Menu

Blood sugar test - please give me hope!

Has anyone failed the 1hr test but been okay on the 3hr test?

I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy, so the doctor had me do a sugar test early (I'm only about 10 wks) to verify I don't have full blown diabetes. That way if it develops later they will know it is gestational. Apparently it is managed differently. Except they called today to tell me I failed the initial test. I'm not really shocked as I have had issues with my blood sugar for many years, but had been managing it well with diet and exercise and my numbers were not in the diabetic range. I'm really hoping it was just something I ate before the initial test.

Oh, and the test requires no food or drink, even water, before the test. I have bad veins anyway, and when I'm not hydrated they are terrible. Both arms are already bruised from the torture of trying to draw blood for the 1hr test.

And, just to rub salt in the wound, the nurse called to tell me the news while I was making ds's requested chocolate ice cream with chocolate and strawberry chunks. Guess I won't be enjoying that with him. :glare:

Ok, whining over. If you made it this far, thanks.

The majority of those who fail the 1-hour pass the 3-hour. Now I don't know how the stats are for those who have had gestational diabetes before. GD is a different animal. Even those with normal blood sugars when not pregnant can have reoccurring GD. I hope and pray it's not that way for you. Pregnancy is SO much more fun when you don't have to deal with GD.

Has anyone failed the 1hr test but been okay on the 3hr test?

I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy, so the doctor had me do a sugar test early (I'm only about 10 wks) to verify I don't have full blown diabetes. That way if it develops later they will know it is gestational. Apparently it is managed differently. Except they called today to tell me I failed the initial test. I'm not really shocked as I have had issues with my blood sugar for many years, but had been managing it well with diet and exercise and my numbers were not in the diabetic range. I'm really hoping it was just something I ate before the initial test.

Oh, and the test requires no food or drink, even water, before the test. I have bad veins anyway, and when I'm not hydrated they are terrible. Both arms are already bruised from the torture of trying to draw blood for the 1hr test.

And, just to rub salt in the wound, the nurse called to tell me the news while I was making ds's requested chocolate ice cream with chocolate and strawberry chunks. Guess I won't be enjoying that with him. :glare:

Ok, whining over. If you made it this far, thanks.

I failed the first one, and passed the longer one. The first one I took I recall that I had had two bowls of Cornflakes with sugar that morning. (We didn't have to be fasting--it was the second one that was fasting.) I had no idea that Cornflakes went into the blood stream so fast as sugar! The nurse told me to drink lots of grape juice between the failed test and the next one to get my system used to handling sugar better and I did pass the second one. I had never had gestational diabetes, though.

GD is no fun, but if you want a healthy baby, you do what you have to do. No one wants to be on restriction when you're pregnant, but I tried to be glad that my restriction was just food and that I wasn't on bed rest. My babies were all normal-size with no complications, so it was worth it.

I failed the 1 hour in 2 of my 3 pregnancies but passed the 3 hour both times. In fact, I failed the 1 hour test so badly, they almost didn't bother with the 3 hour test. Thankfully I passed easily on the 3 hour. I do remember that the morning I took the 1 hour and failed, I felt awful. When I came back for the 3 hour the next week, I felt great.

I know 10 years ago there were 3 different scales. I missed the 3hr by 1 point on the lowest scale. Dr wanted to hospitalize me for 24 hrs. I got a second opinion. I had to repeat the test later but passed, of course I did some walking.

I don't have blood sugar issues but I would get sick from the 3hr test. I hope to never endure it again.

Good luck.

I'm glad to know there is hope! I may still wind up with GD, but apparently that doesn't kick in until wk 20-something. So if I fail it now, I'm just diabetic.

Fingers crossed that you will be in the majority and pass the 3 hr.

If you don't pass and need insulin this early be sure to ask about qualifying for an insulin pump. (I was put on a pump with my last pregnancy at 9 weeks. They make it so much easier.)

Blood sugar issues controlled with diet and exercise sounds like controlled diabetes to me. I am a recently diagnosed diabetic. When I am exercising and eating right my blood sugar levels aren't at "diabetic" levels either. A normally functioning non-diabetic metabolism does not need diet or exercise to control blood sugar levels; they stay normal even with a terrible diet/no exercise because the insulin system is functioning properly.

I had gestational diabetes with all three kids. With my youngest my first abnormal reading showed up at 13 weeks on my home meter. After she was born, I had a full battery of tests which said that my blood sugar was behaving normally. However at my checkup this past November, my A1C indicated diabetes.

Yes. A friend did a few months ago. After the test, she monitored her levels until the delivery (Sunday :0) ) and never had another issue. It was either a random fluke in her system (she was sick the week prior) or a false test result.

Yes. And my OB told me at the time that he could tell by the number that I would almost certainly pass the 3 hour test. Which I did. But was miserable.

My 1 hour number was in the 120's, by the way. Given what I know now (dd is diabetic), I would have refused the 3 hour test and asked for a home glucose monitor.

I'm glad to know there is hope! I may still wind up with GD, but apparently that doesn't kick in until wk 20-something. So if I fail it now, I'm just diabetic.

Are you sure? I failed at 16 weeks and I was just considered GD. (I also had had a prior GD pregnancy.) I was fine after the pregnancy and now am only in the pre-diabetic range unless I'm careful. I'm not diabetic.