Menu

Wanted: A list of Curriculums that use SOTW as a possible Spine.

SonshineLearner

You may already know MFW uses SOTW 2, and does not use 1, I am assuming it is because some people don't like that Creation from a Biblical perspective is taught and possibly too that very young children need less intense history lessons.

Sonlight uses some SOTW and CHOW as well as Joy Hakim's American History set.

Tapestry of Grace uses SOTW in some levels ( depending on the age and stage of the child) Year 2 uses SOTW 2

Easy Classical also uses SOTW as the main spine with teacher guides from K-6th grade. ( 4th grade uses SOTW 2)

I am selling my Easy Classical 4th grade guide because it will be simpler to use TOG for all of my children. If I only had children up to 4th-5th grade I would use it. But I finally decided against the Omnibus 2 and chose TOG 2 to try for a while. I am using Easy Classical K and it does not use any history for that age.

These are all of the ones I know of and I am just starting TOG 2 right now, for 7 children ( 5 school age), we won't be using SOTW 2 this year since I don't have any children in that stage it is called for. You could use it for older children I assume. It depends on your preference.:001_smile:

I hope this helps some.

You may already know MFW uses SOTW 2, and does not use 1, I am assuming it is because some people don't like that Creation from a Biblical perspective is taught and possibly too that very young children need less intense history lessons.

don't know if this would help or not...but

MFW says this on the reasons why vol2-4 but not 1

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=365

postby Marie » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:29 am

More from Marie....

I was thinking about this question again last night while I was laying in bed. (Isn't that a great time of quiet for thinking?)

I realized that the question really is:

Why do we use the Bible as the main resource book vs. Story of the World Volume 1 in Creation to the Greeks? Keep in mind that Creation to the Greeks is a study of ancient history.

1. Why not use the most accurate, most ancient "original document" available? That is the Bible.

2. As a Christian and a parent, I ask myself, what would God want my kids to know about the ancient history period? He has made it very clear to us....he gave us a great history book that is full of action, intrigue, motives both good and evil, and even His interpretaiton of events and people. If we lay a foundation so that our kids can see God at work in history, then we can go on and study other years of history from a correct perspective.

3. From a life-changing point of view, I want my kids to be immersed in the life-changing word of God. Why not spend a whole year hearing God's incredible words to mankind?

So now let's rephrase the original question: why don't we use Story of the World Volume 1 as a supplement, like the other books in the package?

1. Most of the information in Story of the World Volume 1 is already contained in other books we use. We want to keep the cost down, so we don't duplicate info. For example, Ancient World is a wonderful, colorful book providing easy-to understand information as well as many color illustrations about ancient Egypt, Israel, Assyria, the Hittites, the Babylonians, etc.

2. We use Streams of Civilization as a resource for parents and for advanced students so that they can understand history from a Christian perspective. Were there cave men? (You'd be surprised at the answer!) How did we get different races after the flood if there was only Noah and his family? We don't read every page--just the relevant information. Story of the World doesn't contain that type of information.

Note: We do use Story of the World Volume 2 and beyond in our other history years. The author has a wonderful storytelling style that makes history come alive! If your kids are like mine, they won't grow up hating history!!!!

-crystal