Menu

2nd son questions about next year

Here are the questions about my 2nd son. First son listens to me very well, but has reached those higher maths and science classes I can't teach. This son does not respond to me nearly as well. He does better for other people. He is thriving in cc and doing ok in AP Gov this year. He will probably have a B and a 3 or 4 on the exam is what I am thinking.

For my other son who will be a 10th grader next year and has NO idea what he wants to do. He would be an incredibly good teacher, but he says he won’t do that because he wants to make a decent living.. He LOVES history and literature. He does not particularly enjoy writing, but he is decent at it. I would put him in freshman English with his brother, but I have a friend whose son will also be a 10th grader and she doesn’t think he is ready ( he’s a math/science guy) and wants them to be together in the class. I would also like them to be together. She wants him to take speech. World Geography, Theater Appreciation, etc might be the other option..

Apologia Chemistry- have all the supplies and such...might do labs at the co-op if that fits. If so, it is 50 bucks or less.

Spanish 3 and 4 at cc $180

Speech at cc $90

World Geography at CC $90

Algebra II- I would REALLY like for him to take this with Jann TX, but it will depend on when his cc classes are. Even if he does it with me, he will get a tutor- $240

History and English- Tapestry of Grace Year 1 with me. However, his writing is almost as good as I can make it. I was seriously considering having him do Laurel Tree high school composition, but that is $580 dollars. Another option is a lady that has a history/literature classical co-op. His friend that he is taking classes with is in this. She has high standards and it would be great for him to do it with someone else.. Only one problem. I believe they are going to do modern history next year. He did rhetoric level TOG for that in 8th grade. He really needs Ancients. So I’m thinking of sticking with TOG, but I have toyed with AP US History as well. Sigh..

Any thoughts.. His classes are looking to be possibly 1,500.... Just trying to decide...

Here are the questions about my 2nd son. First son listens to me very well, but has reached those higher maths and science classes I can't teach. This son does not respond to me nearly as well. He does better for other people. He is thriving in cc and doing ok in AP Gov this year. He will probably have a B and a 3 or 4 on the exam is what I am thinking.

For my other son who will be a 10th grader next year and has NO idea what he wants to do. He would be an incredibly good teacher, but he says he won’t do that because he wants to make a decent living.. He LOVES history and literature. He does not particularly enjoy writing, but he is decent at it. I would put him in freshman English with his brother, but I have a friend whose son will also be a 10th grader and she doesn’t think he is ready ( he’s a math/science guy) and wants them to be together in the class. I would also like them to be together. She wants him to take speech. World Geography, Theater Appreciation, etc might be the other option..

Apologia Chemistry- have all the supplies and such...might do labs at the co-op if that fits. If so, it is 50 bucks or less.

Spanish 3 and 4 at cc $180

Speech at cc $90

World Geography at CC $90

Algebra II- I would REALLY like for him to take this with Jann TX, but it will depend on when his cc classes are. Even if he does it with me, he will get a tutor- $240

History and English- Tapestry of Grace Year 1 with me. However, his writing is almost as good as I can make it. I was seriously considering having him do Laurel Tree high school composition, but that is $580 dollars. Another option is a lady that has a history/literature classical co-op. His friend that he is taking classes with is in this. She has high standards and it would be great for him to do it with someone else.. Only one problem. I believe they are going to do modern history next year. He did rhetoric level TOG for that in 8th grade. He really needs Ancients. So I’m thinking of sticking with TOG, but I have toyed with AP US History as well. Sigh..

Any thoughts.. His classes are looking to be possibly 1,500.... Just trying to decide...

Obviously, you know your son best, but here are some thoughts: It looks somewhat heavy to me simply because he'd be earning more than one credit in some subjects. If you do TOG and cc social studies and English courses, you have double the credits in those areas.

You said he is thriving in cc. That seems like an important point. One semester at cc is equal to one high school credit, so he'd really only need one cc English class and one cc social studies class to fulfill his yearly credits in those areas for high school. At our local Catholic high school, 10th graders spend one semester on a speech class and that is their entire English credit for that semester--only half a credit, though, as opposed to the cc speech class that would equal one high school credit, right? I wouldn't personally be comfortable with only a speech credit for English for a 10th grader's entire year, so I kind of like the idea of speech one semester followed by Theatre Appreciation the next. World Geography would also count as a full high school credit, so I'd be wary of adding in more social studies/history, especially while he's taking the class.

What does your son want to do? I'd consider that and go from there.:001_smile:

As for cost, it seems reasonable to me.

Edited by Violet