Menu

Hot Tub Owners- Natural alternatives to chlorine/bromine?

DH is in the final stages of rehabilitating the hot tub here in our new house....we've had a hot tub before and just used the traditional chlorine/bromine chemicals to balance the tub.

However, we are interested in trying other alternatives to stabilize the water in the hot tub without the use of harsh chemicals.

Any suggestions?

We use this system for our pool, but they also have a version for hot tubs:

http://www.ecosmarte.com/

It's a copper ion sanitation system, so doesn't use any chlorine whatsoever. Copper ions are completely safe to your body and the environment, and the system is very easy to maintain once you get it going right--it took us a season to get it figured out, but we had the added complications that our pool had not been well taken care of by the previous owners, and we had no prior experience of owning a pool.

We're very happy with the system--there's no icky chemical smell, the water stays crystal clear, we don't have to work hard to keep it nice, and it's so much safer and more comfortable.

ETA: If you do end up using EcoSmarte, would you PM me and let me give you my contact info so you can tell them I referred you? They have a referral program to get free replacement copper bars when a current customer refers a new customer. I don't know if it works with the hot tub system, but it's worth a try. :) Thanks!

Edited by By Grace

We use this system for our pool, but they also have a version for hot tubs:

http://www.ecosmarte.com/

It's a copper ion sanitation system, so doesn't use any chlorine whatsoever. Copper ions are completely safe to your body and the environment, and the system is very easy to maintain once you get it going right--it took us a season to get it figured out, but we had the added complications that our pool had not been well taken care of by the previous owners, and we had no prior experience of owning a pool.

We're very happy with the system--there's no icky chemical smell, the water stays crystal clear, we don't have to work hard to keep it nice, and it's so much safer and more comfortable.

That's fascinating! I'm terribly allergic to chlorine (I develop and itchy rash, runny nose, and, if I'm exposed to long, hives) so most swimming pools and hot tubs are off limits to me. Even the level of chlorination in some tap water is problematic. I'm glad to know there are alternatives out there--now if only they would become more common!

--Sarah

• 2 years later...

Look into hydrogen peroxide. It's supposed to be very effective, and the byproduct is oxygen. Our hot tub manual specifically says not to use it because prolonged use can cause the casings on the lights to crack, so I only used it as a once-off thing (I needed it chemical-free for a birth tub). But it could work for a differently made hot tub.