Menu

Compare.Sonlight Science, Noeo Science, and Elemental Science

Marsha

We've used SL and Noeo and really enjoyed both. They are actually similar - books and activities/experiments that follow a schedule. SL covers multiple topics during the course of the program while Noeo focuses on one topic. SL does have activity sheets while Noeo relies on notebooking.

I think they are both easy to implement and very easy to manipulate (moving faster or slower to go in depth).

ETA: I googled Elemental Science and it looks like the same approach as Noeo in terms of notebooking and one topic. But it also has the worksheets. It seems like a toss-up??!!??

Edited by MissKNG

I have used Elemental Science and I like it. However when I ordered they did not have the science kits. I like that component of the other programs. My oldest really loves science and I am considering which should I use for next year. I like that Noeo has lots of hands on activities, but on the other hand I have heard no so good reviews about young scientist kits.

Note that the YS kits in NOEO are only a fraction of the experiments; many (at least in Chem 1and 2) come from the books-- I would say most.

So far I haven't had a problem with the kits, but then I haven't bothered reading the directions, and I think that is where 99% of the problems probably lie :). The actual materials have worked perfectly so far.

I have not used NOEO, but am intrigued by it. The only thing that holds me back is I have heard of quick boredom with week after week of the same type of notebook pages.

The 4-day SL science flows better than the 5-day. For some reason, it seems the 5-day books are just tacked on and has nothing to do with the rest of the week. I often do the 4-day and keep the extra book to read all together at the end of the year or when we have time. We have loved SL Sci A, B. We are doing C now, and we only like it, but only because I don't like the Usborne book it schedules except the animal sections. We are going to do Science D next year, which looks fabulous, albeit extremely detailed plant science experiments.