Menu

Teaching Poetry?

sditz1

By "teach poetry," do you mean read/ memorize poems or learn to write in various forms, or both? I have loved teaching poetry to my sons and in various homeschool classes, but my background is in literature, so I have been able to pull together assorted resources and make my own plans for such study. Below the high school level, I have found a few "workbook" supplements to be helpful to various degrees, such as Poetry Writing Handbook from TLC. However, for a 6 yr old, I would focus on simpy reading poetry together and enjoying the beauty (and fun) of sounds and images. One book I can recommend wholeheartedly is Snow Toward Evening: A Year in a River Valley, ed by Josette Frank and illustrated by Thomas Locker. It offers one poem per montnh with an extra for New Year's. I used this book as a "first poetry study" with all my sons from around gr 1-2,having them memorize and copy out the poems, and gently introducing them to assorted literary elements, such as rhyme, alliteration, assonance, similes, etc. The book may be out of print but is worth a search. Another possibility is A Child's Introduction to Poetry by Michael Driscoll. It offers a wide selection of classic poems plus poet bios and background into, enhanced with watercolour illustrations and a CD of all the poems.

Enjoy your poetry study with your daughter : )

I think analysis should wait for the logic and rhetoric years. The best introduction is .... Introduction. Just read poetry. We love Tasha Tudor's illustrated Child's Garden of Verses and Gyo's Poetry for Children collection. Learning to love it will come in familiarly and by sharing it.

That's certainly what I meant--just read and enjoy. Many lovely anthologies are out there, both illustrated and not, and just getting the sounds and rhythms of poetry into your child's ear and mind and heart are more valuable than you can imagine--I can still recite poems I learned in school 40 years ago. However, my sons surprisingly actually enjoyed learning to identify various literary elements as we progressed through years of poetry study, so I wouldn't dismiss the potential for gradually building in discussion of literary elements as your child matures.

She loves to write and is wanting to learn more about writing in various forms. We are all about reading and memorizing poems as well, but she wants more than just that. I did see that evan moor has a workbook, MCT offers something on poetry and Brave Writer. Any thoughts on any of these?

Thanks

Edited by sditz1

She loves to write and is wanting to learn more about writing in various forms. We are all about reading and memorizing poems as well, but she wants more than just that. I did see that evan moor has a workbook, MCT offers something on poetry and Brave Writer. Any thoughts on any of these?

Thanks

I'm using Music of the Hemispheres with my 7 yo. She doesn't entirely get it, she gets some of it, but she loves it.

She was doing very well until we got to the section on meter and poetic feet. It helps her hear alliteration and other poetic language in other written work beyond poetry.

I recently discovered via the boards, but haven't implemented, Rose, Where Did You Get That Red?: Teaching Great Poetry to Children and the companion book (written first and targeted to a broader age group, early as 2nd or 1st) Wishes, Lies and Dreams: Teaching Children to Write Poetry. Am still in the first flush of discovery-joy about these, so I'm probably over-enthusiastic but they are marvelous. Just reading them makes me happy. Currently I plan to start with Wishes, Lies &c next year when Button will be in 2nd, and then tack on Rose when it seems suitable, though my visions don't always get actualized ;).