Menu

We are 12 days out from our Disney trip. What are the last minute things I need to do

Come up with a souvenir policy and communicate it to your kids. It is useless to say "no souvenirs." Even you will start thinking, by about Day 3, "You know, Mickey ice cubes would be a really fun reminder of our trip..." It is best just to resign yourself to the fact that you will come home with stuff and figure out how to manage and enjoy the process.

We have had several different policies over the years: (1) each kid picks one souvenir for the entire trip, which is frustrating because the merchandise is not the same everywhere, and you may see something on Day One and never see it again; (2) each child is given a budget, which can be frustrating because then they tend to want to maximize the number of souvenirs, rather than the quality; (3) only the parents pick the souvenir(s); (4) each child gets one item per day (this was the first trip only and has not been repeated); or (5) some combination or variation of 1-4.

I am not a shopper, but even I enjoy browsing the shops at Disney. They must put something in the water that makes you want to buy their stuff.

Terri

... (1) each kid picks one souvenir for the entire trip, which is frustrating because the merchandise is not the same everywhere, and you may see something on Day One and never see it again...

Also remember, you can have your hotel concierge (if you're staying on site) call and *find* that item for you if you regret not picking it up. If you do it before your second-to-last day, you can have the item simply shipped to your resort and pick it up in the gift shop. ... Just so you know that's a possibility. :) (If you're not staying on site, there's still a number you can call to make purchases of items sold *anywhere* in the parks. They will track things down for you even with bare-bones information, lol.)

I agree that having a souvenir plan is good. Usually we say "one souvenir per kid" and end up with an extra small item or two anyway (that we might buy when kids aren't around and sneak into their bags on the way out). Some items will be "junk", of course, but other things we've brought home have been well-loved. A kimono from "Japan" in Epcot, a hidden-Mickey scarf from Animal Kingdom, subtle Christmas ornaments that hide on the tree and remind us of Disney, a Mickey-hand spatula that gets used all the time... :)

Have a great trip!

subtle Christmas ornaments that hide on the tree and remind us of Disney, a Mickey-hand spatula that gets used all the time... :)

Have a great trip!

We have several Disney Christmas ornaments as well; I highly recommend then as family souvenirs. Also, the Mickey pepper grinder, Mickey waffle maker, Mickey pizza cutter and the Micky oven mitt, so I hear, are useful souvenirs. Word on the street is that the metal Mickey trivet, however, is so slippery that hotdishes might slide off of it.

Other long-time favorite souvenirs: Mickey beach towels; a beautifully-illustrated re-telling of the Uncle Remus stories (wasn't available the last time we were there, though); Mary Poppins books (from Britain at Epcot); Anne of Green Gables stuff (Canada at Epcot; also not available last time); and, of course, assorted stuffed Mickeys.

Terri

Pack earplugs. Everything there is LOUD. If you are in a show, you can just plug up the ears with the plugs rather than fingers and it is much more enjoyable.

You're staying on property right? I'd have a plan for the stuff you plan on carrying in to the parks with you. If you have a stroller and need to take a bus back to your resort, you'll need to fold up the stroller. If you have a bunch of stuff in the bottom of the stroller, that becomes a monumental task! (Just trust me - take tired, cranky, sleepy child out of stroller, grab all the carp out of stroller, fold up stroller, all while stressed out and just wanting to get back to your resort, UGH!!) Bring a backpack that will fit into the bottom of the stroller with all your stuff. When it's time to fold up the stroller, it's simple. (Well, simpler than the alternative!)

Remember to take time for swimming and relaxing at the resort. Those are some of my favorite memories from all our trips.

Don't overpack. If you forget something, you can always get it there!

HAVE FUN!!!

Make sure to bring sunscreen. We've had a mild winter and it might be hot, but even if it isn't, it likely will be sunny. Also, bring your own snacks and water into the parks. It will save you tons of money and you also don't have to wait in long lines when everyone is starving.

One thing we do is avoid going to parks two days in a row. We like to go to a park one day, and then the next day relax around the resort. We even have spent days just traveling around the property (monorail, bus, and boat) and hanging out at the other resorts. It really helps kids and parents both from being completely worn out and cranky.

Pack earplugs. Everything there is LOUD. If you are in a show, you can just plug up the ears with the plugs rather than fingers and it is much more enjoyable.

:iagree::iagree: Earplugs were such a lifesaver for us. My daughter was much more willing to be adventurous, and ride different things, knowing we had earplugs if it got too loud.

Keep post-it notes in your bag if you have an automatic-flush toilet phobic like we did. Slap a post-it over the sensor and no accidental flushes!

:

Keep post-it notes in your bag if you have an automatic-flush toilet phobic like we did. Slap a post-it over the sensor and no accidental flushes!

:iagree: That is on my list for next time!!! Disney is so good thinking of the needs of kids that the bathrooms always surprise me. My poor dd would not go into a bathroom by herself because the stupid toilet kept flushing while she was still on it. I had to stand there with my hand over the sensor EVERY.TIME!!!!! :glare:

:iagree: That is on my list for next time!!! Disney is so good thinking of the needs of kids that the bathrooms always surprise me. My poor dd would not go into a bathroom by herself because the stupid toilet kept flushing while she was still on it. I had to stand there with my hand over the sensor EVERY.TIME!!!!! :glare:

Been there and done that! Ugh! One year, I ended up squatting in a rest area bathroom with my hand over the sensor for a HALF HOUR with poor dd. She'd gotten constipated waiting so long for a non auto-flush potty.