Menu

story of the world?

Bellamoon

Which level? I think it would matter which one it is. You can probably adapt them all but it will take more or less work depending on the level. I know a lot of people don't do SOTW 4 with younger kids because of the subject matter and because it is written on a much higher level than SOTW 1 or 2.

I personally think it would be easier to adapt "up", so to add more resources and independent work to SOTW 1 or 2 for an older child than to figure out how to adapt "down" for a younger child.

I loved SOTW 1 for 1st grade. I think it's too easy for a 5th grader but you could fairly easily adapt it. Add more independent reading, add outlining or extra research from encyclopedias, etc. We did a lot of the projects that year and they were things I think would appeal to multi-ages.

Personally, I think it's fairly easy to adapt up and down. Next year, I'll be using SOTW 1 with my youngest, and my rising 6th grader has already asked if he can sit in. He has very fond memories of SOTW, and doesn't mind listening to stories for younger kids.

I'll have him do additional reading and outlining from some different sources. I'll have him create notebook pages for each section. He'll also use the logic stage literature schedule for ancients from Classical House of Learning to beef it up some more.

Personally, I think it's fairly easy to adapt up and down. Next year, I'll be using SOTW 1 with my youngest, and my rising 6th grader has already asked if he can sit in. He has very fond memories of SOTW, and doesn't mind listening to stories for younger kids.

I'll have him do additional reading and outlining from some different sources. I'll have him create notebook pages for each section. He'll also use the logic stage literature schedule for ancients from Classical House of Learning to beef it up some more.

Wow that is perfect! Thank you so much for that link!

I will be doing SOTW vol. 1 with my 3rd grader next year. My 5th grader will be doing the Classical House of Learning lit schedule that PP posted for reading/lit. For history she will sit through the SOTW readings again (she did it in 1st already) but her main work will be to read the KHE readings that are listed in the A.G. Then she will be assigned the history work that is laid out in the WTM for logic stage history. She will be doing an outline from one of her readings, and a timeline, and a history notebook.

I Personally don't want rigorous work for history but more so I want them to learn and have a love for history. I don't mind if the work is a bit easy. Its easy to adapt for dictation and narration but other than that I would rather History and Science just reinforce a love for learning. Math, Reading and Writing is important and highly structured in my opinion. All the other topics should continiously exposing them to information in an interesting form.

That being said, I am using SOTW1 with all of my kids. They all enjoy the topics and discussions. My oldest boys even do the coloring pages and maps with competition to see who can color the best.... I suppose it depends on the child and their interests.