Menu

Do you think this is worth my time?

taffnus

Do you think it's feasible to teach an 8yo and new 6yo Spanish by using Live Mocha, supplementing each lesson with children's Youtube video clips? I am dedicated to reviewing and studying with them using flashcards, repetition, etc. I've found lots of songs, clips and video lessons on Youtube and most of them cover the basic information in intro language programs. Live Mocha has an adult feel so I'm wondering if I could just make it kid-friendly using resources I can find.

Is this crazy? I just haven't found the program I'm ready to buy and I don't want to wait any longer.

Go for it, give it a 10 day trial and see how it works out and then reevaluate from there.

You can cover a LOT with LiveMocha and youtube, there is also ielanguages.com and FSIlanguages if you need something more put together but you may have to adapt the programs down to your kids needs, but they are just recommendations for if LiveMocha + Youtube doesn't work out.

It might be a good introduction but you'll need more pretty quickly. Do you have a group that you can get together with and speak Spanish? Sort of like a mini-immersion experience a couple days a week? That would probably delay the need for a program a little longer.

We don't have this yet. The more I look, the more I see that these online programs are really geared towards adults. I'm not sure if I can pull it off. I really need some Spanish-speaking neighbors. :001_smile:

Do you think it's feasible to teach an 8yo and new 6yo Spanish by using Live Mocha, supplementing each lesson with children's Youtube video clips? I am dedicated to reviewing and studying with them using flashcards, repetition, etc. I've found lots of songs, clips and video lessons on Youtube and most of them cover the basic information in intro language programs. Live Mocha has an adult feel so I'm wondering if I could just make it kid-friendly using resources I can find.

Is this crazy? I just haven't found the program I'm ready to buy and I don't want to wait any longer.

Yes I think you could use it as long as you supervise closely as it is an adult environment. You/they will get a lot of emails from other adult users but there is probably a way to turn off that function. I haven't tried with my kids because I think it would be too boring for them, but its worth a try!

HBO has some fun little videos on you tube for kids learning Spanish called El Perro y el Gato. I don't know if they're part of a larger program? But my son realy enjoys them.

Elena