Menu

Printers are going to drive me nuts.

Found a printer I liked (has to have a copier) and it was on sale for 100. Then I went and looked up the cartridges-100. :glare::confused: And you know you can't ever just use ONE cartridge.

But, it's supposed to print out 600 pages on ONE cartridge-is there any merit to that?

I just feel like printers and ink are the biggest scam going. :glare:

I've been using my Canon MP600 for about five years now. It's no longer made, but there must be a replacement model.

I won't say it conserves ink, but it's never given me a minute's trouble. It even prints great photos if I remember to get into the settings first and tweak a bit.

I really like the brother laser jet printers. I'm on my second one (first one lasted 6 years or so, it actually still works but is making strange noises. we bought a new one while we had the money verses waiting till it dies because we didn't know if we'd have the money at that point and didn't want to be without a printer). Printer cost is about $200 but the cartridges cost about $50 (or $65 if you get the high density ones). But a base cartridge gives you about 2000 sheets and the high density is about 4500 sheets. So you pay more up front, but the long term cost is lower.

I have a fantastic Dell laser all-in-one printer that has served me well for years. I've only bought 2 or 3 cartridges for it and I print quite a bit. Then I replaced my Gateway laptop with a MacBook and the Dell will.not.print. with it. I've been able to use it still, it's just complicated. I hate the idea of searching for a new printer.

My husband does some cockamamie thing with toner that involves -- I think -- refilling the cartridge thing himself. Does that sound plausible? I don't actually know what he does, but it involves a fair amount of mess and apparently saves quite a bit of money. Hmm. I will try to remember to ask him about it later and post.

You can use this site to find out the true cost of a printer for what your current needs are! It is a really cool tool !

I was determined one time to change from my HP printer because I felt that it was too expensive on ink. After using this site and some basic calculations, I figured out that it would take me 2 years to reap any reward from switching to a new printer (with toner instead of ink), due to the cost of buying the printer first (calculated with buying it on sale). I decided it want worth the switch, and now I am glad I didn't. We have greatly reduced our printing needs these past few years and it would have taken way longer than that estimated 2 years to see a benefit.

I've been using my Canon MP600 for about five years now. It's no longer made, but there must be a replacement model.

I won't say it conserves ink, but it's never given me a minute's trouble. It even prints great photos if I remember to get into the settings first and tweak a bit.

I've just bought a Canon MG5250 after having a disastrous time with two HP printers breaking, one after only 3 months. It's had brilliant reviews here in the UK, and already DH is singing its praises for its ease of set up and excellent quality (and he was initially a bit :glare: at the idea of spending out more on yet another printer). I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so we'll have to see how long it lasts, although I've got it up in my den well away from little fingers, so that might help :tongue_smilie:. It's good to hear yours has lasted so well Darla.

Best wishes

Cassy

ETA With our old HP printers DH used to fill the cartridges up with cheap ink from the supermarket - it worked OK for printing out pictures for DS4 to colour (he is a prolific colourer).

Edited by Cassy

I've just bought a Canon MG5250 after having a disastrous time with two HP printers breaking, one after only 3 months. It's had brilliant reviews here in the UK, and already DH is singing its praises for its ease of set up and excellent quality (and he was initially a bit :glare: at the idea of spending out more on yet another printer). I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so we'll have to see how long it lasts, although I've got it up in my den well away from little fingers, so that might help :tongue_smilie:. It's good to hear yours has lasted so well Darla.

Best wishes

Cassy

ETA With our old HP printers DH used to fill the cartridges up with cheap ink from the supermarket - it worked OK for printing out pictures for DS4 to colour (he is a prolific colourer).

I have the same story-a run of awful HPs and then a brilliant Canon. It has lasted since late 2008/2009 with no trouble. It has worked with PCs and lasted through our switch to Apple.

I have the same story-a run of awful HPs and then a brilliant Canon. It has lasted since late 2008/2009 with no trouble. It has worked with PCs and lasted through our switch to Apple.

The only hp printer I ever owned used to go into hysterics if you did the slightest thing wrong. Let it run out paper and it was a process getting it up and running again. Dare to send an item to the printer mistakenly while the printer is off? It would have a big hairy fit printing messages that looked to be from outer space before it started working right again. Ugh! Never again.

With my Canon, I just put paper in and hit the "OK" button and it prints. If it's off I just turn it on and in a minute or so, it prints! Imagine that! :001_smile:

HP LaserJet 1022 :) I get 1000's of pages, black and white, for 60ish dollars. Love it!

Check out the laserjet models. You will get more print for your dollar.

(Always read reviews, there are the junk models for HP .... the low-cost money makers with expensive ink that break quick - same for any maker too)

Now, see, Cannon was the one that just died on me. I could have bought the thing 6 times over for what I spent in ink.

My brother HL5370dw cost $150. Toner costs $78 and the output is 8,000 pages. Even if that is an inflated number, you can't beat the price! We just bought the color version for dh's workplace.

I know! I saw those there--but I really need a copier, too.

Edited by justamouse

Now, see, Cannon was the one that just died on me. I could have bought the thing 6 times over for what I spent in ink.

I know! I saw those there--but I really need a copier, too.

Both of the Brothers that I have had are the all in one kind. You should be able to find one for between 150-200 depending on what other features you want.

For instance the one we bought at Thanksgiving was $150 (cyber monday deal, normal sale price is about 200), it does printing, copying, scanning, faxing but the best feature is DUPLEX printing.