Menu

Is 27 on the ACTs a good score?

My test anxiety daughter received a 27 on the ACTs. She hasn't finished Algebra 2, so I'm trying to encourage her to re-take the ACT.

She did great in reading and English, but needs work on math and science. I think she won't be as anxious the second time around and may be able to bring her math score up. She's not interested in improving the score, but I'm waiting to see how she feels after she finishes her Algebra.

Edited by Stillwood
removed my daughter's scores.

It depends on the selectivity of the colleges she wants to apply to.

Many colleges will see that as a good score. Highly selective ones will think it's kind of so-so. They'll look at other factors as well, though.

A higher score may put her in the running for more scholarships, but she might already be in that category for a good number of schools.

27 on the ACT is a fine score. If she wants to apply for a lot of scholarships, I would advise her to take the test again. She'll qualify for more scholarships and academic programs if she ends up with something over 30, BUT 27 is a solid, very good score. It's well above what is needed for many state university admissions.

Absolutely!! Great score. My son found the science came up with practice tests - he learned which kind were most difficult for him and then he saved those for last. Her math will defintely come up, too and the others could as well. But it is a great score as it stands. Not a top scholarship score (one state U gives their top for 32 and above, a private school allows 29 and up to compete for their top score) But 27 will get some scholarship at a lot of the state/municiple colleges around here.

Yes!!!!! It will definitely get her into decent college!!! That said, if she studies a little more, she could up her score. I am reposting how I had my son prepare for the ACT:

I thought I would share how I had my son prepare for the ACT. This came in part because of a college confidential question about how they did on a practice test and how they did on a real test. I saw how much he had improved. I bought two books: the red REAL ACT booklet and the Barrons 36 book.

The first week he took 1 of the practice tests out of the real ACT book. One test a day: math, reading, English, Science and writing. I like spreading it out as it only adds 25 minutes to his regular school day. He got a Engl. 31, Math 27, Reading 29, Science 27. His composite was 28. He looked at what he missed and WHY he missed it.

Over the next month he did a subject a week: He read through the English section in the Barrons ACT 36 book. He did the exercises in the book. He took a practice test in that subject in the REAL ACT book and tried to understand WHY he missed what he missed. Would anything in the Barrons book have helped him with what he missed? The scores from that test that he took over that month were:English 32, Math 30, Reading 32, and science 26. Composite 30.

Then we had one week left until the exam. Once again he took a test over that week. HOWEVER, we discovered these cool science videos online so instead of doing the science test he watched these videos ( since as you can see that is the subject where he didn't improve)

I really wish we had found these earlier so he could have incorporated them into that week he spent on science prep. He didn't make it all the way through the videos. His scores for that test were:

English 32, Math 30, and Reading 34.

I also wish we had been better about practicing the essays. He only did those 3. I should have had him practice several each week. But he had writing in his other "real" classes and I didn't want to take away from that. Until the SAT this March I am making the writing his writing for English.

So he took the ACT in December and these were his scores:English 35, Reading 34, Math 34 and science 31. His composite was 34. His writing score was 7.

This was a relatively painless way to prepare for the ACT. He spent around 30 minutes a day for 6 weeks. We are doing something similar for the SAT except we are adding in more prep for writing.

Now I don't promise that your daughter will get a 34. But I bet she could up her score to the lower 30's if she wants to!

I feel badly for not encouraging her to finish her math earlier. She's been dual enrolled in this State College for three years. Started her Intermediate Algebra class a couple of months ago and is doing great.

I guess she applies to universities, then they possibly offer a scholarship??? I'm not sure how it works. She's a member of Phi Theta Kappa, so I'm hoping she'll get on a mailing list to alert Universities, as she hasn't received in mail from them.

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Edited by Stillwood

Is she planning a gap year? I'm asking because generally seniors are done with the standardized tests and have already applied or are finishing up applying to colleges. If she's planning on going to a university next year, I think her 27 will have to stand as it's too late to take it again and get the scores to the colleges in time for their decision. I don't know if it's possible to still take it and have it help with scholarships though.

Stillwood, I love questions because it generates so much interesting information. Thank you for asking them!

Thanks for the ACT study outline too Choirfarm. Sounds like a great plan with clear results for your son.

ETA: Looked at the video and saw it was SuperMagnetMan! We have benefited from his magnetic info for a while now. I didn't know he had ACT videos.

and changed our minds. She will actually graduate in August, which is how our school has operated. I thought she could take another ACT in June. She would continue with her State College until she gets into a university.

BTW I forgot to write that a 27 is good! Since she's not in a hurry to apply this year, then I would definitely encourage her to study and take it again. Choirfarm's post has great suggestions. 27 is good, but if she can make it closer to 30 or over that, the scholarships may be even better. :)

I feel badly for not encouraging her to finish her math earlier. She's been dual enrolled in this State College for three years. Started her Intermediate Algebra class a couple of months ago and is doing great.

I guess she applies to universities, then they possibly offer a scholarship??? I'm not sure how it works. She's a member of Phi Theta Kappa, so I'm hoping she'll get on a mailing list to alert Universities, as she hasn't received in mail from them.

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Ok, can she just go to the cc next year as a regular college student? I would have her see an advisor there. Typically, you apply to the college early in the fall for the following fall. So she should go see a counselor at the cc that specializes in tranfering to a regular university. Our cc has lists of courses for every major university in Texas and what classes will transfer to which university. How many college hours does she have? You will have to weigh which would be better: having her just work with a gap year next year and applying to a university for the following fall as a freshman if you think she qualifies for good scholarships as a freshman. Freshman scholarships are technically better than transfer scholarships. Or if she has quite a few hours as dual credit ( 30 or so), you could have her take a full load at the cc next year ( 30) and transfer as a junior to the school of her choice.

What schools does she want to attend? She should first make a list of those. Look at entrance requirements for them and deadlines. Look at the scholarships they have listed on their sites.

Good luck!!

HOWEVER, we discovered these cool science videos online so instead of doing the science test he watched these videos ( since as you can see that is the subject where he didn't improve)

:iagree:

My "scientist"-ds was quite surprised and disappointed in his initial science score on the ACT. He thought this video was hugely helpful to understand HOW to tackle the ACT science section. Students are really pressed for time in this section, so we found that learning test taking strategies helped tremendously. :)

Many colleges will see that as a good score. Highly selective ones will think it's kind of so-so. They'll look at other factors as well, though.

A higher score may put her in the running for more scholarships, but she might already be in that category for a good number of schools.

:iagree: If looking at a mid-level private or state school a 27 would be competitive for admission and is a good score. It could also garner some scholarship $$.

If looking for a top tier private or similar selectivity state flagship then it's not so good and not likely to garner any merit aid - admission would be iffy at best and not likely at all at the top of the top.

If looking at a lower level state school or private it's an excellent score and could provide great merit aid.

It all depends upon one's plan and how much money one is hoping to get in merit aid from their desired school. (Some schools don't give merit aid.)

If looking at all who take the test, a 27 is 87th percentile - meaning in a group of 100 students your student would be #13 in line (starting with the best score). Personally, I think that's commendable and something to be proud of. ;)

:iagree:

DD is looking at state schools. She scored a 28 last year and it is high enough to get into the schools she is looking at right now. She's told me if she scores high enough, she'll apply to Duke just for kicks. (Duke needs a 30-34 according to collegeboard.org.)

she is getting married this Nov. She'll be 18 1/2 and her fiancé enlisted in the Air Force for 6 years. She'll apply to whatever college/university is nearby their baseto finish BA. We're in Florida and her Fl. Prepaid will pay for a college out of FL. Luckily, military spouses get to pay in-state tuition. So hopefully

they won't be saddled with college bills.

I'm hoping some kind of merit aid will help them. She has 30 credits and will have 37 when she finishes this semester.