Menu

How to make fake pile of dirt (PROP for grave digging scene)

My dd is in Tom Sawyer and I am part of props again. We need to make a fake pile of dirt that can be used for a dozen shows. Obviously it needs to look like a pile of dirt without actually being a messy pile of dirt :tongue_smilie:

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Put plastic on the stage, if need be, and use mulch. Dry mulch can be swept up fairly easily.

Wood chips or wood shavings may also work.

Anything, that I can think of, that you make will be messy or will be a single piece that will not be able to be shoveled.

Alas, poor Yorick....he is covered in mulch?

Edited by pqr

Brown craft paper over chicken wire, then cover with spray adhesive and dust with peat moss. Shake off excess peat moss; hopefully enough will stick to make the pile look realistic!

Can you tell we have been playing with glitter here? :D

Wait! Maybe you could adhere the peat moss on the paper before crumpling it over a chicken wire frame.... might be easier....

Do you know anyone who paints? They could make it realistic from a distance and you won't have to cart around some crumbling mass of glue and mulch. It seems like some sort of muti-toned textured look wouldn't be THAT hard for artistically inclined folks. In your position I'd post the question on Facebook and bribe the volunteer with tea and cake.