Menu

Is this doable: Teaching Textbooks Alg I and II in one calendar year?

Oldest ds is starting 9th grade in the fall and I have been in a rising panic since Christmas. Here's my question for the Hive:

Considering that TT is considered "behind" a college prep scope & sequence, is it reasonable to expect an average math student to accomplish both Algebra I and II in one year (summer before 9th, all of 9th, summer before 10th) ?

My thinking is that if he can get those two knocked out, then do Geometry in 10th, and be taking TT Pre-Calc in 11th at the same time he's starting to take the ACT/SAT. That would leave 12th open for CC or an online class (Calc, Trig, or whatever).

Am I expecting too much? We are not shooting for competitive schools but we need good scores for scholarship $$. DS will probably go to the State U or CC.

I have considered this. I would first recommend you look at the scope and sequence and TOC of the new version. They have ramped it up. They are planning on also upgrading Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc?? I forgot about pre-calc for sure though. (I emailed and asked) I had planned on doing Algebra 1 and part of 2 but I am sticking with just 1 and adding in the humongous book of Algebra Problems and BJU Algebra 1 since I found the set used at an awesome price. That will round out anything that is missing. I have not actually sat down and compared TT Algebra 1 v2.0 to BJU Algebra 1 yet so I am not sure what is missing in the new version, if anything.

I would first recommend you look at the scope and sequence and TOC of the new version. They have ramped it up. They are planning on also upgrading Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc??

:iagree:

TT's Algebra I (2nd Edition) is more meatier and with more lessons to address the complaints from the 1st Edition.

Well, there are around 270 lessons plus about 35 tests in both programs combined, so that puts you at 305 days worth of work. Theoretically, yes he can do it all in a calendar year with 60 days off, but this would mean he's working most weekends, holidays, etc.

Theoretically, though, he could do 2+ lessons in one day, right? Sorry if I'm being totally oblivious here - I have very little experience with TT.

Wait, isn't that more than one full calendar year? One school year + one summer equals one calendar year. But OP said that she was thinking about using the two programs over two summers and one school year. Doesn't that add up to 14-15 months? Sorry, my brain is totally fried right now... but am I wrong?

Move through them at the pace he is capable of accomplishing and understanding. Don't worry as much about keeping to a set schedule -- his scores will be a lot better with a thorough understanding of alg 1-2-geo than they will with a hurried understanding but working on precalc.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to accelerate if he CAN. But don't fixate on the schedule.

We are using the TT Algebra 1 (2nd edition) this year. If you didn't mind longer days, you could finish 2 lessons a day - DD takes about 45 minutes to finish one lesson.

So, yes, with double-lessons and putting in some extra time, you could get thru both in one calendar year.

Yes, an average student can do TT Alg 1 and Alg 2 in one year. There are places where one can work more quickly (generally the first parts of each book) if one knows the material. Use the chapter tests to see where they need to begin.

TT Pre-Calc covers materials not on the PSAT, SAT or ACT so be certain to keep the skills fresh by using a decent prep book. (It is better to do them first and use a prep book than to be working on them when doing the tests IMO.)

Trig is covered in Geometry and Pre-Calc with modern curricula. It's no longer a separate course as it was when most of us went to school.

Move through them at the pace he is capable of accomplishing and understanding. Don't worry as much about keeping to a set schedule -- his scores will be a lot better with a thorough understanding of alg 1-2-geo than they will with a hurried understanding but working on precalc.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to accelerate if he CAN. But don't fixate on the schedule.

:iagree:

Ds flew through Algebra 1 and Geometry....but took longer in Algebra 2/ Pre-calc.....he is now reviewing the Geometry because he forgot most of it:tongue_smilie:

Faithe