Menu

How do you know HS is really right?

So I can't tell if it is just the time of year or what.

i am really having 2nd thoughts about HS next year. Petrified of the thought of sending DD to preschool (actually having to TAKE her) and also getting the boys on the bus, and/or picking them up in the afternoon.

DH and I are taking it year by year. Baby is due in 2 1/2 months so trying to keep a good schedule going to "see" if it will still work in the fall at all...

My kids say they don't want to go to school. Yet they reject most school stuff we do at home. Usually at least 2 kids are complaining they don't want to do something. Is it supposed to be a constant fight like this? a constant battle in your own home? I know some of it is discipline problems (no talking back, etc.) but wondering if it is worse because they ARE home.

I have really eased up on a lot of the curriculum. Switched to AO which the kids like - but not sure it is enough for them alone.

We are doing oral math for DS (8) (Ray's) and basically reading/writing with the boys. DS (5) does some light worksheets like a math page and handwritng then he reads and i do read alouds with all the kids. (sometimes individual) DD(3) has one worksheet a day - it is usually something cutting & pasting, fun, etc. then we've been hitting park programs or anything else to supplement. I really do try to do some fun things - as much as we can but with being so pregnant and a toddler it is limiting.

What's happening is because I do have lots of littles the schooling for the olders is going to get broken up throughout the day. but the olders complain so much about school, it would be nice to just get it done in the morning and be done. but I can't fit it all in.

It's kind of been a fight for 2 years now at least. I almost "dropped" my 8yo off at school this winter - and he relented and finally did his work. My kids are extremely smart - they pick stuff up quickly but none seem to be very independent - until I want them to do something.

Not sure I am homeschooling for the right reasons, but basically keeping them home as much as I can to keep the family tight and keep the innocence for a while...

Not sure what to do - did anyone have these problems during the first years but stick it out and your kids changed?

Edited by honeymommy4

Have you made a pro/con list about homeschooling vs. public school? I did send my middle 2 to school when my oldest was 8. They went to kinder & a preschool. It helped me out a lot. Now the next year the kinder wanted to go to 1st grade but I explained to her that it wasn't happening.

Keep in mind that school with the 5 year old is very minimal here, and even the 8 year old would do 2-3 hours of school. More than enough at that age. With a new baby coming you may want to just do the 3rs for a while and then catch up on science and history in the summer or next year.

I do put my kids in high school at 9th/10th grade though so far.

:grouphug:

1. February is a terrible time to make any decisions about homeschooling or not. There's no hurry about deciding for next year, so don't do that yet.

2. I think that kids do tend to drag their feet more because it's at home and with parents, and they know they can. Absent any actual issues, you just have to keep working on it. SWB has a really good talk about this in the store, called Homeschooling the Real (Poky, Whiny, Stubborn) Child. I don't remember the adjectives correctly though.

3. :grouphug: Sorry, I have no further advice.

I get the logic behind minimal formal schooling for a 5yo and even an 8yo. My kids just seem bored - with eachother, around the house, etc. just having them play with the same toys every day - is that OK? Am i doing enough since I am pregnant? If I ease up even more now, then have summer off, too, it seems like SUCH a long time for them to go with no instructions.

THey don't WANT instruction, but they get bored quickly. And fight, or get really creative about things they can't do - and they get frustrated...

so do I need to worry much yet? :confused:

I think that kids do tend to drag their feet more because it's at home and with parents, and they know they can. Absent any actual issues, you just have to keep working on it. SWB has a really good talk about this in the store, called Homeschooling the Real (Poky, Whiny, Stubborn) Child. I don't remember the adjectives correctly though.

Ok found it thank you!!

Edited by honeymommy4

1. February is a terrible time to make any decisions about homeschooling or not. There's no hurry about deciding for next year, so don't do that yet.

2. I think that kids do tend to drag their feet more because it's at home and with parents, and they know they can. Absent any actual issues, you just have to keep working on it. SWB has a really good talk about this in the store, called Homeschooling the Real (Poky, Whiny, Stubborn) Child. I don't remember the adjectives correctly though.

3. :grouphug: Sorry, I have no further advice.

This is true.

post-534-13535086320447_thumb.jpg

post-534-13535086320447_thumb.jpg

I get the logic behind minimal formal schooling for a 5yo and even an 8yo. My kids just seem bored - with eachother, around the house, etc. just having them play with the same toys every day - is that OK? Am i doing enough since I am pregnant? If I ease up even more now, then have summer off, too, it seems like SUCH a long time for them to go with no instructions.

THey don't WANT instruction, but they get bored quickly. And fight, or get really creative about things they can't do - and they get frustrated...

so do I need to worry much yet? :confused:

I don't think so. Can you make a schedule of things for them to do? Maybe after chores & schoolwork you can have time set aside for an hour of legos, an hour of outside play, time for coloring or drawing, quiet reading, quiet time, jumping jacks etc. Something to keep them busy.

My kids rarely said they were bored when they did I'd have them make a bored to do list. Then if they were bored they could go to the list and pick something to do.

What about one full week of hands on activities. Just science experiments, arts and crafts, baking, and games. The littles can be involved too. Then the next week, explain that the school MUST be in the morning,so that the hands on activities can be done in the afternoon. Maybe, just focusing on language arts and math 4x week, and a field trip 1 day week + library half day. After 3-4 weeks of following the plan maybe you can have a celebration for completetion of that "term".

We do have a schedule. It works to a point. No one wants to do quiet time, etc. I still have them do it but the entire day can be a fight. Lunch? no way, i just started playing!

Maybe it is because my kids are young and I am new to all this. I still make them follow the schedule. they still have to come eat lunch.

Giving a list of activities to do? Tried that. they didn't want to do anything. they will "find something" eventually like a toy, etc. but i worry the whole time they are figuring this out.

Making a week of fun is too exhausting for me right now. I think our last outing all together was today. I can do stuff with DH's help - but I am way too big now really to even do library trips, etc. I am ALL belly with my babies usually - have gained 35 lbs. i am about 30 weeks. I stick straight out. most people think i am due next week. then I tell them May - they about fall over.

JUST keeping up with daily tasks is about all I can do. Of course each day is different so some days I do get the energy spurts. Try to use those for decluttering and getting the kids outside to burn energy/get fresh air.

I know its just the long stretch right now...

We do have a schedule. It works to a point. No one wants to do quiet time, etc. I still have them do it but the entire day can be a fight. Lunch? no way, i just started playing!

Maybe it is because my kids are young and I am new to all this. I still make them follow the schedule. they still have to come eat lunch.

Giving a list of activities to do? Tried that. they didn't want to do anything. they will "find something" eventually like a toy, etc. but i worry the whole time they are figuring this out.

Making a week of fun is too exhausting for me right now. I think our last outing all together was today. I can do stuff with DH's help - but I am way too big now really to even do library trips, etc. I am ALL belly with my babies usually - have gained 35 lbs. i am about 30 weeks. I stick straight out. most people think i am due next week. then I tell them May - they about fall over.

JUST keeping up with daily tasks is about all I can do. Of course each day is different so some days I do get the energy spurts. Try to use those for decluttering and getting the kids outside to burn energy/get fresh air.

I know its just the long stretch right now...

You are tired and I'm sure hormones don't help. Not complying with your schedule or direction really shouldn't be an option. Are you giving them consequences for their behavior? Loss of privileges, time out (usually for me :) ), etc.

I know many have done it, but I personally wouldn't be able to homeschool with so many littles. I have enough to do just corralling my two. I also like (need) to get them out of the house every day for different outings, which is so hard with babies and toddlers. Could you try school next year and just see how it goes? Good luck with your decision!

thank you! the feedback is helping. I think I am just worried that I am limiting them too much with so much free time at home.

they do NOT want to do structured activities very often. i do have times that work must be done, etc. but it leaves for a lot of open time. we have chore time, rest time, snack, outside time in the afternoon. if these days are the same over and over again is that OK for right now? please reassure me.. I'm sure it is just the pregnancy and nesting kicking in.. :)

I would get a copy of one of the Five in a Row volumes (much easier than AO, trust me), pick a book and do conversational lessons. This can be done when you have new baby, too. The kids get some lessons (you don't have to read the whole book everyday) and you get some sleep and peace of mind. Add in a math page and a handwriting page and call it done for the older one. You need some phonics, if your second son is interested in reading yet.

Mine play together all day long. Do you have an art box available at all times? Ours is an art tower with copy paper and a little colored paper, and crayons and colored pencils and writing pens (not markers. can we say mess?), etc. This keeps all my younger 3 occupied for hours. It is a mess and mostly gets trashed but that is okay. We also have lots of the small PlayDoh cans and cutouts available always. I am going to buy some scrap wood and have my dh pound some good sized nails firmly in so the boys can pound to their hearts delight in the garage.

Something else sort of different I found was when I removed ALL the plastic toys (except the large LEGOs), coupled with our not owning any electronic game systems and sevearly limiting TV and computer time, the fighting virtually disappeared. No joke! (Ok, taking out the dairy from their diets helped a great deal, too but that is not for everyone.)

We also have the rule you fight, you sit at the table until you can get along. Works like a charm.

Being very pregnant and it being February...don't make a decision now. Check out the Five in a Row website below and poke around the forums. Having a simple year is fine. Yours are young and do not need lots of formal studies yet. Also you have a routine going and that alone will save you. They may not like it but they are kids and do not get to make those choices.

http://fiarhq.com/fiveinarow.info/index.html

http://www.fiveinarow.com/forum/index.php

Edited by Guest

thank you! the feedback is helping. I think I am just worried that I am limiting them too much with so much free time at home.

they do NOT want to do structured activities very often. i do have times that work must be done, etc. but it leaves for a lot of open time. we have chore time, rest time, snack, outside time in the afternoon. if these days are the same over and over again is that OK for right now? please reassure me.. I'm sure it is just the pregnancy and nesting kicking in.. :)

It is ok. :001_smile: The kids will be totally fine if, for the next few months, you do "school lite", do the same thing everyday, watch videos when you are tired, and eat PB and J five times a week. They will survive, they will thrive, they will be ok. :grouphug:You are obviously a great mommy, you are concerned and meeting their needs. Give yourself a break mama!!!

You've received some good advice, and I'll add my own to it.;) If it were me, I'd just have the 8 year old do 1-2 sentences of copy work, 20 ish minutes of math - whether it's oral math, or a worksheet, and read aloud to his siblings for 30 minutes. (not all at once, but maybe in three ten minute chunks)

I wouldn't worry about the other kids 'doing school'. If they want a worksheet or whatever, give them one while the 8 year old does his copy work or math. If not, no biggie. Snuggle up on the couch or bed and read picture books. Watch nature documentaries, sit outside (don't know where you are, but winter has been super mild around us) and observe nature, have them draw what they see in a notebook.

Mama, I know how tiring and just DONE the end pregnancy is. It's not forever, and a few months is not even a blip on the radar. Congrats on the newest babe!!!

Two rules of thumbs:

Don't make homeschool decisions in Jan-Feb.

Don't make major decisions during last trimester.

You fail on both tests, so no making any radical changes right now! :D

For the money you would pay for preschool, can you get a mother's helper? A nice teen homeschool girl who could come in and play with the littles while you have uninterrupted time with the oldest one or two 2-3 days a week?

I didn't even have that many littles, and I still kept it simple for my young dc. We did the 3Rs and then read for the rest. I worked on (1.) discipline, and (2.) building an appetite for learning. In their free time, I offered art supplies, building materials, and lots of outside time.

I just wanted to say that I feel your pain! I am due May 1st also! I am "schooling" my 5 yo now and we pretty much are just focusing on reading. I decided to keep it easy til August (when he would be eligible for kindergarten) and just focus on making him a good reader. Luckily, my mom lives next door and is available to take them a few hours so I can catch a nap. Being pregnant with littles around is exhausting!

we have chore time, rest time, snack, outside time in the afternoon. if these days are the same over and over again is that OK for right now? please reassure me.. I'm sure it is just the pregnancy and nesting kicking in.. :)

If your kiddos were in PS, it would be much more structured than that. So yes, for mom's sanity, I think trying to impose a little structure and continuity from day to day will be fine!

Just wanted to say I understand how you're feeling. We have children of similar ages and I am due in June. There are some days that I feel we barely get the minimum done and some days we get interrupted so many times that we are still finishing up when my husband gets home from work in the evenings.

Overall, I do think little ones thrive on routine. With lots of flexibility within the routine of course, but structure helps them understand what to expect from day to day and does help cut down on the boredom factor. And they've learned to occupy themselves during down times because mama could always assign more chores! :D

As far as whether to continue HS'ing, although we are 100% committed to homeschooling here, I do understand the appeal of dropping them all off for the day and having some PEACE!! :lol: But then I imagine having to get them all up and out the door by 7:30, and doing all that with a newborn and lack of sleep, and it quickly sets me to rights. This is quite a season we are in- homeschooling while still raising little ones and even bearing new ones. But for all the chaos and exhaustion, I do feel blessed to be able to spend my days with my children and to have such a great influence on their minds and spirits. Hang in there mama!

Have you researched any other options in your area other than ps all day?

I am pg with my fourth child and due in August. I am feeling totally overwhelmed already and cannot imagine adding another person to the mix. I started researching options in my area and have come up with quite a few alternatives to all day ps. I'm hoping to find a compromise that we can all be happy with.

In addition to some programs out of the house in your area, have you thought of changing up your curriculum to something that allows for more independent work? Something with dvd's or on-line even? Is there something the whole family is interested in? We all enjoy science. So, usually everyone can participate in that together in some way. We save one-on-one time for Naptime or when dad is home. My dd and I had to switch to doing some schooling after dinner when dad was home to avoid interruptions.

You really do have a lot on your plate. And I know many people just would not even attempt what you are doing. Ha ha ha! You really do need to pick your priorities and focus on them. If your priority is keeping the family together during these early years (one of my reasons for hs'ing also) then just focus on that and realize that academics might have to catch up later.

For me public school is just not an option so I don't ever think about it. It's not going to happen unless some extreme life change happens (death of dh).

Even on hard days, I just don't give ps school any serious thought.

Home schooling is hard, and I do the best I can. I just keep on swimming. :)

Thanks! I am getting lots of ideas here.

So I will try more of the block scheduling and do more FIAR type stuff in the afternoon. I always feel like i should do SOMETHING with the kids but can never decide what. Just needed some direction. Also FIAR reminds me of homeschoolshare.com. great ideas there and printable stuff.

it will help us get through the year which we are only going thru the 2nd week of April. My kids are all still getting used to the "schedule" and "chores" and having to wake up/eat by a certain time, LOL. they are REALLY independent thinkers!

So this will give us some constructive things to do while I instill the routines and habits! :001_smile: