Menu

Have you ever just started over?

k3bzr18

Hi,

I could really use some advice/guidance/words of experience. We are finishing our first year of homeschooling and of course, it is much different than I pictured, not to say its bad, but the realism of life and younger children is much more apparent. I have dabbled in a few cirriculum, but now am really starting to feel like I know which direction to go and that is why I am here on this site. I am old enough (sad to admit) to remember having to memorize in public school since I attended before it was completely taken out. I truly believe classical christian education is our direction. I have a hodge podge of things right now, Horizons math, explode the code and hooked on phonics, Sonlight. I feel like I need to start over from scratch to follow this model. Has anyone ever done this and how did it go? Should I do so in the fall? My oldest is 6 in May...I feel awful that I may be inconsistent and confusing...

help

:confused:

Thank you,

Lynn

Technically, your dd will be 1st grade in the fall. That is when the history/science rotations in WTM begin. So you are not behind nor do you need to feel like you are 'starting over." You are starting from the beginning. Anything before 1st is a bonus!

I am also old enough to remember memorizing and chanting many things in P.S. I naturally teach that way. I didn't even know the term "classical education" when my oldest was in K. I was still researching what was going to be our path. I discovered WTM some time that year and started it in 1st. I would finish your year and move towards what you want for next, as long as those materials are working well.

I can't imagine making my child start over (unless it all just went horribly and he/she didn't learn a thing), but I would just pick up the style you really desire at the next level. If you no longer wish to use HOP and ETC, I would finish up the books/levels you have (or finish out the year) and then start fresh with your next approach next year.

Edited by pitterpatter

I think a trait of a good teacher is the ability to evaluate what's working, what's not, and make necessary adjustments. You have NOT done anything wrong - you've just learned what will work best for your homeschool!

When you have lots of littles alongside one older child doing "school," your school will look a lot different than when you have many school-aged kids all studying. Give yourself some slack and know that you aren't in a race, and there's no one "right" way to teach.

It sounds like you have a great plan. I'd make whatever changes you feel will work best, and be prepared to evaluate again this time next year.

I am assuming you don't mean starting over as if the child had never had any schooling, right? I frequently switch curricula. If it's not working for one child, I switch with the next. We switch mid-semester if I am not liking the curricula or the child isn't or I just feel like it. ;) I don't go back over old information unless I feel like the kids didn't get it the first time.

I do often cover similar information using different techniques or books just to reinforce. For our family the key is to cover the topics I want to have covered in some kind of reasonable order using whatever methodology or resources seem to fit best at the time. :001_smile:

If you mean by "starting over" that you're just going to take a new approach, I've done that many times. I've been homeschooling for 15 years. It's a learning process for both teacher/parent and child. I still tweak things here and there, depending upon the child's strengths and interests. For the first few years of homeschooling, I think I switched math curriculum every 6 months. My oldest is in college working on a double in chemistry and computer science - LOTS of math. Those early "starting over" years didn't hurt him at all. :)

Yes, and the post above....that is what I mean....can't quite spit it out!

Thank you!:grouphug:

I am assuming you don't mean starting over as if the child had never had any schooling, right? I frequently switch curricula. If it's not working for one child, I switch with the next. We switch mid-semester if I am not liking the curricula or the child isn't or I just feel like it. ;) I don't go back over old information unless I feel like the kids didn't get it the first time.

I do often cover similar information using different techniques or books just to reinforce. For our family the key is to cover the topics I want to have covered in some kind of reasonable order using whatever methodology or resources seem to fit best at the time. :001_smile:

Expect to want to start over several more times yet. Find a balance between totally starting over, and filling in any gaps.

When you run out of ways to start over, you will start cycling back to methods you abandoned, and will beat yourself up for abandoning them :-)

There is no "right" way. Try not to obsess :-)

First generation homeschooling is difficult. Even second generation homeschoolers seem to be waffling. They often start off doing the opposite of the the way they were taught, and then act almost like the first generation homeschoolers. I haven't met any 3rd generation families yet :-0

Hi,

I truly believe classical christian education is our direction.

Look into Teaching the Trivium

http://www.triviumpursuit.com/

and Charlotte Mason

http://www.amblesideonline.org/index.shtml

The Well Trained Mind recommends children learn about their families religion for 10-15 minutes a day during family time. No other subjects are recommended for as little as 50 minutes a week and no other subjects are suggested for "family time." I don't consider The Well Trained Mind to be a plan for classical Christian education. It might be helpful for you to read anyway.

I think you're worrying too much over the early grades :)

You need to enjoy the years before 3rd and 4th grade :)

I've revamped curricula numerous times, even sometimes mid-year. Both boys were never adversely affected by it.

Maybe once they got to 6th or 7th grade, I was less likely to change gears.

I started over in January. I am also a first year homeschooler. I think it is very natural to learn on the job and through trial and error. I don't think there is anything wrong with changing curricula or tweaking what you are doing. If you feel like you know the direction you want your homeschool to go in, then just do it!!! There is no need to wait until a particular time.

One caution: relax. I have really killed myself trying to have a complete plan that I will be 100% happy with. I will hear of a new curricula and think I made a wrong choice. Just know that there are tons of wonderful curricula. Most of them would work with your children. Changing is fine, but changing constantly is not.

If you are interested in Classical Education, I highly recommend Climbing Parnassus if you haven't read that! Classical Education is wonderful and will probably work great in your family, but give yourself permission to adapt it to suit your family and each individual child.

I think I am going to print out a huge banner and hang in it my house: "RELAX!!!!!!" That is the hardest part for me to do right now. I spend so much time planning and thinking and not as much time just enjoying my homeschool. :lol: