Menu

If you use MEP...

Elfknitter.#

I'm only using Reception, but I follow the teacher plans. It is made for a classroom and my daughter is speech delayed so some parts don't work for us and we leave them out. When we finish it (no time soon because we're concentrating on other things) I'm planning to try CSMP K, then some Miquon.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

It's our main program, with Singapore CWP as a supplement. I follow the lesson plans, adapting class activities to one-on-one equivalents as necessary.

My son used MEP last fall with Miquon math labs. Out of frustration, he wanted to stop MEP and we just did some living math for a few months. Then, a couple of weeks ago, he asked to pick up with MEP again. :confused: I don't know if it was the break or some living math that helped, but he's flying through MEP with no problem now.

So, he does MEP and Miquon...he's listening to the Life of Fred series (his younger sister is using this) and I always check out living math books from the library (like the Sir Cumference books).

I use MEP as a supplement. I print out worksheets from the grade level of my kids and give them if we have time. For my first grader, I give her an MEP worksheet every day since it doesn't take her long to do her other math work. I don't use any of the teaching materials with MEP. Sometimes there is a problem on an MEP worksheet in which I don't understand what the student is supposed to do, so we just skip it.

I use Horizons as my main program, and I also supplement with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems and Mental Math workbooks. In the summer I am going to use either Sinagpore's Intensive Practice or Extra Practice workbook for review and practice.

Today is our first day of MEP 3a. We picked it up as our main curriculum partway through 1a. We are hoping to switch to Beast Academy when it comes out, but we'll keep MEP around too. It's an amazing program for promoting deep math knowledge.

It's our main program, with Singapore CWP as a supplement. I follow the lesson plans, adapting class activities to one-on-one equivalents as necessary.

We haven't used CWP yet, but are supplementing with Primary Challenge Math from Ed Zaccarro.

I need to look into what I need for CWP, as that is in our plans.

We use MEP as our main program. I quickly look over the teacher's guide to see if any activities might work for us and then I help ds work through the problems on the sheet.

I also have Miquon materials, RightStart's ALabacus books and game set, and Singapore's CWP books and I rarely feel the need to supplement MEP. We love it!

Button is very much into math, and I have three main things going for him at the moment: MathUSee Delta, MUS Epsilon, and MEP Year 4. The emphasis shifts from week to week, depending on the contents being covered and what else we are doing. But we do some of each every week.

Button is thriving on this; it's what I started doing recently partly prompted by his malaise ...

Bot-bot's throwing food! off to discipline gently ;)

ETA: we're not moving esp. quickly through any one program right now! our "forward" progress has spread rather laterally/wide ...

Edited by serendipitous journey

We use MEP as our spine. Sweetie is in Year 3, and I'm eyeing Reception for Lil'un. We've had long breaks this year, like when we moved and then did the Beast Academy chapter, and we're also using Fred. I have lots of other math, too. But MEP is the spine, and we keep coming back to it no matter where we wander off to.

:)

When an activity calls for multiple students, I use stick figures on the white board.
When I do this, DD critiques and corrects my work. She can't help it -- it's the artist in her, and she is not content with "functional." Edited by nmoira
extra word

We are transitioning to having MEP as our spine for Dilly-Dallyer (5), who is doing the first grade level, and the twins (7), who are doing the third grade level. It's been working very well so far. We supplement with living math, Miquon and CWP, as appropriate. We couldn't be happier with math right now. I finally am done with math curric hopping. Well, until Beast Academy comes out. :D

ETA: We do the majority of the activities listed, but certainly not all of them. If we're having a rough math day, I send the kids off to play a round of Othello or chess or something, so I can feel like a semi-adequate parent.

Edited by SuperDad

For those who use MEP and supplement, why did you decide to do so?

How is it using a mastery supplement with a spiral program?

At this point in time, I don't really have an answer. We're only a week + 1 day in to it. So far, I really like MEP, but I've backed her up a couple years in it for exposure to the approach (puzzle like, thinking about math differently) and certain things she hasn't seen or had very little of (Roman numerals, for example). We just recently pulled out of PS so I felt that she needed some mastery/incremental to help fill in any gaps that are left from "fuzzy math" aka Everyday Math (my despise for this program runs deep and borders on irrational). MM is also one that I can overview with her then she can read and work on more independently, only questioning when she needs to, while I am working with DS. MEP is teacher intensive.

She's very quick on facts, and quite often astounds cashiers by calculating change in her head before they get it rung up in the till, but because facts come easy to her, anything that requires a little bit of thought frustrates her. I wanted to push her buttons just a little bit with easy facts of 2nd grade math, but requiring more thought to complete the question. She loves Math, and I don't want to push too hard, too fast and ruin that.

Take everything I say with a grain or 12,000 of salt. :tongue_smilie: I'm still brand new, so just feeling my way around and trying to get the hang of it all.

I'm bumping this back up with some questions!! :D

I've looked at MEP a couple times, but tonight I think I read enough that I understand how it goes together! I would be interested in using this to supplement... and I'm just wondering how that might look.

Some of you mentioned you use the activities, but some don't. Are you at a disadvantage if you don't? I was thinking that mainly my son would like the puzzle type problems. I was looking at the website and it has "interactive" worksheets online, and I know he'd love to use those. Have any of you worked with those interactive sheets?

We're still trying to settle on a main math program, but I really think MEP would get him to look at things differently and stretch his mind, regardless of what we end up using. If you have suggestions how to get started, they would be much appreciated!! :)

I've looked at MEP a couple times, but tonight I think I read enough that I understand how it goes together! I would be interested in using this to supplement... and I'm just wondering how that might look.

Some of you mentioned you use the activities, but some don't. Are you at a disadvantage if you don't? I was thinking that mainly my son would like the puzzle type problems. I was looking at the website and it has "interactive" worksheets online, and I know he'd love to use those. Have any of you worked with those interactive sheets?

We're still trying to settle on a main math program, but I really think MEP would get him to look at things differently and stretch his mind, regardless of what we end up using. If you have suggestions how to get started, they would be much appreciated!! :)

I think the consensus seems to be that if you use it as a main curriculum, then you need to do the lesson plan activities (or at least read them every day and do the ones are useful) whereas if you are just supplementing with it then its fine to just pick and choose from the worksheets. If you are just supplementing I don't think you'd be missing much at all by just doing the worksheets.

I've been very happy so far with it as a main curriculum, and then using Miquon to supplement when I need to. My son is totally average math ability wise, but he is definitely getting all the concepts and really thinking about things.

Elena

In the last couple of weeks I finally printed it out, sat down with the lesson plan and workbook side-by-side and "got" it. (Thanks to whomever it was that posted doing that. :lol:) So tomorrow I'm planning on trying Y2 with my MM1B and 2A students and see how it goes. I think they are going to enjoy the activities and shorter workbook pages (compared to MM.) The current plan is to have them do MM 3 days a week when I'm at work and MEP another 2-3 days in the week (when I'm home so I can lead the activities.) We'll see if that's what happens after tomorrow.

For those who use MEP and supplement, why did you decide to do so?

We supplement mainly because my dc really enjoy (and learn a lot from!) our supplemental programs. My kids need information presented in multiple formats in order for them to understand it. Plus, my own math education in ps was extremely lacking, and I just want to give my kids better.

MEP is our spine here. We do "warm-up math" which entails either a Miquon sheet or SM IP or CWP or Math Bingo or Addition War or playing store or whatever. Then we get cozy with our MEP lesson. I do check the lesson plans, but we're working through the tedious part of 1B where everything is the same.

Today is our first day of MEP 3a. We picked it up as our main curriculum partway through 1a. We are hoping to switch to Beast Academy when it comes out, but we'll keep MEP around too. It's an amazing program for promoting deep math knowledge.

Page 1 of of the 3a practice pages has a killer question as I recall.

Bill

The bookcase and shelves problem? (Had to go look....)

I think he means the system of equations with three unknowns. It was a dilly:

x + y + z = 100

x + y - z = 60

x - y + z = 40

x - y - z = 0

(Only of course the unknowns are shapes rather than letters.)

This is why I laugh hollowly when people ask whether MEP is "enough" or whether it is "behind" if you use it at grade level.

x + y + z = 100

x + y - z = 60

x - y + z = 40

x - y - z = 0

This is why I laugh hollowly when people ask whether MEP is "enough" or whether it is "behind" if you use it at grade level.

That's the one!

So much for a pleasant first day :tongue_smilie:

Bill

LOL... I showed my son that problem today and got wide eyes in return. But he really liked the stairstep problem below it where the sum was the next row up. I know interest when I see it. :)

I do think we'll at least occasionally use these worksheets, they'll definitely be good challenges!!

I do check the lesson plans, but we're working through the tedious part of 1B where everything is the same.

I skipped atleast half of 1b and haven't regretted it. It was interminable, and the beginning of year 2 is review anyway. But, my son was almost 7 and we were behind.

Elena

I skipped atleast half of 1b and haven't regretted it. It was interminable, and the beginning of year 2 is review anyway. But, my son was almost 7 and we were behind.

Elena

We could skip as Abbyis fairly adept at breaking apart numbers and can add and subtract up to 20 fine. BUT, we have busy lives of late and math is almost easy for her at this point. We're just going to finish it because it doesn't take much time, there's no freaking out, she thinks she's good at math (which we all know makes a BIG difference), and moving up to y2 would just complicate our mornings at this point. :)

I would use it for spine, but we just started using it this year, and we're using Year 4. It's difficult for us, so we go very slowly, just a half page a day or so of the practice book.

We also use Harcourt Family Workbooks, Glencoe free downloadable workbook, and Khan Academy.

Come to think of it, we don't really have a spine. We use each resource two or three times a week.

x + y + z = 100

x + y - z = 60

x - y + z = 40

x - y - z = 0

From a quick glance at that---that would be incredibly easy for a kid to figure out with C-rods. And at that age--I wouldn't necessarily want to expect them to do that mentally, but with c-rods--yeah.

Reading this thread because I've been looking at MEP. I like that it's free!:D I've printed out the first 10 lessons of reception and I plan on using it and SM Essential with my Kinder. And then I'll move him into Miquon. My older ds is finishing up Miquon this year (he also works through those grade leveled Kumon books---he loves those things and asks for them--I think he's weird lol) He'll be moving into Saxon next (people either hate it or love it from what I hear, but we're going to give it a try). I've thought about adding MEP for my oldest as well---but that seems like a bit much, especially since he's happy with his math. I also add games from Family Math (when I can remember it's on my shelf)

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to add MEP with an older student. Would it be a better program if they have worked with it from the beginning? Are there placement tests on MEP's site?

From a quick glance at that---that would be incredibly easy for a kid to figure out with C-rods. And at that age--I wouldn't necessarily want to expect them to do that mentally, but with c-rods--yeah.

I'm glad you suggested C-rods for this. I just looked at the question and thought I wouldn't have a clue how to approach that with a child. :001_unsure: It took me a couple of minutes to figure it out for myself!

How did other people approach this question with their children? What prompts, questions, suggestions would you give? I couldn't find any help in the Lesson Plans....

Emma x

How did other people approach this question with their children? What prompts, questions, suggestions would you give? I couldn't find any help in the Lesson Plans....

We haven't yet done that exercise, but have done a couple like it. I'd start by saying, "Three numbers added together make 100. We're also told some other things about the numbers, can you help me say what they are?" If needed, I would ask the child to look at the last equation and help me find a value for x that works (there's only one, but I wouldn't say that), using a chart. After finding x, I'd ask why she thought we could only find one number. It's easy-peasy from there.

Edited by nmoira

I'm glad you suggested C-rods for this. I just looked at the question and thought I wouldn't have a clue how to approach that with a child. :001_unsure: It took me a couple of minutes to figure it out for myself!

Emma x

I said to DD " Oh look when we add all these numbers they equal 100. Hmmm what else do we see. When we subtract y and z from x you get 0 so what do we know about these numbers X= Y+Z

So if we add them all together we get 100. So can we figure out what they are?

So we know X is 50 and when we add y and z we get 50. Let's look at the other problems to see what those numbers had to be.

When she got stuck I just gave her hints to unstick her."

I would probably make it a lesson about place value. By having the child drop all the numbers down one place value (100 to 10, 60 to 6, 40 to 4), it would be much easier to solve for my kids, especially usingc-rods. Then we'd work on bumoing back up a place value to get the correct answers.