Menu

Novels your dd couldn't put down..

creekmom

My dd (10) was in tears tonight bc she finished her book and it was the last in the series. She's been in her room for 2 days -only coming out for meals- she's been so engrossed in this series!! The books are by Jessica Day George, starting with Dragon Slippers. http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Slippers-Jessica-Day-George/dp/1599902753/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329706965&sr=1-1 JDG has a new book I just bought for our next read aloud called Tuesdays at the Castle. I'm searching for the next novel for dd to fall in love with.... any suggestions?

Has she read Anne of Green Gables?

If she likes historical novels Ann Rinaldi writes great ones for young people.

the Julie of the Wolves series is good by Jean Craighead George.

Karen Cushman wrote The Midwife's Apprentice, Catherine Called Birdy, and The Ballad of Lucy Whipple.

James Herriot books are wonderful. I started reading those at age 10.

Harry Potter

Deltora Quest

I will have to check out those you mention as my DD is in need of something new too :)

Harry Potter was the first series she couldn't put down. She loved it so much, it was hard to get her to read anything else- nothing compared!

Another series she couldn't put down - The Penderwicks. The Glass Cage: The Adventures of Princess Isabella was excellent also! One book I'm going to pick up tomorrow at the library is The Tail of Emily Windsnap. (about a girl who didn't realize she was a mermaid). It got good reviews on Amazon- we'll see!

Mine loved The Mysterious Benedict Society, the Ink (heart, spell, etc) series by Cornelia Funke, the first 4 Harry Potter books, and for candy, the Charlie Bone books (easy read, HarryP knock-offs). She liked the Somebodies series ok, and is getting into Susan Cooper's books (read the first, has yet to pick up the next one). She sort of liked the Elizabeth Enright series (The Saturdays, etc.).

She also likes The Sisters Grimm. They are very quick reads, but hilarious.

Harry Potter was the first series she couldn't put down. She loved it so much, it was hard to get her to read anything else- nothing compared!

Another series she couldn't put down - The Penderwicks. The Glass Cage: The Adventures of Princess Isabella was excellent also! One book I'm going to pick up tomorrow at the library is The Tail of Emily Windsnap. (about a girl who didn't realize she was a mermaid). It got good reviews on Amazon- we'll see!

Thank you for sharing those :). We are heading to the library on Wednesday to see what we can pick up.

My 12yo is currently reading The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan. She has already read the Percy Jackson series and the first two novels from his second series. She is mad she has to wait for the next to be published. Other books she has liked are:Anne of Green Gables, Emily of New Moon both by L. M. Montgomery. Several books by Louisa May Alcott.

Dd17 shared one of her favorite book series with her sister last year - The Books of Bayern series

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

River Secrets by Shannon Hale

Forest Born by Shannon Hale

They loved them all! And don't be put off by the "newer" book covers. They are lovely books.

Shannon Hale also wrote The Princess Academy, another favorite.

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine is not a series by a cute book.

I believe they also enjoyed The Tales of the Frog Princess series by E.D. Baker, but nowhere near the way they enjoyed the Shannon Hale books.

Oh, I thought of one more! The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede, awesome books.

Dealing with Dragons

Searching for Dragons

Calling on Dragons

Talking to Dragons

My 10yo dd is obsessed with the Ranger's Apprentice series.

My 11 yo just finished the entire series. It's really the first series of prose books that has had her excited enough to read on her own. She reads constantly, but it's always manga by choice.

Have you tried Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series? It's a young adult, but the fourth book does get pretty dark. He's a wonderful author. It's pretty much a "read with Dad" series for her because they both love Pratchett so much. She also enjoyed the Rick Riordan Percy Jackson series and his Kane Chronicles.

My dd8 (almost 9) is a voracious reader. She loves mysteries. Although you may want to preview it since it's written for a bit older crowd and gets intense, she LOVES The Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch.

For milder, very wholesome series:

We all fell in love with the Melendy children in Elizabeth Enright's books.

E. Nesbit's series with The Five Children and It and The Phoenix and the Carpet

The Happy Hollisters mystery series is very good.

There are TONS of Boxcar mystery series books. We like the original ones best.

All the American Girl supplemental mystery books.

My friend absolutely loves for girls:

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons is book 1

Dragon Slippers

A Wrinkle in Time

Percy Jackson series

It looks like Patricia Wrede's series might be right up your daughter's alley http://www.amazon.com/Enchanted-Forest-Chronicles-Dealing-Searching/dp/0152050523/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329826174&sr=8-2 --- Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons and Talking to Dragons. My daughter cried when she finished these books and found there were no more. She is also really enjoying the Fablehaven series.

Lisa

• 3 months later...

The Warriors is a great series for girls that hate to end a series - sometimes I think they're is an infinite number of them, and the library has them. When my dd was going through them, she'd reserve 3 or 4 at time.

She also enjoyed:

The Ranger's Apprentice.

everything by LM Montgomery

HP

The Hunger Games - controversial to let a kid her age read them, but she loved them and read them twice through.

The Giver

Hatchet and the rest of the series

The InkHeart trilogy

Fablehaven

That set by Rick Riordan about Egyptian mythology - I don't remember it's name, but she devoured it