Menu

Basement question?

I have never lived in a state that commonly has basements, so sorry if this questions seems dumb, but do people count their basement space on real estate listings?

For example, if I am looking at a house that has 1800sq ft and I notice that the listing has a picture of a finished basement is that space part of the 1800sq ft?

Edited by indigomama

I have never lived in a state that commonly has basements, so sorry if this questions seems dumb, but do people count their basement space on real estate listings?

For example, if I am looking at a house that has 1800sq ft and I notice that the listing has a picture of a finished basement does is that space part of the 1800sq ft?

In my experience, no.

Hmmm, okay. Is there a way to tell whether it's included from an online listing?

Currently looking in Wisconsin, but anywhere DH gets a job.

I'd just call up and directly ask whatever agency website you're using. Alternatively, find a listing agent that includes room dimensions or ask for those from an agent on a house that has a basement per the listing.

In our listing the basement information will be in building features or wherever they cover foundation type. Usually if they list rooms with dimensions they will also tell you above ground or main level or UG (underground) if the house has a basement. Adding the room dimensions will tell you if they included basement. I don't know how you would know otherwise and the room dimension information is an "if you ask" thing anyway.

An example...right now a home is listed as 2304 SF. It mentions an unfinished walkout basement. I know, because I saw the house, that the basement has tons of water. The living space in that home is 1150 SF. Unfortunately in this particular market there is no way for me to know that unless I ask the realtor to send me a sheet with room dimensions or I see the home directly. I've also seen basements called finished that had water.

I really think in most markets you will only see finished space as SF but don't assume unless you know.

Edited by sbgrace

Hmmm, okay. Is there a way to tell whether it's included from an online listing?

Currently looking in Wisconsin, but anywhere DH gets a job.

If you keep looking at photos of houses and they have a ton of square footage, but don't look that large, it's a good tip-off. Also, if you go to a site like Trulia.com or Zillow.com, they often list "above ground square footage" and "below grade" (basement) square footage in their property descriptions.

In our area the listings only include "taxable living area," which does not include the basement even if finished. We almost didn't go look at our house because the taxable living area was only 1590 feet and I thought it looked too small. Turns out there was also a huge, completely finished, walk-out, lower-level family room with sliding glass doors on to a lovely patio. But that didn't "count," any more than a wet, dirt-floored, windowless pit of a basement does.