Menu

MFW ECC for 3rd grade

I, personally, believe it'd be ideal. My 2nd grader is tagging along with it this year. I would buy the Complete Book of Animals to supplement, dive in with some lapbooking of animals and ecosystems. A lot of the book basket books are great for that age.

hth :)

Great. Thanks. I wasn't sure if some of the books in the pack were too old much.

My opinion is that the Science book "Properties of Ecosystems" might be too much. If you don't mind reading it ahead of time and summarizing the information for your child, than it's a valuable resource. We just couldn't make it work this year. I have used the Complete book of animals and my kids are enjoying it and we're using some animal classifications and lapbooking from Exploration Earth to supplement science. So that is working well. My older might be able to handle it better, but my younger was getting nothing out of it. And i really need to combine. All the other books have been very good, though.

Yes, we just finished it last week. Great for a 3rd grader. Properties of Ecosystems was too much, but my ds learns a lot from reading, so I decided to let go of the "making sure he understands" part of that book and just read the pages and moved on. Pretty sure he picked up some stuff from it. He learned a lot from the Living World Encyclopedia and the Book of Animals. He was also too young for the World Geography book, but that is fine. We used everything else and had a great time.

I did ECC with a 3rd grader and a 1st grader, and we all loved it. We really liked the Complete Book of Animals, and we were able to use POE for the most part. The Geography Game is simple, and my dds really retained the information learned from it. My dds really liked the passports and country celebrations and are excited to do ECC again when they are in junior high.

PS - I did "edit" some of the read alouds as there were some violent parts. My dds are sensitive, so we just didn't need to deal with that. Also, we decided to save Kingdom Tales for when they are older. World Geography is geared for grades 5-8, so we didn't use that. But we used the other books and enjoyed them.

World Geography is geared for grades 5-8, so we didn't use that. But we used the other books and enjoyed them.

I think MFW worked with the publishers of World Geography to make a 3rd-8th grade edition.. that's what's showing on the website. I haven't seen the new book yet though.

-crystal

PS - I did "edit" some of the read alouds as there were some violent parts. My dds are sensitive, so we just didn't need to deal with that. Also, we decided to save Kingdom Tales for when they are older. World Geography is geared for grades 5-8, so we didn't use that. But we used the other books and enjoyed them.

You are the second person in a week I have heard say that they decided to save Kingdom Tales until they were older, or plan to save it. May I ask the reason? I have not read the book.

Next year I will have a 3rd and 2nd for ECC and I am looking forward to it. :) I am planning on doing Crystal's suggestion of blue boxes for POE and Complete book of animals. Then I am hoping to tie in the information from Apologia Land Animals since it relates to the science topics. Since I have not looked yet at the book I don't know exactly how that will work. We like Apologia with ADV science, and I want to keep going with it.

I guess in answer to your question I am not concerned about doing it with a just turned 9 and 7. I am sure though I will have some editing to do here and there in the deluxe package missionary bios. I am pre-reading the main Hero Tales spine (shorter bios of many missionaries) right now and so far I really don't see any edits needed in it.

So why do people choose to skip Kingdom Tales with younger students?

Edited by gratitude

We used ECC this year for 3rd grade, and a tag-along K5. It was fine. Some resources are for older students. We did not use Propery of Ecosystems at all.

But honestly, why wouldn't you keep your children together and just use Adventures for both? Two full programs of MFW, at the same time, for two children who are very close in age, and who will be very dependent on you (ie not doing alot of independent things) is kind of missing the point MFW, IMHO.

MFW is meant to be done, for the most part, as a family group. It's meant to cover several grade levels. Adventures is meant for 2nd-3rd range. Even if your 3rd grade did some other American history, Adventures would still be great. Or if your 3rd grader did Adventures, then do ECC for both....your 2nd one will get American history in a few years with MFW.

I think you are setting yourself up for alot of work and perhaps bring frustrating to yourself, with then ends up being a bad review for MFW, but in reality, it wasn't MFW so much, just that you had too much on your plate. Just my two cents. MFW programs are FULL programs. One program is alot of work. Two programs, at the same time, with your childrens age, I just don't see it going well. :).

But honestly, why wouldn't you keep your children together and just use Adventures for both? Two full programs of MFW, at the same time, for two children who are very close in age, and who will be very dependent on you (ie not doing alot of independent things) is kind of missing the point MFW, IMHO.

If I am reading correctly I think she is looking at ECC as her next program for her child who is currently doing ADV at age 7 and will be 8 next school year. Correct, original poster?

We are doing ECC with ours this year 3rd and 1st and it is good for their age. I do think there is a lot more they could get out of it if they were older but it works. This week we are doing France and building a model of the eiffel tower, having a cheese sampling day, and cooking two different yummy french recipes. I have to say though that it hasn't been as fun as our adventures year with MFW and I almost shelved it for a while. To fix this we just started combining two weeks into one to make it fit our family better. Best luck on you r choice and hope you have a blast with adventures!

If I am reading correctly I think she is looking at ECC as her next program for her child who is currently doing ADV at age 7 and will be 8 next school year. Correct, original poster?

Ooooh, I totaly misread her post......that's what I get for multi-tasking!!!

Sorry Op!!

You are the second person in a week I have heard say that they decided to save Kingdom Tales until they were older, or plan to save it. May I ask the reason? I have not read the book.

. . .

So why do people choose to skip Kingdom Tales with younger students?

We read the first few chapters of it as a read aloud, and I could tell that my 8 & 6 year old were not completely understanding the symbolism of the characters. The book is an allegory, and it has some rather intense parts, and I wanted to make sure that they understood the symbolism of those situations. I have not read through it completely, but I plan to preview more of it this summer with the idea that we may fit this book in next year during RtR.

I have read excellent reviews of this book online. People seem to really like it and find it meaningful. And a year and a half after we read parts of the book, my dds will occasionally ask when we are going to finish it. So it was definitely something that they enjoyed.

Gratitude,

On Kingdom Tales... stuff I've heard...

it can be an adventure story where they don't have to get all of the allegory right away. so some people like to wait a bit so it means more. For some children, it might be only waiting 6-9 months.

some children need a less intense first chapter. Although MFW did a rewrite of some sentences... it might be a little intense for some children in some of those early chapters. It's a little dark because it is setting up that the boy and his brother need to escape the evil and find the King!

(you can email me for a less intense version of chapter 1..... to preview... you know me... I teach lite and low impact exercise... so I take that scale it down skill and apply it to stories) ;)

Those are the big things I've heard on why to wait.

I did KT near end of ECC the second time. Oldest was 7th, middle gal was 4th (but at 3rd grade level)... it was right before we moved.....

My experience was that even my slow to average middle gal got a lot of what the story was about half way through. At first, it was just adventure - the hero (Hero) was looking for the King.... then it really began to click with her - the King is like Jesus and the evil Enchanter has to be like the devil. ooh...

I loved this book and cried many times in it at how much the King still loves me... even with all of my screw ups...

-crystal

. I have not read through it completely, but I plan to preview more of it this summer with the idea that we may fit this book in next year during RtR.

I've probably mentioned this somewhere... if you do in RTR... wait until around week 24 or so when read aloud is not scheduled with specific books.

but.. Kingdom Tales comes with a warning..... tissue boxes are a must when reading!

dragon eggs... sniff... just sayin'..... I can't believe I tear up just typing that...

I hope you get the time to preview and read it all and it touches you as much as I was touched..... it's worth the reading - ECC, RTR, summer... even if you don't do MFW........

-crystal