Menu

Please tell me what I can do with a KitchenAid Stand Mixer..

Hello,

My husband surprised me with a Kitchenaid mixer yesterday. It is from Costco, beautiful red, and a 5.5 qt. model. I do love it and love even more that my husband was sweet enough to get me one, BUT I am honestly not sure what I will do with it. So, I need some help.

I am not a huge baker and I don't want something that is just going to take up more counter space.

What can I make? What can this thing do? Give me everything you got because I need to know. Otherwise, there is a great chance that this sweet gift will be going back to the store.

Thanks so much! Everyone have a great day! :)

Buy the attachment and grind you some wheat berries, use he paddlecand make awesome bread dough...I do not keep mine on the counter, I store it in my tall cabinet with my crockpot.

We make cookies, cakes, use it to mix up my deviled eggs, whip up dressings..

Enjoy! Red is a fun color!

I didn't bake much until I got the mixer.

Just try it out with a simple bread recipe. You toss in water, flour, salt, and yeast and let the machine do the work while you unload the dishwasher or something.

You can mix a boxed cake mix in it. It won't tell on you. You can let it do the dirty work when you mix meatloaf. You might actually make Christmas cookies now because the mixer does the hard part. It will whip cream and meringue. It will beat a lot of eggs if you're doing French toast or a brunch casserole. Mix batter for pancakes or waffles. Make that awesome cake on the back of the Hershey's cocoa tin.

Just try a handful of recipes. If it's not for you, you can clea, box, and return it. However, it might turn you into a baker.

I agree with what the others have said. It makes some things so very, very easy you'll find yourself far more willing to make those things. Heck, even if you only use the mixer for holidays and special occasions it will still pay for itself with how significantly it helps.

The other nice thing about a really high quality mixer is that it could seriously last the rest of your life.

meatloaf?! I never thought of that and I really get the heebie-jeebies sometimes messing with raw meat. Using my mixer will be come a lifesaver for that!

Biscotti, bread, cookies, muffins -> I use mine all the time for muffins. I love my mixer and if I had a snazzy red one, I certainly wouldn't use the mixer cover that I have over it. Yay for you!

Thanks, everyone. :) I am going to really have to think about whether I want to keep it or not. All these things sound great, but I am still really not sure if I would actually use it enough.

I keep thinking that I could buy a new rug for my living room or we could paint some areas in the house for what that mixer cost. Hahaha!

Thanks again! :)

I use mine for large batches of corn bread, muffins, 2 loaves of "cheaters bread" at a time, large pancake mixes (home ground grains), and chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin bread, mashed potatoes, and to soak grains overnight to make them more easily digested.

I have a large family, so it is easier to make double batches to eat for 2 days or freeze some.

I have the 6.0 Red : Professional. ( I got it on Ebay and ordered the cheaper white, but the company emailed me to say it was damaged, so I got the Red one I really wanted). It is much easier for me to not have to keep up with different size beaters ( my kids lose things all the time).

I don't have much counter space and need new cabinets, but my mixer is pretty and helps make life easier for now.:001_smile:

I also like the bowl that won't break! And I hope it will last for many years, it is so sturdy!

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM

I have had my mixer for a few years now and I just gave myself the headsmack. Duh! Mix my meatloaf in there. You would think this would have occurred to me since I grind the meat for the loaf using the attachment. Take off attachment and put on paddle.

I use my kitchenaid frequently. I just baked bread this morning. At holiday time it makes it really easy to whip up all those cookies I bake for dh's clients.

I don't store it on my counter. It goes on my bakers rack next to my nutrimill.

I was just gifted my late grandmother's Kitchenaid (which needs repair before I can use it). Besides all of the fun things listed above, I'm really excited to start making our skin care - lotions or cremes based on shea butter. Youtube has some excellent videos on doing this, and they're all using Kitchenaid mixers :001_smile:. Really natural healthy lotions are expensive!

I think this is one of those gifts that will give back for years to come and your dh is a super sweetie to buy for you :001_smile:. Paint will need re-painting. This one's special.

The other nice thing about a really high quality mixer is that it could seriously last the rest of your life.

Unless your husband takes the meat mallet to it when he can't get the hook to come off :001_huh: Why do men always think force is the answer? Fortunately he is out of town this weekend when I found out what he had done :confused: He is actually the cook in the family, but I consider the KitchenAid mine, or I guess I considerED it mine. Think I will be picking out the red one for him to replace it with :001_smile:

I do all the above that everyone else has mentioned. (Except the chicken! I never knew!! adding that to the list.) I bought this for it. I use it to make apple sauce. Except for the stems you can run your apples through it and it makes perfect applesauce. I then can it. I also use it for tomatoes and then make suace. I have even made pear sauce! It's delicious!

I too, was really hesitant to buy it. I went back and forth in my head about it. I forget where I ended up getting it but they had a great deal with free shipping so I bit the bullet and got it. I have never regretted it! I have even let it sit for a month at a time without using it and I still don't regret the purchase. It is that helpful and saves me a ton of time.

I do not have the counter space for it either so I keep mine under the sink in the cabinet with a cover on it. Not a big deal.

And you can shred cooked chicken breast in it in no time flat! (2 or 3 at a time with the paddle and it becomes perfectly shredded!)

Oh my word, why have I never heard this before? I have been wondering whether I need a KA mixer. I bake and knead regularly, but I have wondered whether it would be worth the cabinet space. Shredding chicken with it, though--genius. This may have tipped the scales.

Terri

And you can shred cooked chicken breast in it in no time flat! (2 or 3 at a time with the paddle and it becomes perfectly shredded!)

Wow! I will definitely have to try that. I came to this thread to see if I could give the OP suggestions, but everything I would have suggested was already mentioned. Everything except the above that is. I found another use for my KA stand mixer. I love that thing!

I use the wire whisks to mix granola ingredients (drizzle liquids into the dry stuff). This is much easier than hand mixing!

It is also helpful when you have to cut in butter or other solid fat to flour, like in biscuit and pastry recipes. Simple use wire whisks to mix flour, salt, baking powder, etc, and then add cut up solid fat/butter while mixer is running. So much faster than arduously hand cutting in fat!

I remember I was so pleased w/ the speed of making cookies and cakes w/ the Kitchen Aid when it first entered my kitchen. However, I ended up burning the motor out by making whole wheat bread in it. It is not cut out for regular use w/ whole grain bread making.

Enjoy our mixer!

I use the wire whisks to mix granola ingredients (drizzle liquids into the dry stuff). This is much easier than hand mixing!

It is also helpful when you have to cut in butter or other solid fat to flour, like in biscuit and pastry recipes. Simple use wire whisks to mix flour, salt, baking powder, etc, and then add cut up solid fat/butter while mixer is running. So much faster than arduously hand cutting in fat!

I remember I was so pleased w/ the speed of making cookies and cakes w/ the Kitchen Aid when it first entered my kitchen. However, I ended up burning the motor out by making whole wheat bread in it. It is not cut out for regular use w/ whole grain bread making.

Enjoy our mixer!

Really? You can cut in butter with the whisk?! Awesome. I still do this by hand. I have the grinder attachment, which is awesome for things like shredding cheese or grinding tomatoes into sauce for pizza, as well as grinding meat.

When I make lasagna, I use it to mix the ricotta with the eggs, some spinach, etc. Makes everything nicely blended.

I make cakes from scratch at the drop of a hat, and icing too.

It's nice for mixing the eggs and veggies together for quiche.

My kids use it to bake.

I make a nice low fat, low sugar bananna walnut muffin recipe.

I make whipped cream for pumpkin pies, and mix a little maple syrup in with it - yum!!! Come to think of it, I also mix the innards of the pies.

It's one of those tools that I don't use every day, but I really like having it when I have a task it will do well.

Wait! WHAT? ::takes notes::

This morning I heard a woman say that she uses hers to shred cooked chicken breasts. She said it comes out "restaurant quality".

I had never heard of such a thing, but I see a pp mentioned it too. I wonder if the Bosch can do that. I get tired of shredding chicken.

Make that double WHAT!!! I was going to make tortilla soup this week and I am going to try this!!

Any tips? Hot or cold chicken?

And thanks!

Ooooo... you guys really have me thinking now. Maybe, just maybe I would like using this new mixer. Knowing that I can do more than just cakes is a good thing. I just joined Weight Watchers, so lots of cakes/cookies are out right now. Haha! Gotta find some healthy recipes that I can whip up with this new Kitchenaid. Hmmmmm... :)

I rarely use mine. I loved the look of it on the counter when I first bought it but now I like the counters sparkling clean with nothing on them. The KA sits in the cabinet mostly untouched. I use it for baking cookies, which I mainly do at Christmas. Everything else mentioned above I do by hand. Call me weird. :tongue_smilie:

I do think it was very sweet of your dh to surprise you with one!

• 1 year later...
Guest Toyotawoman

My children got together and bought me a beautiful KA mixer for Christmas!  I've wanted one for years....problem is I never bought one for myself because A: always dieting and figured all recipes would be fattening....B: really didn't know what I would do with one...not a baker and live by myself...everything I would make I would eat!!!!

However, I love it and decided to learn to use it even if I had to feed everyone I work with!!!  Just made boxed brownie recipe this morning....first try!  Wow, that was so easy and less messy!  I will make bread just because I think that's cool!  I'm a Weight Watchers person so I will try to find some appropriate recipes thru them.  Any help would be appreciated!

I use the paddle to cut in butter and shortening for pie crusts, biscuits, and more. Quick, easy!

Really? You can cut in butter with the whisk?! Awesome. I still do this by hand. I have the grinder attachment, which is awesome for things like shredding cheese or grinding tomatoes into sauce for pizza, as well as grinding meat.

The first thing I did after getting mine last year was shred chicken.  I use hot chicken breasts that I either had in the slow cooker all day or if I didn't have time, poached in a pan with stock and seasoning.  I start out slow and increase the speed a few notches.  Just be careful how long you leave it running.  Once I let it go too long and have VERY finely shredded chicken.

Buy a container of Hershey's extra dark chocolate and make the cake on the back to thank him. Best chocolate cake EVER (and yes, the batter is very thin).

I don't understand why you'd need a mixer for this -- doesn't it use oil?

Honestly, it depends what you make. For a lot of things, a hand mixer or a wooden spoon really is sufficient. I am finding that I use mine less often, because, even though I keep a mixer on the counter and bake all the time, it's faster and easier to just use a hand mixer or do it all by hand. 

I am intrigued by all the non-baking ideas. How interesting. I never would have thought!