sick and tired. He did say that with SA your immune system is pretty shot and so constant sickness is an issue. Since I work with Special Needs preschools who are often quite delayed in their abilities, I am always getting exposed to things and I can never seem to fight them off despite that I have been doing this for years. It was also interesting to hear that chronic stress can be a factor. Since I have been off work for the 5 weeks, I have not had one headache. You would think if it was all linked to work, that I would be feeling better and I am not.

Edited by fourcatmom

When are you doing her your home O2 study? That will give you heads up as to how low your oxygen level is and how serious of a problem you could be having and that may get you excused from woke.

When we call our patients and get a history we ask if they have fallen reciently and what caused it. It is a blood pressure question

When you have an apnea (everyone has this. most people it is positional one or two a night and not big deal) you are not bringing in air. Your heart processes the air when you bring it in. When you are not bringing it in it slows down due tothe fact it job load has been lighten. Then your brain says hey I need air and sends out the fight or flight response so all kinds of hormones are released. You wake up for a few seconds but not enough to gain conscience the muscles tense up in your airway you breathe and then heart goes to work double time as you mostlike brought in a large amount of air.

Do you snore?

Not every who snores has developed apnea but they will.....

When are you doing her your home O2 study? That will give you heads up as to how low your oxygen level is and how serious of a problem you could be having and that may get you excused from woke.

When we call our patients and get a history we ask if they have fallen reciently and what caused it. It is a blood pressure question

When you have an apnea (everyone has this. most people it is positional one or two a night and not big deal) you are not bringing in air. Your heart processes the air when you bring it in. When you are not bringing it in it slows down due tothe fact it job load has been lighten. Then your brain says hey I need air and sends out the fight or flight response so all kinds of hormones are released. You wake up for a few seconds but not enough to gain conscience the muscles tense up in your airway you breathe and then heart goes to work double time as you mostlike brought in a large amount of air.

Do you snore?

Not every who snores has developed apnea but they will.....

They said it would take about 3 weeks if I am lucky to get in. They said to wait 1 1/2 weeks and then call and see if they received the referral and hopefully I can schedule over the phone. I go back to see the Pulmonary doctor in 4 weeks. They are also sending over a home oxygen test in the next week. That should clarify things as well. My blood pressure and oxygen always seem fine in the doctor's office even though my heart rate is high. Thanks again for the info. I guess I will call my primary doctor and talk to him about work. I just don't see how I can go back and function and do the job the way I need to when nothing has really changed. He did put me on a prescription of prednisone a few weeks back and now I can at least move around the house and I feel better until I start to do something physical. I am not sure why the prednisone would help if it was SA? And, yes I snore and I often can hear myself wheeze or whistle. I also often jerk in my sleep, but I remember it. Sometimes I kick my legs but that I don't usually remember. I have a hard time sleeping on my back, my chest often feels heavy that way.

Sorry, I mis-read your question. The oxygen home test should be in the next week. I don't know how long it takes to get results though. It will take longer to get into the sleep study.

Edited by fourcatmom

your blood pressure and o2 would be good in the dr office I am sure. however most likely it is not so good during the night. I am sure your heart rate too isvery elevated at night Try as best as you can to sleep on your back (gravity makes apnea worse!) Leg movements are often a sign of apnea (although it could be something else)

Try sleeping prone (belly) or elevate the head of your bed. That should help a little

I hope that there is some sort of cancelations or the dr can move you in positioning of being seen.

Good luck

Shortness of breath is a rare symptom. Normally with those who have undiagnosised heart issues. Demand a stress test as an echo can be fine but there are other things going on. Also, call around and see if any other sleep study centers can get you in earlier.

I am going to see my primary tomorrow to discuss the pulmonary visit and work. I will ask about a stress test. I did post before that I had my heart rate checked at one visit and it was 93 (or close to that) and then I walked down the hall three times and it went up to 136. That's about the closest they have come to a test where I had to do something physical.

I am going to see my primary tomorrow to discuss the pulmonary visit and work. I will ask about a stress test. I did post before that I had my heart rate checked at one visit and it was 93 (or close to that) and then I walked down the hall three times and it went up to 136. That's about the closest they have come to a test where I had to do something physical.

Other thought- make sure you check any meds that you have been on since this started to see if any have shortness of breath listed as a rare/odd side effect.

Edited by itsheresomewhere

tired all the time---falling asleep when just "sitting" (like waiting for appts)--they say being overweight can be a sign of it but I haven't seen anything change about my weight since starting treatment for it---snoring is a sign---I've been on an apnea machine for over a year-after I first started treatment I could really tell a difference in my energy levels-now not so much...not sure if we need to change something or what--went to dr a few weeks ago for a "check up" and he said I was at 100% with my machine (maybe using it all night every night?) whatever that means they were happy with it.....now if I can get the dh into see them we'll be doing good LOL-I know he has it BAD he holds his breath when he snores and doesn't sleep well at all....

tired all the time---falling asleep when just "sitting" (like waiting for appts)--they say being overweight can be a sign of it but I haven't seen anything change about my weight since starting treatment for it---snoring is a sign---I've been on an apnea machine for over a year-after I first started treatment I could really tell a difference in my energy levels-now not so much...not sure if we need to change something or what--went to dr a few weeks ago for a "check up" and he said I was at 100% with my machine (maybe using it all night every night?) whatever that means they were happy with it.....now if I can get the dh into see them we'll be doing good LOL-I know he has it BAD he holds his breath when he snores and doesn't sleep well at all....

I will often avoid sitting on the couch because usually I fall asleep. I have to be up doing something and stay moving. If I watch TV or sit to relax, I am done and it usually takes me hours to recover and get going again.