Menu

Can pin roll curls be done with out sleeping on them?

Tap

I need a 1940s up do next weekend. I work most of the day, and then have an event that evening. I don't want to buy hot set rollers for one night of hair, so I was thinking about experimenting with pin curls. I have insomnia as it is, so I know I won't be able to sleep in pin curls, nor do I want to go to my job all day in a 1940s hair style. LOL . Can they be done in the day without wearing them for hours? I have to work that day, so I will only have an hour to get ready once I am home.

Haha...funny you should ask this. I just put DD11yr's hair in pin curls about 1.5hr ago for her show choir show tonight. Hoping the 5-6hr they're in (I did not wet them....only gel) is enough. Although, it doesn't sound like even that would be doable for you.

I'll let you know if it works. Could you make sure they are just barely damp and then blast them with the hair dryer??

Can't you just use a curling iron? They have all different kinds and sizes now. I think that would be the easiest solution.

I don't have one. I haven't used a curling iron in 10 years, so I threw mine away a long, long time ago. LOL I have a Chi flat iron that I can make large curls with, but I can't get it small enough or close enough to my head to look right for what I want to do.

ETA: I do have a tiny flat iron that I use when my hair is super short, maybe I will try that! It isn't a very hot iron, but for one night it may work.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I am experimenting with using my flat iron to warm the hair first and thin pin roll it.....but I am out of bobby pins so I need to buy some before I can really try it out.

I am also experimenting with using the flat iron to make smaller curls, but it is hard to get them going the right direction. LOL I am finding that I can make smaller curls than I thought with my Chi, so maybe I can combing flat iron curls with pins to make the curls, really set for the night.

I was also thinking that I may want to pick up a cheap snood, just in case I mess up that night and don't have time to fix it. LOL

Haha...funny you should ask this. I just put DD11yr's hair in pin curls about 1.5hr ago for her show choir show tonight. Hoping the 5-6hr they're in (I did not wet them....only gel) is enough. Although, it doesn't sound like even that would be doable for you.

I'll let you know if it works. Could you make sure they are just barely damp and then blast them with the hair dryer??

Let me know how it goes! There is just something so distinctive about a pin roll curl that I don't think I can get without pinning it.

I don't know about your timing isssue, but rag curls are much more comfy.

Cut from an old tshirt strips appx 1" thick and 6" long. Wash and dry hair, no leave in conditioner or gel. [Maybe you would some light hair spray on dry hair if you want a speed set?] Tie a length (width varies by desired size/number of curls) of hair together at the end/bottom, roll up and tie again close to the head. Leave in several hours, then cut or untie the rags, run fingers through hair to fluff and style, apply hair spray. We love this method because the rags are soft and the whole business starts with clean dry hair. Hard to believe it works - it is the only way curls will stay in one of my dd's thick, straight hair.

If you have a small barrel curling iron, you can also do it this way - again starting with fresh washed and dried hair with no leave in conditioner. Roll sections up from bottom to scalp, hold til hair heated through, carefully slide off barrel and pin curl in place. Once all curls are made and pinned, apply hair spray and leave pins in place until the hair is completely cooled. Remove pins and style with as little actual brushing as possible. This second method works very well for my (mature adult) hair; it gives me curls without frizz. IME, curling hair while wet and drying it into curls always produces frizz along with the curls.

Have fun!