Menu

Trigger: Shooting Stray Cats

Someone just informed me he plans to shoot a stray cat on someone else's property (he's a renter there). The landowner sees no problem with this.

I asked the renter not to do it because by leaving out bird food and attracting birds, he is also attracting bird predators. I also informed him it's illegal, but he blew me off.

I despise stray cats, but I threw up. I don't usually have a sensitive stomach at all, and I'm not pregnant.

Is this a normal and acceptable thing?

I would be livid, and would likely call animal control and/or the police if I saw someone shooting animals. If he doesn't want stray cats in the yard he can get free live animal traps from animal control and they will come pick them up when the animal is trapped. I also would be doing all I could to make sure that renter got the boot. I will not live next to someone who is that free with their gun. especially when I have kids living here.

He hasn't done it yet, as far as I know. He told me he intends to do it.

He says he tried a safe trap, and it didn't work.

I would trap it myself but live three hours away.

I am 100% certain the landowner will not make the person leave, although that is my very strong wish.

Also, I want to clarify that I don't despise stray cats--I despise the issue of stray cats. Sorry--I'm pretty upset about this.

My dhs grandfather used to do this till the wrong (or right?) person found out and he was charged with a felony for cruelty to a domesticated animal. You can do that to wild animals and even farm animals as euthanasia but cats are domesticated. Thats a felony.

And how does he even know for certain it is a straight cat?

A neighbor down the road shot my much loved pet cat when I was a teen. We got him when I was just five years old. He slept on my pillow curled up around my head every night. When I found out who had done it, I wanted to rip him to shreds but my friends wouldn't let me.

And how does he even know for certain it is a straight cat?

A neighbor down the road shot my much loved pet cat when I was a teen. We got him when I was just five years old. He slept on my pillow curled up around my head every night. When I found out who had done it, I wanted to rip him to shreds but my friends wouldn't let me.

I'm sorry about your cat. That is awful!

Renter most likely doesn't care if it's stray or not. He believes he I entitled to kill innocent animals. He eats to feed the birds; therefore, anything that interferes with his wish must be dealt with.

Entitlement is definitely not a one-generation issue.

I do not know about cats, but I know most farmers will shoot a stray dog without any remorse and they are absolutely correct in their course of action.

If it is a rural area and the renter has chickens or birds then I certainly understand his action. A feral cat is NOT a nice animal.

I do not know about cats, but I know most farmers will shoot a stray dog without any remorse and they are absolutely correct in their course of action.

If it is a rural area and the renter has chickens or birds then I certainly understand his action. A feral cat is NOT a nice animal.

:iagree:Doesn't sound like livestock is an issue in this situation, though.

S/O - but a funny story.

We lived in the suburbs when I was a kid. One of our cats was a hunter and are neighbor loved birds... bad combination.

(Note the neighborhood I am talking about everyone got along just fine, and were friends)

The elderly man would sit outside on his back patio with a water-gun just waiting for our cat to show up. Oh he got a kick out of it and loved the "spot" of shooting our cat.

No livestock. Just a person angry about the unintended food chain they invited onto the property.

It is not his fault that there are feral cats, though. I don't blame him and think that as long as no humans are endangered, he will be performing a public service. Feral cats, by and large, cannot be tamed. It is not as if they have futures as pampered house pets. At least the ones he shoots will stop reproducing.

Terri

Feral cats are such a huge problem that many people shoot them to try to reduce the population.

Yes, and I understand and sympathize with the desire to try to fix a problem.

I have influence on decisions made about this property, so I'm arguing in favor of abiding by the law and of my personal desire to protect what I feel is an innocent animal.

Living in the country, I have dealt with my share of folks with that mentality. Generally, when I know about it, I try to intervene and trap the cat so I can find a home for it, or get it spayed/neutered and let it go near my own home. You could try calling the humane society and see if they will take the cat if you are able to trap it or catch it. If it is feral and will not come to people, they likely won't. :( But, if it is friendly and will come to you, it has a good chance of getting adopted from a shelter.

I just want to take this opportunity to point out that beloved house pets should not be allowed to wander the neighborhood. I go around and around with my MIL because she views stray cats as pests the same as mice but she lets her own cat wander all night.

Unfortunately, I think it's pretty common. My Dad works at a large warehouse and part of his job is critter control. He occasionally catches cats in live traps and has tried to take them to Animal Control. They always give him a hard time and say they won't take them until my Dad tells them they either take the cats or he'll have to shoot them. They always take them, much to Dad's relief.