Menu

We are looking at different options for kindergarten, and wondered what others use and are most happy with.

Has anyone used Calvert for K? We are using for our 4th grader and are happy with it, it is structured but we are "loose" in our approach and supplement lots. The structure is really good b/c it pulls us back in and we like the SOTW used at his grade. We've heard mixed reviews about youngest years however and are not so sure it is necessary at the lower levels.

Also wondering about Core Curriculum, if anyone is using this and how this works. I didn't even know this was a curriculum until a day or two ago I just thought it was a series of books (What your 2nd grader needs to know, etc.).

Anyone using a classical approach, and how would you implement this at K?

What about FIAR?

I realize these are just several, we only just started looking at curricula. Our daughter really is hands on, super active and likes to do things. Very bright but not a sit still kind of girl (if you know what I mean!).

We are really open to lots of different ideas. If you give me some suggestions we also have the Rainbow catalog and I can get more info there -- I just need a push to go in the right direction.

Amy

Ariel really enjoyed FIAR for kindergarten. It had enough repetition and activities to keep her satisfied, and the art lessons were good. We used Calvert Pre-K and decided not to continue with Calvert based on that experience. It seemed too expensive for what comes with that grade, and their kindergarten program looked too similar for me to lay out that expense, and instead we cobbled together our own thing with FIAR plus the first concept of MBtP (for variety), Right Start Math, Handwriting Without Tears, a phonics program, La Clase Divertida, and Kinderbach. It was all very hands-on and she loved it.

If you want something similar to FIAR, but more based on world geography, I recommend Galloping the Globe. It even uses some of the same books, but I think world geography with a few light books on American traditions (like K12's kindergarten history) is the best route for a kindergartner, and is the path I would take if I were to do it again.

Can you spell out the acronyms of the ones you recommended? I'm not sure what all of them stand for.

I was also really interested that your DD did Calvert preK then switched as of K. What was the preK like, especially in comparison to what you did with FIAR in K?

I mentioned that our DS (10) is doing Calvert and we're happy, but the early years are different, it's $, and I really think that DD is a different sort of person altogether. She is much more hands-on and activity-oriented. So I'd love to hear a little more about how you would compare the two programs.

Thanks!

Amy

I need to update my signature, but we are currently using FIAR, SOTW, and HWOT. We do our own math: calendars, counting coins/coin values, measuring for cooking, simple addition, counting to 100, writing numbers, etc. We also use Starfall, play our own phonics games and do tons of read-alouds and literature based learning. Lots of play, play, play, too. Good luck!

This is what I've used for kindergarten, and it has worked well for two children......

Sonlight Core A

Sonlight Science A

A Reason for Handwriting K

Singapore Earlybird Math B (and then into Rod & Staff 1)

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading w/ appropriate level readers from Sonlight

Explode the Code

Evan-Moor's Beginning Geography

Of all of the above, I consider science and geography extra and completely optional. The basics are math, phonics/reading, handwriting, and lots of good read-alouds.

I wish I would have done MFW K and All About Reading. We started out with BJU K Distance Learning classes. My 5 year old doesn't like them and we now only do the math. In hindsight I would have preferred MFW K. I may order it in a few days to finish out our year and summer. So many fun character lessons and wonderful science activities and books, books, books.

We did a mix of things but the information that stuck (and is still recalled years later) was from FIAR. My son said he felt sorry for the kids in his gym group that didn't use FIAR. :D We went on to use all 4 levels.

You are soooo not kidding!

Right now my dd is in the bath tub with a Popsicle stick raft and an underwater viewer she made while rowing The Raft, a plastic salamander for Salamander Room and scraps of plastic baggie left over from the viewer that are representing moonjellies she learned about while rowing Night of the Moonjellies. She is having a blast and has learned so much! :D