Menu

Talk to me, please: Brain Fog & Restless Leg Syndrome---Gone With......

Gluten-free eating and possibly switching to a Vegan eating style?

We eliminated gluten last week and are eating vegan meals --

I noticed the first couple of nights that I actually got into bed and fell asleep 'normally' -- please understand, I have not fallen asleep and stayed asleep till morning easily, naturally, without Xanax IN YEARS!!!!!!

Usually, I toss and turn, cannot stay still, get out of bed, get back into bed, and repeat that over and over till about 4am, I collapse exhausted into bed and finally sleep.

LAST NIGHT, I fell asleep -- I got into bed and fell asleep. And woke up this morning without any brain fog -- I didn't even know that I had brain fog till this morning when I realized that it wasn't there.

Experiences? Anyone?

Yes, I can relate. I used to have terrible RLS. But since we have been eating a paleo diet, it has been much better. We are grain/gluten free. I will still have some symptoms if I eat something that I shouldn't though. When we first changed out diet, I did notice that I slept so much better.

IDK, maybe. Have you checked RLS.org? I found this document there.

Gluten is not a common culprit of RLS. Maybe it was more the vegan style of eating. If you were eating a lot of iron rich leafy greens you may have triggered something.

Normally the causes of RLS are genetics, iron deficiency, a reaction to meds or a symptom of an underlying disease such as diabetes, Parkinson's or kidney failure.

But if going gluten free and eating in a vegan way helps, keep it up. Nothing is worth losing sleep.

PS I have the genetic type. It runs rampant on my dad's side of the family.

I don't know about RLS, but my dd that can't tolerate gluten used to sleep like a bag of ants. She'd toss and turn and kick and wiggle and.... From the time she was born. She never slept well until we figured out that she can't eat gluten. The only time that she's had some gluten since then, she spent 4 days sleeping with the tossing&turning again in addition to her stomach problems.

I'm so happy to hear this for you! I would definitely keep doing what your doing. This is working for you and that's all that matters.:grouphug:

:iagree: I've been Atkins for years and I definitely notice that my restless leg is worse when I cheat or go off the bandwagon:001_smile: I'm now trying to go totally gluten free (LC diets do use Wheat Gluten in some recipes).

However, I still don't sleep well - but that is partially the snoring man beside me at night. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I've been Atkins for years and I definitely notice that my restless leg is worse when I cheat or go off the bandwagon:001_smile: I'm now trying to go totally gluten free (LC diets do use Wheat Gluten in some recipes).

However, I still don't sleep well - but that is partially the snoring man beside me at night. :tongue_smilie:

The snoring man beside me also hogs the covers and the bed -- I didn't even know he was there last night.:001_smile:

I can't speak for the gluten free part, but I know that everyone I personally know that went vegan felt so much better and eliminated so many health issues that they had.

My DH wants to try and go gluten free now, but I don't how I'll do it! :svengo: He won't have the will power to do it himself so I'll have to do it with him. We're already vegan and don't feel like gluten is affecting us in any way, but we're always up for learning and trying new things so it will be interesting if going gluten free will make us feel even better than we already do. :)