Menu

Dd shaved her upper lip...now what?

Ugh! Just Ugh! Tonight I noticed dd's upper lip looked a little dark. I was going to talk to her tomorrow about bleaching it, and didn't say anything to her. Her twin told her to shave it, so she did. Aaaarrrrggghhhh!!

Now what? Is she going to have to have permanent laser hair removal? Will it be ok? Anyone have any btdt info or sympathy to share? I can't believe they were so stupid! They're 13. Help me not to freak out here!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

It is no biggie. It will grow back, just like it was before. There is zero truth to the old wives tales that shaving hair will make it grow back thicker/darker etc.

It will be a bit of stuble at first, but as the hair falls out/regrows on the natural grow/fall out schedule of the folicle (nothing to do with the date it was shaved), it will be just like before.

It will be stubbly at first but then feel normal and silky. If she wants to do something with it, she can wait until it gets long enough, then get it waxed.

I used to shave my legs. When I stopped, it didn't take long for them to stop feeling stubbly.

Laura

Yes, take her somewhere to have it waxed when it's grown back a bit.

There is a pain free laser out there now. The lady I go to gives you a price not for the sessions, but for the hair being gone.

My experience is with dark hair. Waxing will make the hair finer and thiner. I did find waxing had the hair growing faster.

I am loving the laser though.

I began bleaching at the age of 11, since I had a very hairy upper lip and felt embarrassed about it, particularly amongst the non-hairy Brits, where I grew up. Later, at the age of 13, since no bleach was to be found here, where we moved at the time, I reluctantly started tweezing. For man years this was great. Loved it. I tweezed every other day. But by the age of 26, I realized that this had been THE biggest beauty mistake ever :glare:. My upper lip hairs were now the same texture as my eyebrow hairs. Tweezing had most definitely changed their texture.

No child should feel embarrassed about hair and stuff and should do what they feel comfortable with. I would not get too legalistic about such stuff. Seriously.

At this age, I would recommend bleaching, waxing, depilatories, etc.

As she gets older, electrolysis is the absolute best. BTDT. Gone forever! :D

ETA: I personally would never, ever recommend shaving the face. Eventually, it will feel stubbly. I'm a former trained and fully licensed beauty therapist, electrologist, etc. Just in case anyone thinks I don't know what I'm talking about. ...

Edited by Negin in Grenada

It is no biggie. It will grow back, just like it was before. There is zero truth to the old wives tales that shaving hair will make it grow back thicker/darker etc.

It will be a bit of stuble at first, but as the hair falls out/regrows on the natural grow/fall out schedule of the folicle (nothing to do with the date it was shaved), it will be just like before.

:iagree: I have a pretty dark girl mustache, too. When I don't have time or anymore wax left, I just shave it off in an emergency situation. It doesn't grow back any darker or thicker.

Just reiterating: shaving does NOT change the texture or color of hair. The one thing it *does* do is cut off the wispy tips of hairs, so when hairs that were currently growing at the time of shaving keep coming in, those *particular* hairs may look (temporarily) coarser than they would have because you'll see the cut-off shaft of the hair rather than the wispy tip. If it's too distressing, you can individually pluck those. When they grow back in, they'll look just the same as before.

Longer term, you can talk about other solutions (plucking, waxing, whatever), but no, her hairs won't be effected by having been cut.

Just reiterating: shaving does NOT change the texture or color of hair. The one thing it *does* do is cut off the wispy tips of hairs, so when hairs that were currently growing at the time of shaving keep coming in, those *particular* hairs may look (temporarily) coarser than they would have because you'll see the cut-off shaft of the hair rather than the wispy tip. If it's too distressing, you can individually pluck those. When they grow back in, they'll look just the same as before.

Longer term, you can talk about other solutions (plucking, waxing, whatever), but no, her hairs won't be effected by having been cut.

:iagree:

I respectfully disagree.

If I have my legs waxed, they feel much softer than when I shave them.

Men's beards and facial hair feels stubbly because they shave.

I don't want my upper lip or chin hairs to feel like a man's. :glare: Yuck.

Shaving makes the hair feel stubbly.

Waxing and most other methods don't.

To each her own.

Shaving does not change the texture or color of the hair.

It's completely fine, it's the easiest and safest way to remove facial hair.

I know I have heard that hshaving doesnt change the hair, but it definitely did with mine. Mine came in much thicker. No question about it.

I would regularly take your dd for waxing. It will make it grow in thinner. If money isnt an issue, laser removal would be good.

It is obvious when a woman shaves. Sorry to say this, but it is one of the ugliest faux pas I have seen in terms of beauty tricks. When the hair starts regrowing, then it looks awful.

Remove facial hair in any way except for shaving.

Exactly. I've kissed a woman's cheeks who shaved. Not nice at all. Felt like kissing a man.

One thing my mother always told me was never shave anywhere you don't want the hair to thicken/darken. She's shaved her toes for years (not plucked, not waxed) and the hair is incredibly coarse there. It was not like that when she started as a teen, but now she feels stuck.

I never have and my hair is soft and fine there.

Plucking can also coarsen/darken, but after one shave or plucking I wouldn't worry. Just introduce her to bleaching in a few weeks when it starts to grow back in. If there are any changes they would be light.

This thread makes me laugh. For those of you who believe that the hair actually CHANGES after being shaved, please explain. How is it possible? All that is done is the hair is cut. Does the hair on your head grow back thicker/darker/quicker when it's cut? Of course not, because you are cutting something that is not living. Can a teenage boy hasten the growth of his facial hair by shaving? Of course not! I have two right now who only grow peach fuzz. They shave it because they don't like it, but it definitely isn't changed. Puberty and age will darken and thicken their facial hair.

I am someone who does not have coarse or dark facial hair. I have blonde, light, fuzz. When it grows back, it's blonde light fuzz. It's not coarse like a man, because it's thin fine hair.

I can't do laser hair removal because it's blonde. You can only get dark hair removed that way.

I don't do waxing because I'm getting older and waxing pulls and tugs on skin in a way that makes me uncomfortable. I have read that waxing can damage skin.

Threading? Well, I do get my eyebrows threaded. I can't even imaging getting my face threaded. Holy smokes.

Anyway, I assure you that my face looks great. I don't have a 5 o'clock shadow. Kissing me won't result in cringing. :laugh:

BTW, I thought I read in here someone saying that plucking can cause hair to grow back darker/coarser/more quickly. That's also not true. Repeated plucking/threading/waxing can actually kill the hair follicule so hair can no longer grow out of it. I worry about getting my daughter's eyebrows threaded (she gets hers done about once a month or so) because I'm unsure of eyebrow style in the future. I'd hate to have her find herself unable to grow a unibrow...if ever they come into vogue. ;) She's taking her chances and going light on the shaping for now.

Edited by Amy1k

It is obvious when a woman shaves. Sorry to say this, but it is one of the ugliest faux pas I have seen in terms of beauty tricks. When the hair starts regrowing, then it looks awful.

Remove facial hair in any way except for shaving.

I've seen women with dark five o'clock shadows.

Ugh! Just Ugh! Tonight I noticed dd's upper lip looked a little dark. I was going to talk to her tomorrow about bleaching it, and didn't say anything to her. Her twin told her to shave it, so she did. Aaaarrrrggghhhh!!

Now what? Is she going to have to have permanent laser hair removal? Will it be ok? Anyone have any btdt info or sympathy to share? I can't believe they were so stupid! They're 13. Help me not to freak out here!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Don't feel bad this will work out okay. I was devastated when my dd cut off her beautiful, very long hair at about the same age. She went in the bathroom late at night and chopped it. I had to even it all out in the morning. It was a good lesson in the end. She got all kinds of advice from college age neighbors not to do these things late at night or in a rash moment. :grouphug:

I'm trying hard not to be offended. ;)

There are all different types of hair. If you are the kind of woman who grows dark, coarse facial hair, of COURSE you will experience some weirdness like 5 o'clock shadow. But it's not CAUSED by the shaving. It's caused by genetics or a medical condition or whatever. You'll still have issues with regrowth if you pluck or thread or wax, it will just take a bit longer. Coarse, dark hair is ideal for lazer hair removal.

As someone of Italian descent, I'm pretty familiar with hair removal. I'm grateful that my hair is, for the most part, blonde. But blonde hair still looks fuzzy on my face and looks even worse after applying makeup, imo.

This thread makes me laugh. For those of you who believe that the hair actually CHANGES after being shaved, please explain. How is it possible? All that is done is the hair is cut. Does the hair on your head grow back thicker/darker/quicker when it's cut? Of course not, because you are cutting something that is not living. Can a teenage boy hasten the growth of his facial hair by shaving? Of course not! I have two right now who only grow peach fuzz. They shave it because they don't like it, but it definitely isn't changed. Puberty and age will darken and thicken their facial hair.

I am someone who does not have coarse or dark facial hair. I have blonde, light, fuzz. When it grows back, it's blonde light fuzz. It's not coarse like a man, because it's thin fine hair.

I can't do lazar hair removal because it's blonde. You can only get dark hair removed that way.

I don't do waxing because I'm getting older and waxing pulls and tugs on skin in a way that makes me uncomfortable. I have read that waxing can damage skin.

Threading? Well, I do get my eyebrows threaded. I can't even imaging getting my face threaded. Holy smokes.

Anyway, I assure you that my face looks great. I don't have a 5 o'clock shadow. Kissing me won't result in cringing. :laugh:

BTW, I thought I read in here someone saying that plucking can cause hair to grow back darker/coarser/more quickly. That's also not true. Repeated plucking/threading/waxing can actually kill the hair follicule so hair can no longer grow out of it. I worry about getting my daughter's eyebrows threaded (she gets hers done about once a month or so) because I'm unsure of eyebrow style in the future. I'd hate to have her find herself unable to grow a unibrow...if ever they come into vogue. ;) She's taking her chances and going light on the shaping for now.

:iagree:

That is from age/hormones/genetics, NOT shaving.

I know I have heard that hshaving doesnt change the hair, but it definitely did with mine. Mine came in much thicker. No question about it.

I would regularly take your dd for waxing. It will make it grow in thinner. If money isnt an issue, laser removal would be good.

This is so true.

For anyone who wonders, touch your husband's beards or your own legs if you shave them. That's all ... ;)

Waxing is great.

Electrolysis is my favorite, but probably when she's older.

Shaving is the worst for the face. Stubbles and five o'clock shadows eventually. Not right away, but further on down the road.

One thing my mother always told me was never shave anywhere you don't want the hair to thicken/darken. She's shaved her toes for years (not plucked, not waxed) and the hair is incredibly coarse there. It was not like that when she started as a teen, but now she feels stuck.

I never have and my hair is soft and fine there.

Plucking can also coarsen/darken, but after one shave or plucking I wouldn't worry. Just introduce her to bleaching in a few weeks when it starts to grow back in. If there are any changes they would be light.

Your mother is very wise.

I have my toes and fingers waxed. So glad I didn't shave them.

Every. single. part. of my body that has been shaved or tweezed has different texture hair than parts that don't get treated that way. Parts that are waxed or have had electrolysis are baby soft and seldom/never grow back.

For those of you who believe that the hair actually CHANGES after being shaved, please explain. How is it possible? All that is done is the hair is cut.

Yes, my hair has definitely CHANGED in the areas that have been shaved and/or tweezed. Not immediately, but eventually, after many years.

If you touch legs or face that are regularly shaved versus those that are regularly waxed or whatever, you can most definitely feel the difference. Maybe you'll be lucky and will never notice a change. If that's the case, you're blessed!

I challenge anyone to show me a man who shaves daily and has baby-soft facial hair after years and years of shaving. No, hair does not change just because of age. If that were the case, all my hairs everywhere would be equally soft. But no, on the contrary, only the parts that have been subjected to razors and tweezers have gotten coarse and stubbly.

You should do what you feel most comfortable with and what you love. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything. It's thin and fine and blonde - what more could a person wish for? :D

BTW, I thought I read in here someone saying that plucking can cause hair to grow back darker/coarser/more quickly. That's also not true.

Nope, again, I disagree. Not so with tweezing. Not my experience. I wish that were true.

This.

DO help her, though (I know you already said you would). I wish my mother would have addressed my fuzziness when I was a child. I spent many years self conscious about it and there was an easy solution to my problem.

BTW, I also shave my arms. :laugh: People are always shocked to hear that. I've been doing it for probably 15 years. The hair still grows back blonde and just as thick as always. My arms were SO embarrassing to me as a teenager. I wish I would have known that shaving them was really no big deal.

That is from age/hormones/genetics, NOT shaving.

I disagree. If it were age/hormones/genetics, then why do only the areas that have been shaved and tweezed feel and look so different than those that have not - that have been waxed or gone through electrolysis? Different methods, different results.

Shaving = stubble and coarser hair

Tweezing = ditto

Depilatories = not as bad, but a giant pain and messy

Waxing = softer and great when done professionally :)

Electrolysis = the absolute best and PERMANENT!!! :D - done by a qualified professional, preferably using the blend method.

Laser = not for me! But to each her own

I am a qualified and trained esthetician (in my previous life) and have tons of personal experience with all of these, except for laser. But again, to each her own.

If anyone's interested, I have:

My upper lips - electrolysis (pretty much finished!)

Brows - waxed and trimmed

Legs - shave them

Underarms, Forearms, Fingers, Toes - waxed

That's it. That's what I have found works for me.

.....................BTW, I thought I read in here someone saying that plucking can cause hair to grow back darker/coarser/more quickly. That's also not true. Repeated plucking/threading/waxing can actually kill the hair follicle so hair can no longer grow out of it. I worry about getting my daughter's eyebrows threaded (she gets hers done about once a month or so) because I'm unsure of eyebrow style in the future. I'd hate to have her find herself unable to grow a unibrow...if ever they come into vogue. ;) She's taking her chances and going light on the shaping for now.

I did some research about this a year or so ago. It was internet research lol and I didn't look for medical research to back it up. What I understand is that when a person plucks, waxes, or threads hairs they are all ripped out by the roots. Over time this can destroy the follicle and hair will stop growing in that area. This is why you often see women with no eyebrows. They plucked for so many years, that they no longer have hair follicles in those areas. But, I have heard, that this can trigger the body to grow more hair. Since the old follicles are dead, the new hair can be beside the old follicle. This is why I have heard, to not pluck chin hairs if a woman has only one or two. It can trigger the body to create more hair follicles in that area. In that case it is better to shave, because that doesn't affect new follicles forming.

In the example you gave of your dd, unfortunately we don't get to dictate what follicles grow and which do not. I do agree with keeping a light hand on her eyebrow work for now or she could look like this permanently. :001_huh:

So, if my husband wants to revive his thinning hair, he should shave it?

I'm sorry, but science just doesn't support any of that. It may be something that you have observed, but there's nothing to back it up except for old wives tales. Hair that grows back may appear darker because it has not been lightened by the sun or, over time, it might darken due to age (blondes often darken to brunettes regardless of hair shaving).

As you age, your body will start to produce hair in all sorts of unusual places, regardless of hair removal in the past, due to hormone changes. That's why those of us with certain issues (PCOS for me) spend a lot of time worrying about and researching hair-removal.

As you age, your body will start to produce hair in all sorts of unusual places, regardless of hair removal in the past, due to hormone changes. That's why those of us with certain issues (PCOS for me) spend a lot of time worrying about and researching hair-removal.

:iagree: Older ladies don't have dark/coarse chin hair because of plucking/shaving (my Grandma never plucked or shaved), it's just something that happens as we age.

I totally shave my lip. Actually I shave my arms too! Shaving does not change hair. It cuts of the softer tip but the hair doesn't change. Waxing or plucking DOES change hair. The hair will eventually grow back softer it sometimes stop growing.

Edited by reign

I respectfully disagree.

If I have my legs waxed, they feel much softer than when I shave them.

Men's beards and facial hair feels stubbly because they shave.

I don't want my upper lip or chin hairs to feel like a man's. :glare: Yuck.

Shaving makes the hair feel stubbly.

Waxing and most other methods don't.

To each her own.

We're talking about different things. Waxing and plucking work by pulling hairs out at the roots. That's ideal, certainly. And yes, hairs that are cut mid-shaft *will* appear thicker and pricklier than hairs that are left alone (with the sort wisp at the end). BUT once those hairs that have been sliced in half at the thick part cycle through (finish growing and fall out, to be replaced by new hairs), the new hairs grow in no differently than they had come in originally.

Shaving will leave a *temporary* stubbly feeling. I would recommend plucking those hairs as soon as they grow enough to be grasped with a tweezer (since you can't wax at that point).

But it won't permanently change the texture of the hairs. Just those *particular* hairs that were cut, until the growth cycle is over.

Just reiterating: shaving does NOT change the texture or color of hair. .

Sorry, disagree.

The hair on my upper legs is blonde, so of course my mom tried to convince me never to shave it. As a teen, I HAD TO! I couldn't stand NOT trying it! Well, my hair that used to lay nice and flat and all in the same direction, after about 3-4 times shaving, now grew in all different direction and stood up all crazy. After seeing what it had done, I stopped shaving (after 3 -4 times only), but it still stands up all crazy instead of laying flat. It did not get darker though.

My sister - has dark hair, started shaving her upper lip. Tried to go back to bleaching, but hair is all wiry now and never changed back to the way it was. That was after lots of shaving though, not just once. OP, once may be fine.

I think some of the misconceptions about hair may be because of the time frame in which people often experiment with hair removal. Teenagers remove hair and it comes back differently...well, maybe it's NOT the hair removal, but the age at which they removed it and the hormone changes going on at that time.

If it was so easy to change hair by cutting it, people would be a lot more hesitant to cut the hair on their heads. (that sentence isn't correct, I think ;) )