Menu

Toddler running quest

roanna

I don't really know where to look for info on this so once again I am asking for advice from you all...

Do you have a child that was really physical as a toddler? I am asking because my 25 month old daughter will not stop running. We have to jog to keep up with her and she can go for an hour or so.

She was climbing ladders anywhere she could find at a young age and is very balanced and adept but my husband and I are at a loss for how much she runs. We honesty were going to find a young kids running group but 8 is the youngest around here.

If you had a child like this how do you help the child get out their need for exertion? We live in an apartment at the moment. she needs a TON of running but how much is too much?

My oldest ds was like that as a toddler. I would cringe when nursing his brother because he'd literally swing on the curtains, put himself in time-out, then run off to get into something else. I had to pick him off the top of the kitchen table where he'd climb nearly any chance he got. Going to a home warehouse store was completely stressful (the memories give me hives) because he'd run and climb anything he could find if I let him out of the cart for a second.

He wasn't being mean and I don't think he meant to be naughty. He just had a ton of energy. It took time and consistency for me to teach him when and where it was appropriate to discharge all that energy. I had the boys play outside as much as possible, even on cold days. We also made our basement like a big play area with ball pit and room to ride little bikes or run. Our neighbor often commented that her child would come home exhausted after a day spent with us while mine were still going strong.

All that energy got put to good use...my oldest is now very athletic.

Small, indoor trampoline? (the kind used for excercising) A child can burn off a lot of energy while staying in one spot.

My younger has always been quite energetic...climbing furniture before he could walk (and he walked before first bday). We're in an apartment as well and I feel for you. Lately, since our weather has been mild, I'm trying to take trips to parks and walking trails a few times a week for as long as I can manage to be there. I couldn't believe how far my youngest walked (he runs, actually; we walk) with us the other day. I had his stroller with me in case he needed it, but I think he would have lasted longer than any of us.

Edited by Amie

Small, indoor trampoline? (the kind used for excercising) A child can burn off a lot of energy while staying in one spot.

:iagree:We bought one at 10:00 pm one night last month because it was a cold windy day so we didn't play outside and he would.not.sleep! We have him jump for about 15-20 minutes before bed. We make a game of it by throwing a ball or a stuffed animal back and forth and he thinks it is hilarious.

I feel your pain! My DS (28 mo.) does best when he's gotten at least 2 hours of outdoor play. If he hasn't gotten enough, we sometimes take him for an evening walk--it takes 1.5 to 2 miles to tire him out.

We play at the park for 2 hours 3 days a week. He does 45 min. of gymnastics class once a week and 1.5 hours of "open gym" every other week.

We have a removable chin-up bar that I hang in his bedroom doorway at his height so he can hang, swing, etc. to burn energy. We have a mini-slide that he still uses quite a bit though it seems so small. He loves to slide and then run back and slide again repeatedly.

I doubt there is a such a thing as too much running as long as she's the one regulating it!

It's been rainy as it usually is in OR but there have been a few clear days now. I am going to force myself to take her out 1 or twice a day and run.

I am selective about who can watch her even among friends because she is so active you cannot sit at all. We are assuming she will athletic and as soon as we can will put her into something.

Andyjoy, thanks for letting me see what you do, that helps. Because our oldest is the opposite, it's new territory for me. We also are quite poor right now since my husband is in seminary or else I would shell out lots of money to exhaust her in classes!

We did have one of those trampolines but they didn't use it much so I gave it away.

Edited by roanna

It's been rainy as it usually is in OR but there have been a few clear days now. I am going to force myself to take her out 1 or twice a day and run.

I am selective about who can watch her even among friends because she is so active you cannot sit at all. We are assuming she will athletic and as soon as we can will put her into something.

Andyjoy, thanks for letting me see what you do, that helps. Because our oldest is the opposite, it's new territory for me. We also are quite poor right now since my husband is in seminary or else I would shell out lots of money to exhaust her in classes!

We did have one of those trampolines but they didn't use it much so I gave it away.

Can you get to outdoorsy places easily while it's raining? esp. if you have rain gear for them. If you don't, I've had good luck with ponchos made out of garbage bags: cut a hole in one of the corners that has two sealed edges, and shorten the whole thing in a semi-circle around it. Start small on the head-hole ;). Button refused to wear raincoats but loved his poncho. You can manage to make the head-hole into a face-hole if you like, and the child is willing (a toddler might not be!) and then you have a sort of hat included; if they won't do that of course you can use umbrellas or hats if you have them, or if it's not too chilly it may not matter if the heads get wet.

We now visit playgrounds when it's raining, and it keeps them busy, and we have the place to ourselves. They don't use the equipment much in the rain but they Have Adventures.

Several people actually complimented Button on his poncho. !!!

we do not have a hard-core runner, though, so this may not apply. I thought Bot-bot was super wiggly 'till I read your post ...

Edited by serendipitous journey

Serendipitous, I like your idea of ponchos ,and cheap , but I have a huge problem! My oldest has issues with wind and getting wet. I've read things about sensory issues and he seems to have them..tags , seams etc...so there is no way he would go out like that with a bag on although I am laughing now at just approaching him with the bag explaining it. :lol:

This is just for fun, ...my husband was with her a few weeks ago in the grocery store and I had my son in line while we were paying and my husband runs up to me and says " I can't find her!". He had looked down at a paper cup of samples of nuts and then he looked up and she vanished from the aisle. Other women in line were like " oh is that the little girl who was running, I saw her a while back". We did get her safe and sound but it was scary, hence the reason why I'm careful about who watches her (or is willing to run with her)

Last year my friend watched her while we went on a date and she confessed that she felt like a bad sitter because she turned around for just a few seconds and then back and my daughter was on top of her dining room table.

Edited by roanna

This is just for fun, ...my husband was with her a few weeks ago in the grocery store and I had my son in line while we were paying and my husband runs up to me and says " I can't find her!". He had looked down at a paper cup of samples of nuts and then he looked up and she vanished from the aisle. Other women in line were like " oh is that the little girl who was running, I saw her a while back". We did get her safe and sound but it was scary, hence the reason why I'm careful about who watches her (or is willing to run with her)

Last year my friend watched her while we went on a date and she confessed that she felt like a bad sitter because she turned around for just a few seconds and then back and my daughter was on top of her dining room table.

I think I need to "friend" you so we can commiserate/compare notes over the years:lol:. I once went to a dentist appointment and left DS at the park w/a good friend and her very mellow son (who is 4 mo. older than DS). When I came back an hour later, my friend said, "He just doesn't stop, does he? And he is comfortable being really far away!" Apparently she spent that hour chasing him everywhere while her son played happily in a 20 ft diameter circle.

Last week at the park he set his tee-ball set on top of a picnic table and hit a ball off the tee before I stopped him. He also crawled worm-style, dragging himself along on a 4 ft. high wall (usually he walks on it). He's already the kid at the park that the other kids get bad ideas from, but he's 2 and they're 4! ACK!

I had another idea for you--a soccer ball! This has been a huge help with getting DS to run where I want him to instead of just everywhere. He can dribble it quite proficiently now. It makes it more fun for me to run too, as we can take it back and forth from each other or I can dribble my own ball. I don't really enjoy running just to run.

Also, we play "fetch." Just like it sounds--I throw something, he brings it back. Sometimes I bring multiple items to alternate (frisbee, football, kickball, whiffle ball) to make it more interesting. Sometimes I throw 2 items and then tell him which one to get.

T-ball is great too. He's been enjoying this set for months but has recently become obsessed. After he hits 3-5 balls, we race to see who can pick up the most. He always wins :tongue_smilie:. Sometimes I set up bases for him to run too. Once again, he's running, but I have some control over where!

I have it easier since I only have one child, plus we have great weather this time of year (60 degrees and sunny today!).

Does your church have a gym or multipurpose room you could use sometimes? When I visited my parents over Christmas, we took him to their multipurpose room every day so he could run, scooter, trike, shoot hoops, etc. to his heart's content. My nieces ride their bikes in their church's gym in Alaska.

Thats a good idea. I think I will invest in those 2 things and take them to the park. I got birthday money recently so it will make my life better even though it's not for me :)

I just remembered this story... A few months ago I was in the kitchen and it faces out open to the rest of our apt so it's not like she was hiding but she was quiet and I just didn't notice that she had climbed half way up the hall closet that has wire shelving trying to get a toy. I had her reinact it when my husband got home and his jaw dropped.

She also knows how to use the handicapped buttons at the library to open the 3 sets of doors so within 10 seconds she could be in the children's book room and out to the parking lot literally. I'm not a believer in leashes but she is a GREAT candidate for it.

I really like those 2 ideas and they are not really expensive so thank you!

Edited by roanna

My oldest is really, really energetic like that, though she is much better at controlling it now that she is almost three. I used to think that kid leashes were so weird, until I finally gave in and got one when I was eight months pregnant and couldn't catch her. Now I've got one for each kid and I love them.

It was a lot easier to handle when we lived with my parents in San Diego, because we would go out to play with the dogs in their big backyard two or three times a day--plus their house is big enough with long hallways so she could do some good running inside without running into things. When we moved to Oregon she would run around and around our little living room, running into walls and furniture and leaping off of things. That's when I signed her up for gymnastics, and it has been wonderful. After a month, the coach moved her to the class that meets for an hour two times a week, and ever since then her energy levels are manageable with normal measures like letting her jump on my bed.

The other thing that I have found to help is to do something with her that engages her mind. That could be anything from asking her to count out the cutlery to set the table, to doing some pages from her preschool math book, to practicing letter writing, to asking her to find matching sock pairs and teaching her how to turn the tops inside out to hold them together.

Serendipitous, I like your idea of ponchos ,and cheap , but I have a huge problem! My oldest has issues with wind and getting wet. I've read things about sensory issues and he seems to have them..tags , seams etc...so there is no way he would go out like that with a bag on although I am laughing now at just approaching him with the bag explaining it. :lol:

well, then, that's that!!

Good news!

I called a YMCA that is about 15 min away and I explained my situation and they are going to call me back today or tomorrow to see which classes they might be able to put her in and at a reduced rate since we're poor at the moment.

My husband is done with grad school in May and I am sooo excited!

I am crossing my finger we get her in some neat classes!

Swimming!

For one winter, I had my toddler in a morning swim class. I could just see the energy evaporate off of him. It made that afternoon so much more manageable.

Hang in there. At about age 4, my son transitioned the reckless physical energy into more mental avenues. I am still exhausted all of the time, but at least he is physically safer if he is writing plays and drawing 100 pictures a day.

Sooo, we did hear back from the Y but weren't really sure about going that route. We decided to see how much of a workout she really needed. This afternoon I took her to a local park and she played on the equipment and then found the walking trail she ran non stop for about 3/4 of a mile with hills.

Then after dinner we decided to see if she wanted more so we took her on a trail near us that is paved, the trails says its 1.25 miles, shie ran the whole thing. Then we get home in the car and she says before we get out "mom, I want to do more running". My husband and i couldn't believe it. So out of the car I go withi her. My 5 year old has more than given up. So it's her and i jogging the street. I am guessing she did another 1/2 mile. It was getting dark so I forced her to go in but she was upset.

You know it actully crossed my mind as a joke because we do live in an apartment that has a good gym. But I'm sure someone would call DHS on me :)

I am curious to see how she is personality/temperament wise with doing more of what she loves. I wonder if she needs some sort of kid running shoes? Is that a silly question?

If you can afford a toddler gymnastics class, that would probably be good for her. Some might be willing to do a sliding scale, or let her come to open gym time. My DD's gym has a morning gym time several days a week where parents can bring toddlers/preschoolers and let them explore the equipment with the parent supervising, for a small amount of money. I miss it now that my DD is too old (we did stretch it until she was actually 6, since it was age 5 and under, but at 7, she's just plain too OBVIOUSLY not a preschooler anymore :) ).

My littlest has always been ON THE GO.

However, we've lived on land since she was a toddler, so she has always had a large fenced yard with a huge swing set for relatively unlimited exercise.

If we didn't have access to unlimited outdoor play, I think I'd have had to have taken her to some indoor jumpy gym place for many hours a week and/or signed her up for loads of gymnastics/dance/iceskating/swimming/etc classes. And, gotten some kind of indoor trampoline kind of thing.

Since we bought a treadmill when she was 8, she is the kid who runs the most. She could run for hours, but I've made a rule that she can't run more than 6 miles at a time. When she's out of running-time, she'll still walk on it, uphill, for many more minutes.

She also weighs almost nothing and hardly sleeps. All muscle. All go.

Someday, she'll probably be an elite marathoner. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Must haves:

Mini trampoline or for us I use a crib mattress on the ground and he jumps on it.

Bring in a mini slide set from little tykes into your living room. Indoor climbing structure (you can put the crib mattress next to it)

A ball pit

I set up a pulley set above the little tykes slide into the ceiling. I tied a rope to the end of a basket and the kids pulled the basket up and down -lots of stuff animals getting rides.

Indoor swings to give stuff animals swings.

Ice chest with wheels-loves to pull things around the house (like siblings)