Menu

Favorite curric for K

Tsutsie

What might that be?

I have SL P4/5, but really missed the hands-on activities for me non-hands-on-loving son. For my crafty little girl, I don't think this is an option.

I need my days spelled out for me, with everything right there. I' building my 3rd graders curric for next year, and for now, doing 2 will be to much for me.

Any ideas?

Math: Saxon 1

Logic: Building Thinking Skills Hands-on Primary

Writing: Pre-Scripts (not out yet....from CC)

Spelling: AAS 1

Memory Work: CC Foundations, IEW Poetry, Memory Work Notebook (CLP), AWANA

Reading: AAR 1 followed by The Phonics Museum K and VP K Lit and Bob Books

Science, Geography, History, Social Studies: R&S GHI Series and MP Lit/Enrichment portion of lesson plans w/ K Read aloud portion

Bible: VP K Bible, AWANA

Art: Artistic Pursuits, VP fine art primers

Music: Suzuki violin

Nest videos, Schoolhouse Rocks videos, Leapfrog videos, AIG videos, Spanish immersion videos, etc.

Hoping to spend about 6 months on the above plus 6 weeks of art and break.

Followed by:

MP K package, double pace

(but use literature and enrichment portion throughout the year as they are tied to the seasons)

Hoping this will take 4 months at this rate......We'll see....trying it out this coming year with my third child.

Add Handle on the Art's supplement to P4/5. I like MFW 100 chart plan for K math. Each day put a craft stick in a jar, count the sticks and write the number of sticks on the 100 chart. Once your numbers get high enough, bundle groups of ten sticks in a rubber band. After the child can count well at least to 30, start Math Mammoth 1.

I'm still not sure of my favorite LA.

This year I for my son I did use P4/5 since the stories are so great and just added other things:

--Sonlight P 4/5 (basically the read alouds plus activities, not the language arts or science)

--Explode the Code 1-2, OPGTTR, Handwriting Without Tears K, and all about spelling 1 for language arts

--he did science and history with his older brother

--I had lots of Kumon (and ones like them) books we used for cutting, pasting, dot to dot, crafts, etc... plus we used atelier art once a week for art.

--he did piano and basketball/soccer on the side

We've had a great year so far with this set up.

Thank you so much for pointing me to Handle on the Arts!

I hang out here to much, you'd think I'd know about it - but alas! Seems like I need to hang out here even more!

We are set now for an additional $20! Bargain!

:hurray: I didn't know about it with P4/5, but we are using the one that goes with Core A. It's great and, I agree, a bargain at $20.

:hurray: I didn't know about it with P4/5, but we are using the one that goes with Core A. It's great and, I agree, a bargain at $20.

Well, sheesh, I was all set with P4/5 since I updated my IG to the new one with hands-on activities, but now I want the Handle on the Arts too! I don't like this choosing thing. :glare:

PS: I even knew about HOTA and used it for Core B, but I was trying to stay away from it for simplicity's sake. Off to ponder HOTA some more. :)

I don't get it. Where is this Handle on the Art thing? I don't see it on Sonlight. I found a website for Handle on the Art, but I don't see any reference to Sonlight cores. The only thing I see for $20 on there is a start up kit, and it's on sale. Anyone have a link?

Are you still using Calvert or how did you decide to switch? We are considering a K curriculum, but used Calvert for our 10 year old. I went over to your blog and saw the review of Nancy Larson, so are you using something else now?

If you have any suggestions or ideas we'd really appreciate them, it's a hard choice...we are considering FIAR fo our 4 year old now.

Amy

Amy,

I am no longer using Calvert. However, it wasn't because I didn't like it. It was just out of our price range. I was able to select my curriculum cheaper by buying it separately. Calvert was pretty good and others have told me they enjoyed it too. The only downfall for me is that I love to supplement curriculum. Since the Calvert curriculum was so complete it never really gave me the opportunity to supplement. Nothing extra was "needed." But overall it is a great option if you want a no fuss curriculum. :) I hope this helps!

I love to supplement too! Our son is doing Calvert 4th and I still do in certain areas where he needs more. He just takes the spelling tests, but we also had a spelling bee list. And we love their CHOW history text but we are also going through SOTW at the same time. I do like Calvert, always think of it as a good solid curriculum -- but we go for enrichment too.

At the same time I can see where this might not always work. Our daughter, 4, is a different sort altogether! Very bright but needs a different approach. So I think for now piecing together a K curriculum would work best. Will have to see when she gets older what to do.

Thanks again!

Amy